PDA

View Full Version : OT: what makes a Super Model a Super Model

Smiley
05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
I want to know if Gisselle Bunche (sp) was a super model before she took her clothes off for Victoria Secrets or did it take her dating and marrying Tom Brady to elivate her to this status.

The word Super Model is bantered all around now a days so whats a foreign guy like me supposed to think.

Thanks for your insightful responses

csm
05-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I always thought it was x-ray vision, the ability to fly or something along those lines.
strangely, while very hot, the invisible woman never made it as a super model.

Ozz
05-22-2009, 11:32 AM
shoot....and I thought we were going to discuss Campy Super Record vs plain old Record........

My $0.02...."Super Model" is a a marketing tool / label that is used my folks in the models agents to expand her marketability beyond being photographed and into talk shows / game shows / political pundit / whatever....I think that being a best selling SI Swimsuit model is the best way to do this.

Sandy
05-22-2009, 11:52 AM
My perception is that a Super Model is a name loosely applied to those models who have become especially well know and are in constant demand. They demand and receive the big bucks for their work.

Sandy

CNY rider
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
This was the cause of an epic argument that occurred on the Stern show.
Carol Alt was the guest; Fred refused to acknowledge her as a "supermodel" and much debate ensued. Carol was (not surprisingly) not thrilled with Fred's take on things.
Note that this was many years ago, when Alt was at the height of her popularity.

nahtnoj
05-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Janice Dickinson invented the term to describe herself (why do I know this?). So I find it hard to believe there is a hard and fast definition. You know it when you see it...

toaster
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Super salary.

I'm being serious. That's supposed to be the criteria, what type of money a model earns determines her status.

Kevan
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
A cross I have to carry.

johnmdesigner
05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Now you are swimming in the deep end of the pool without your water wings.
The real "supermodels" were created in the late 80s - 90s
Shalom Harlow
Linda Evangelista
Amber Valetta
Christy Turlington
Yasmeen Ghauri (my favorite)
Carmine Kass (a stretch)
Their ability to project their personality through the clothes they were modeling gave them a certain something.
(someone once said in the 90s that Kate Moss was no better than a common shop girl, but she has gotten better since then).

Keith A
05-22-2009, 12:51 PM
From WikiPedia...

Gisele Caroline Bündchen (born July 20, 1980) is a Brazilian model and film actress. According to Forbes, she is the highest-paid model in the world and also the sixteenth richest woman in the entertainment world, having earned $33 million in 2006 and $35 million in 2007 alone, adding to her estimated $150 million fortune. She is also listed on Guinness Book of World Records as the world's richest supermodel and has appeared on more magazine covers than any other model.

EDS
05-22-2009, 12:55 PM
From WikiPedia...

Gisele Caroline Bündchen (born July 20, 1980) is a Brazilian model and film actress. According to Forbes, she is the highest-paid model in the world and also the sixteenth richest woman in the entertainment world, having earned $33 million in 2006 and $35 million in 2007 alone, adding to her estimated $150 million fortune. She is also listed on Guinness Book of World Records as the world's richest supermodel and has appeared on more magazine covers than any other model.

So Brady's $100 million contract is just bonus money for them!

Smiley
05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQhBI9pIHI

U'r kidding right 33-35 million, whats the world come to ??

KJMUNC
05-22-2009, 01:20 PM
ATMW (according to my wife), the term originally meant the model had a certain number of covershoots with particular magazines (Cosmo, Vogue, etc.) Kind of like gold vs. platinum records I guess.

I don't think that applies any more since there are so many trade mags and print is no longer the sole medium for fashion adverts.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
. . . there's always a need for something more. Being a "star" isn't enough. Now you have to be a "superstar." It doesn't mean much to me and actually ends up often cheapening the word it's attached to .

Various other words in our language and society have undergone this same semantic inflation. The one that really got to me was after 9-11, when suddenly anyone who happened to have died in the attacks was a "hero" even if they simply were unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or in Iraq, every soldier who comes home is suddenly a "hero" no matter what they did over there. Do I admire them? Well, yeah, of course. But they're not all "heroes" just because they happened to get sent over there.

The whole "model" thing in general is a bit beyond me at this point, since it represents a certain kind of definition of beauty that was agreed on by, uh, who exactly? I have no idea. Many of the women who are supposed to be models or "super" models I don't find that attractive. It just doesn't make a lot of sense and it seems mainly a marketing thing. Same as those fashion magazines that always seem to be proclaiming what this year's "in' fashion trend or color is going to be. According to who, exactly? Apparently according to somebody who wants to sell me all new clothes. Ridiculous . . .

BBD

rounder
05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
So Brady's $100 million contract is just bonus money for them!

She probably made Brady sign a prenuptual agreement.

jlwdm
05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
BumbleBeeDave:

You don't need to get bent out of shape because the fashion industry has not bought into yellow and black stripes.

Jeff

Lifelover
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermodel)

"The term supermodel refers to a highly-paid élite fashion model who usually has a worldwide reputation and often a background in haute couture and commercial modeling. The term took hold in the popular culture of the 1980s and 1990s. Supermodels usually work for top fashion designers and labels. They have multi-million dollar contracts, endorsements and campaigns. They have branded themselves as household names and worldwide recognition is associated with their modeling careers. They have been on the covers of various magazines. Claudia Schiffer stated, "In order to become a supermodel one must be on all the covers all over the world at the same time so that people can recognise the girls." First-name recognition is a solid indication of supermodel status in the fashion industry."

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
. . . that Zoot Suits went outy of fashion! :crap: :butt: :eek:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave:

You don't need to get bent out of shape because the fashion industry has not bought into yellow and black stripes.

Jeff

RonW87
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Now you are swimming in the deep end of the pool without your water wings.
The real "supermodels" were created in the late 80s - 90s
Shalom Harlow
Linda Evangelista
Amber Valetta
Christy Turlington
Yasmeen Ghauri (my favorite)
Carmine Kass (a stretch)
Their ability to project their personality through the clothes they were modeling gave them a certain something.
(someone once said in the 90s that Kate Moss was no better than a common shop girl, but she has gotten better since then).

Gotta add Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell to that list. Remember all the top models appeared in that George Michael video ("Freedom") - but not GM himself!

Blue Jays
05-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I have a Spectrum Super model and it's characterized by double-butted and shaped titanium tubing. Jeez, that was an easy question.

Ti Designs
05-22-2009, 10:47 PM
OK, so if a super model was going to show up on a ride, would you go?

Ahneida Ride
05-22-2009, 11:02 PM
That's just twoderfull. What ever happened to fiveplay?

any two for elevenis?

I am not a triplefaced triplecrosser !

Good by and threedaloo !

--------------------

Actually the REAL supermodels are the plain Jane's next door.
I love a unpretentious secure woman sans makeup with a passion for
humorous cosmopolitan spontaneity.

Louis
05-23-2009, 01:04 AM
OK, so if a super model was going to show up on a ride, would you go?

Is this a trick question?

Aside: Cycling is a great sport, but if there is one huge problem (other than the fact that we have to share the roads with cars) it is that there are very very few women cyclists. I can live with that, because I don't do it to meet women, but boy it would be nice if say, even 15% of the serious cyclists around here were women. If I had to guess, I would say that it's about 2%, max.

Ti Designs
05-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Is this a trick question?

Aside: Cycling is a great sport, but if there is one huge problem (other than the fact that we have to share the roads with cars) it is that there are very very few women cyclists. I can live with that, because I don't do it to meet women, but boy it would be nice if say, even 15% of the serious cyclists around here were women. If I had to guess, I would say that it's about 2%, max.

You're never going to find a super model who's a serious cyclist - too many liability issues. My attempt to coach models for a fitness ad series was met with "what? You want them to ride on the streets?? Are you nuts???". The serious cyclist/model ain't gonna happen, would you settle for a stylish one?

As for there not being many serious women cyclists, I think that's because of how men and women in general come into the sport so differently. I find that women are coached on trust while men are coached on respect. The women come into it thinking they know nothing about the sport, they're afraid but wanting to learn. A little time to build up the trust and they make the best students. Men come into it thinking cycling is so simple, it must be all about strength and effort. Almost every guy I've started working with has had that 10 minutes of "let's test the coach".

r_mutt
05-23-2009, 12:12 PM
any models name who is in the public realm is probably a supermodel.

btw, you forgot Kate moss!