PDA

View Full Version : Fulcrum wheel review question

LegendRider
05-22-2009, 08:47 AM
From a CyclingNews review:

Fulcrum Racing 3 2-Way Fit
According to Piazza, tests carried out in collaboration with Hutchinson demonstrated that a Fulcrum wheel fitted with a tubeless tyre has a rolling capacity more than 31-percent higher than the same wheel fitted with a standard clincher tyre

What does rolling capacity mean? Generally tubeless tires are advertised as having lower rolling resistance. Is this some sort Italian - English translation error?

Keith A
05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Can't answer your question, but it is interesting that both Shimano and Campy will now be offering a tubeless road wheelset. I wonder if one day we will all be riding tubeless wheels? I would like to see more options for tires.

Louis
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I wondered the same thing as I read it (no realizing that that was going to be your question) and concluded that they must mean tread wear, i.e. the number of miles you get from the tire, which could be seen as "rolling capacity."

LesMiner
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
The Mavic R-Sys can also be fitted with tubeless tires. Mavic sells an aftermarket kit to install a stem in the rim. Does not work as well as the stem on the Shimano. The Mavic is smaller and at 100psi will pop out.

old fat man
05-22-2009, 01:27 PM
The Mavic R-Sys can also be fitted with tubeless tires. Mavic sells an aftermarket kit to install a stem in the rim. Does not work as well as the stem on the Shimano. The Mavic is smaller and at 100psi will pop out.

yeah, only a minor problem, right? at 100 psi i don't want a blowout, let alone a complete failure of the valve! :crap:

sg8357
05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
yeah, only a minor problem, right? at 100 psi i don't want a blowout, let alone a complete failure of the valve! :crap:

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters, shoot valve stems at Mavic R-Sys
wheels and see if the spokes fly apart.

Scott G.

scirocco
05-23-2009, 05:20 AM
From a CyclingNews review:

Fulcrum Racing 3 2-Way Fit
According to Piazza, tests carried out in collaboration with Hutchinson demonstrated that a Fulcrum wheel fitted with a tubeless tyre has a rolling capacity more than 31-percent higher than the same wheel fitted with a standard clincher tyre

What does rolling capacity mean? Generally tubeless tires are advertised as having lower rolling resistance. Is this some sort Italian - English translation error?

I suspect it's some sort of inverse to rolling resistance. Probably dreamed up by the marketing boys who decided that it sounds better to be able to claim that having "more" of something sounds better than having "less" of something (so "more rolling capacity" is better than "less rolling resistance"). But what would I know?

regardless, Fulcrum 3 wheels are the business...