PDA

View Full Version : Does this work well?

SoCalSteve
05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

Does this work well? Does it look stupid?

If I decide to keep my Hors Categorie, I will want to change out the bars to flat top (obviously they wont work with a quill stem).

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Lifelover
05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
They don't look bad if you can push them all the way down. If you have to use it to get height, they look a little silly.

I I currently use them on two of my bikes and I don't notice them at all. As a matter of fact, I had to think about it for a minute to remember which bikes they were on.

eddief
05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
why won't flat bars work with a quill stem? if you are speaking of 25.4 vs 26.0 bars, would not a shim solve that problem?

those conversion things always look like conversion things. on the other hand, my travel bike has this one:http://yhst-84224226242177.stores.yahoo.net/vothstad.html

it looks ok, provides for many stem options, and works great.

i'd take an appropriate quill almost every time. only downside of quills is when or if you gotta change out the bars.

John M
05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
why won't flat bars work with a quill stem? if you are speaking of 25.4 vs 26.0 bars, would not a shim solve that problem?

those conversion things always look like conversion things. on the other hand, my travel bike has this one:http://yhst-84224226242177.stores.yahoo.net/vothstad.html

i'd take an appropriate quill almost every time. only downside of quills is when or if you gotta change out the bars.

I guessing that by flat top, he means a drop bar with molded or flattened top portions, which obviously won't work with a stem that doesn't have an open face plate, which most quills don't.

SoCalSteve
05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I guessing that by flat top, he means a drop bar with molded or flattened top portions, which obviously won't work with a stem that doesn't have an open face plate, which most quills don't.

Bingo! That's exactly what I mean.

Thanks,

Steve

Pete Serotta
05-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a SALSA threaded that has an open face plate....... Got it frome Excel

Bingo! That's exactly what I mean.

Thanks,

Steve

mike p
05-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Steve, I used one once and you really had to pay attention to tell it was even there. But it needs to be sunk as low as it can go to look ok.

Mike

SoCalSteve
05-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Steve, I used one once and you really had to pay attention to tell it was even there. But it needs to be sunk as low as it can go to look ok.

Mike

Thats the impression I am getting.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have decided to keep the Hors Cat and modernize it a bit.

Steve

sjbraun
05-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I just installed their stem adaptor and stem on my fixie.

They work nicely.

Steve

mike p
05-22-2009, 07:11 PM
If your worried about to much saddle to bar drop remember you probably won't be using a -17. Is the Hors Categorie a sloper, then a -10 or -6 may look better and give you less drop.

Mike

SoCalSteve
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
If your worried about to much saddle to bar drop remember you probably won't be using a -17. Is the Hors Categorie a sloper, then a -10 or -6 may look better and give you less drop.

Mike

I wish it were a sloper! Its not.

I am not worried about drop. The quill thats in there now is pushed all the way down and it could be lower.

Dekonick
05-22-2009, 08:46 PM

AND thats only with old quill stems. New quill can have 2 piece face plate - so you can change bars.

Dekonick
05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Thats the impression I am getting.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have decided to keep the Hors Cat and modernize it a bit.

Steve

AND YOU WONT REGRET IT! :beer:

totally_fixxate
05-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Nitto
Deda
ITM
Cinelli-if you can find one

http://www.bikeparts.com/productsearch.asp?manufacturerName=Nitto&selCategory=1453&selManufacturer=386&categoryName=Stems%A0-%A0%A0Risers,%A0Adapters,%A0Parts