PDA

View Full Version : Giro depressing

paczki
05-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Maybe it's just me but when Di Luca took the maglia rosa I lost interest. More accurately the race began to depress me. The GC is full of unrepentant dopers and as Cunego hinted it looks like a race at two speeds.

csm
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I've found almost no desire to even read the standings in the local paper. don't know if it's because of the doping issues over the last few seasons or just that I don't have a dog in the race so to speak. I've taken a new attitude towards riding this season (unemployment helps!) in that I just ride to ride. no more mileage watching, feeling like I have to get out and ride, etc. Now I just go and see where I end up. sorta liberating.

fiamme red
05-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I haven't watched much of the race, but did see part of the time trial last night on Universal Sports. Usually time trials are dull, but this one wasn't at all.

I loved seeing Di Luca push away the obnoxious fat tifoso in the pink t-shirt. :banana:

jhcakilmer
05-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Maybe it's just me but when Di Luca took the maglia rosa I lost interest. More accurately the race began to depress me. The GC is full of unrepentant dopers and as Cunego hinted it looks like a race at two speeds.

I'd have to complete disagree.....I'm loving the race. Why do we feel that we can throw around the word "doper" (like we're enlightened), who are you referring too......Di Luca, Menchov, Leiphimer, Basso (he did repent, served his time) have all been consistent throughout there career......no break out performances.....and than lost into oblivion.......unlike riders like Cunego, Kloden, etc who look very suspicious.....i.e. 2004 Giro winner with 4 stage wins, and now he can't even stay with the leaders on even "tame" climbs.

The TT yesterday, was hands-down the most entertaining TT I've have ever witnessed.....that course was crazy!! And the final week with be great too.

Go Levi!

socalspeedsk8r
05-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I would also agree. This has been a really great race so far and the TT yesterday was nice to watch. No aero bikes or deep dish wheel sets, just straight-up sole racing.

Scott

Climb01742
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
just being able to watch cycling--any cycling--is nice for me. i have my ethical beer-goggles on and this girl looks damn good right about now.

MattTuck
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I've found almost no desire to even read the standings in the local paper.

Your local paper publishes the Giro standings?
+50 for the editor of that paper.

csm
05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Your local paper publishes the Giro standings?
+50 for the editor of that paper.

yes. but don't give them too much credit. the rest of the paper pretty much sucks.

cody.wms
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
The race is full of ex-dopers. Theres no doubt about that. But every race is going to be for a long time, if not forever. Personally, Ive come to accept it. I expect the same drug abuse from my favorite baseball, basketball, and football players. But at least cycling is doing something about it.

Gene Upshaw, may god rest his soul, who was the NFL union president, said (and I'm paraphrasing) that there was no way they were going to do blood tests on NFL players. Baseball rode steroids back to popularity following the strike. Yet cycling continues to shoot itself in the foot, all in the name of trying to make the sport cleaner and better.

... a race at two speeds.

I think its more of the fact that Cunego isn't going to win a grand tour ever again, and he hasn't realized that yet, or hes realized it and cant accept it. And that's a shame cause he's a great one day rider. The Giro was a different world then, since Lance et al., the real GC riders, skipped it.

Here's the standings from 2004:

Leading overall final standings:
1. Damiano Cunego (Ita) 88 hrs 40:43 secs
2. Serhiy Honchar (Ukraine) at 2minutes 2 secs
3. Gilberto Simoni (Italy) 2:05
4. Dario Cioni (Ita) 4:36
5. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) 5:05
6. Stefano Garzelli (Ita) 5:31
7. Wladimir Belli (Ita) 6:12
8. Bradley McGee (Aus) 6:15
9. Tadej Valjavec (Slo) 6:34
10. Juan Manuel Garate Cepa (Spa) 7:47

None of these cats was a GC contender outside of the Giro. Simoni tried, talked the trash, and failed spectacularly.

I feel better about this Giro, not only cause I'm watching it on TV at the moment, but particularly because of all the anti-doping stuff Columbia has done while winning everything. Dopings not gone, and it never will be, but at least there are teams that can show that they are (largely) clean and still get results.

1centaur
05-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I like this Giro. The course seems very interestingly put together, some of the roads are insanely narrow (and perfectly paved!) vs. the Tour's, the Italians have a racing ethos that shines in their home event in a way the French can't match, Armstrong's struggling body is fascinating to watch (Sastre's time-trialling stroke was SO much better than Armstrong's I thought I was in bizarro world) and there's lots of major emerging talent competing with last-day-in-the-sun efforts. If only Universal Sports did better at hiding the name of the day's winner on their site when I arrive home in the evening, I would say without reservation that Comcast's lack of this channel was driving me to change my viewing habits to the Net.

Ti Designs
05-22-2009, 12:14 PM

You're watching the wrong racing. A couple of the riders from the pedal stroke class and the indoor base mileage sessions are now racing, and doing well. It's way more fun to watch someone you know, and you can be pretty sure they're not cheating...

victoryfactory
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Any grand tour is interesting to me...
Compelling actually.
And we haven't even had the compulsory midnight hotel drug raid yet
(A famous Giro tradition)

And watch out for the ITT on the LAST DAY!
It's anybody's race to grab if they are within a minute or so, unlike the
TDF coronation rides into Paris. (I don't mind that really, but this
will be breathtaking drama, no?)

VF

wasfast
05-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Watch the race, not the racers. Believing in a performance has proven highly doubtful in most cases.

Giant thumbs up for Universal Sports and their coverage. Far longer segments, much better commentary and good feed from Italy. Dreaming that they'll buy the rights to more shows and let VS get back to bull riding.

paczki
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Watch the race, not the racers. Believing in a performance has proven highly doubtful in most cases.

Giant thumbs up for Universal Sports and their coverage. Far longer segments, much better commentary and good feed from Italy. Dreaming that they'll buy the rights to more shows and let VS get back to bull riding.

True dat.

I'm glad to hear no one shares my feeling!

Marcusaurelius
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I love warching the the Giro. I just wish that Universal Sports had been involved before this. I actually never had any idea what I was missing just watching the Tour every year (only thing you can find that televised).

I also think this Giro is unpredictable and I have no idea who is going to win but I'm pulling for Levi. Lance starting to find his form has also been interesting.

Rueda Tropical
05-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Always loved the Giro. This one has been very entertaining to watch. I'll let those who are paid to worry about such things worry about doping. I have no idea who's performance has been enhanced and whose hasn't but it's all still compelling for me.

Yes, I'd love it if things were totally clean - most of all for the riders - so they don't have to contemplate drug use to stay competitive. It's like boxing. Love the sport and the athletes even though the sports always been controlled by dirt bags. That never got in the way of appreciating a match.

jimp1234
05-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I've been enjoying it. But I'm a sucker for any cycling on TV(butts on bikes, as I call it... :) ). I also like that Universal looks like they're aggressive and going mano a mano with Versus to some degree. Maybe they'll try to bid on the rights for PR or the TDF next year. They need to steal Paul and Phil and Bobke though. They also bought that cool web dashboard created by Adobe for the ATOC, so maybe they'll put the squeeze on cycling.tv for web coverage next season as well.

Rueda Tropical
05-23-2009, 06:27 AM
I missed Phil, Paul and Bobke at the Giro. It might be pavlovian training but Phil's voice and watching pro cycling are connected in my sub-conscious. Seemed like something was missing without it.

oldguy00
05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Not such a big fan of Cunego or anything he says. Like Simoni, he talks a lot, but can't deliver anymore (not that he is bad, but just not winning).
I think it is great to see how well Lance is doing, and I do think he is doing great all things considered. Seems like so many people expect him to win any race he goes to, completely forgetting he had 3 years off and just broke his collar bone......I think he's gonna be ready for the TDF.

jhcakilmer
05-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I missed Phil, Paul and Bobke at the Giro. It might be pavlovian training but Phil's voice and watching pro cycling are connected in my sub-conscious. Seemed like something was missing without it.

IMO, yes and no.....I'd rather Universal put the money towards actually buying the race video rights, than having to pay Paul and Phil. If they can do both than great, but if not, the guy they have now doing the Giro is fine, IMO.

Plus, I love that they (universal) broadcast it via the web!! I can watch it live, or watch it later....I don't need to set my DVR, or worry about commercials, etc......unlike VS that broadcast at different times, has a 1:1 commercial ratio, and sometimes only covers 30 minutes of a race (15 minutes if you don't count the advertisements...ie LBL)