PDA

View Full Version : hot weather wool jersey recommendation?

d_douglas
05-22-2009, 06:52 AM
In the winter, I wear whatever I feel like for riding, most of which includees wool on some level. I have recently cracked out my synthetic summer jerseys and it reminded me of how absolutely foul these things smell.

Can anyone recommend a very thin wool jersey that would be good for hot weather (+30C/90F)? I have an old SS Swobo jersey that is very nice quality, but a bit heavy and a bit snug (unhappy face).

I have seen the Icebreaker ones, but many people rave about Ibex wool. I get pretty hot and sweaty, so the cooler I am, the happier I am.

I know there are Rapha jerseys, but these are just ridiculously expensive. I am one of these fools who spends lots on bikes but relatively little on clothing. I know, good clothing is a good investment, but even here in Switzerland in the land of Assos, I cannot justify $250 for a jersey.

Any recommendations for modestly priced wool?

CNY rider
05-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I have one of the Ibex wool short sleeves. Very nice jersey.
Would not be my first choice in temps above 80F; it's dark colored and does get warm.

I also have one from the Finger Lakes Ramble last year. Very nice jerseys that House Industries had made up. I'm not sure of the exact origin of the jersey but their very nice in hot weather and I don't think that the price was too steep.

scirocco
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
If you don't mind buying from overseas, Ground Effect (http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products.php) in New Zealand have really nice lightweight merino wool stuff. I have four or five of their bike jerseys - beautifully made and fine enough that they don't itch. The NZ dollar is pretty worthless so prices are good too.

Personally I think the upper limit for even the finest wool is about 25deg C. I put up with Lycra above that. :)

xjoex
05-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm a fan of the Sugoi Wallaroo stuff:
http://www2.sugoi.com/usa/eng/SugoiFiles/ProductImages//270_270_58301U.MTD.png

But I must admit I don't wear wool above 75F.

-Joe

Birddog
05-22-2009, 08:49 AM
This thread will probably degrade into Rapha bashing, but before it does, I'll give them a +1. Their lower priced jerseys which have a higher Merino content (40%) might be just a tad too hot for you, and the zips which are longer than many Euro jerseys are still only about 7.5 in. or 190cm. The fit and finish is excellent and the pocket layout is perfect. The Rapha designers have apparently actually ridden a bike. So far mine has been good for up to 90*F. They have a Lightweight model with fill zip and lower (25%) Merino content that sells for $175 US. That might be steep if you have to pay VAT (do SW have a VAT?) but should solve any heat issues.

I also have an Ibex 100% Merino. It is nice, but has some inherent flaws. First and foremost is the "sag" that is apparently impossible to design around in a 100% wool product. If you actually use the pockets to store stuff, then the jersey looks like a miniskirt. The pockets are also on the smallish (narrow) side IMO, and not so easy to access. The zip is ample at about 12". The fit is also a little too broad i.e., it seems like they were designing to include too large a cross section of body types. I would not wear the Ibex in temps over the high 80*s.

Overall I'd give the Ibex a 7.5 on a scale of 10 and the Rapha a solid 9.5. Over time the Rapha might just creep up a little more. Initially when I purchased a wool jersey, I thought buying a 100% merino was the way to go. I have since changed my mind, mostly because of the sag issue. Most reviews I've read on all wool jerseys mention this.

Birddog

PS I must say the prices and description on those Ground Effect jerseys look good.

pdmtong
05-22-2009, 09:24 AM
+1 on the rapha lightweight. it works GREAT. of course the bashing is all price related. so fill in previous discussion of price/value [here]

Blue Jays
05-22-2009, 09:27 AM
The commemorative Finger Lakes Ramble jerseys (graciously designed by Rich at House Industries) are premium-quality Woolistics garments.

93legendti
05-22-2009, 09:30 AM
I've worn my lightweight Ibex jersey (Fausto) in 35 deg. (C) weather in Israel. It was comfortable even while climbing a mountain.

d_douglas
05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
As a Canadian, Sugoi appeals to me, but I think their stuff is too heavy for my needs.

I wonder about Rapha, but my wallet says 'no', so I am following its lead for the moment.

Woolistic sounds great, but where do you get inforomation about details on their jerseys?

Ibex still intrigues me...

Has anyone ridden with those Icebreaker cycling jerseys? They are pretty.

So, I was just assuming that I would want 100% merino, but you are right, the sag factor is there on my winter stuff. I have no hangup about materials, except for the fact that my synthetic stuff smells wretched. Yes, I wash them and myself regularly - this material just doesn't agree with my chemistry.

What percentage of wool vs polyester will keep me smelling nice? The regular Raphas are 40/60 Merino / polyester - does the wool negate the polyester stench?

MIN
05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
i have a sportswool rapha jersey and i don't wear it above 80 degs. assos and synthetic mesh jerseys are far superior in that temperature range.

ty-ro
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
As far as wool goes, I've got Swobo, Icebreaker, and the 3 types of Rapha jerseys, the lightweight, club, and classic. The Swobo and the Icebreaker are cold weather only. They are just too warm. For cold temps, the Icebreaker stuff is tops. As for Raphas, the lightweight is obviously the best choice for high temps. Being a really lanky guy, theclub can get a bit baggy in hot weather when sweat seems to weight them down a little bit. It's certainly not a deal breaker by any means, but it is most noticeable when the jersey gets a little bit weighed down with sweat. The club fit jersey has a little bit more relaxed fit than the others. I'm not a huge fan of the little center pocket, but it is just right for a small pump or a cell phone and cash. I have to say that I prefer wool for <70 degrees F days when you know you are going to get wet and will need to retain as much body heat on downhills.

I think if you are looking for a wool jersey that will function well in hot temps, the Rapha lightweight is the way to go.

To add more to the equation, the Rapha wool baselayers really rock. I know they are not a warm weather thing, but on cooler days they are my favorite article of clothing.

Louis
05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I have recently cracked out my synthetic summer jerseys and it reminded me of how absolutely foul these things smell.

Try a different detergent and let them soak a bit (say 30 min) part way through the first wash cycle. I also use Borax Laundry Booster (http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/index.cfm?page_id=56) which seems to help.

You can buy quite a bit of soap for the price of a wool jersey!

thejen12
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a very lightweight Ibex Spin jersey and would prefer it over all else in hot temps. I don't know if they make something that light weight in the men's jerseys, but my husband is very happy with his Ibex Beezer full zip jersey and wears it in all weather. Neither of us have any sag issues with those jerseys.

Jenn

93legendti
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
As a Canadian, Sugoi appeals to me, but I think their stuff is too heavy for my needs.

I wonder about Rapha, but my wallet says 'no', so I am following its lead for the moment.

Woolistic sounds great, but where do you get inforomation about details on their jerseys?

Ibex still intrigues me...

Has anyone ridden with those Icebreaker cycling jerseys? They are pretty.

So, I was just assuming that I would want 100% merino, but you are right, the sag factor is there on my winter stuff. I have no hangup about materials, except for the fact that my synthetic stuff smells wretched. Yes, I wash them and myself regularly - this material just doesn't agree with my chemistry.

What percentage of wool vs polyester will keep me smelling nice? The regular Raphas are 40/60 Merino / polyester - does the wool negate the polyester stench?
I think you neeed ~80% wool, which is what my Smartwool arm and leg warmers are and they just don't stink. It was nice on vacation to only take 2 jerseys, with the knowledge they would not stink after a ride and would not need to be washed before my next ride. Anti-microbial is a thing of beauty.

gdw
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
If you answer no to both questions and prefer function over fashion, check out Ibex's short sleeve t-shirts.
http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/ProductDetail.php?GID=1085&VID=12931&Product=Peak-Sport-Zip
I use the long sleeve version year round for mountain biking, hiking, running, and camping. The 18.5 superfine yarn is really light and makes a great base layer in cold weather yet is light enough to be comfortable for summer rides in Colorado and Utah. Ibex's 100 percent wool shirts don't get rank like the blends and are a real bargain at under $100.

Ken Robb
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I have 3 different style jersies from ibex and they are all very nice. Only one is a "bike" jersey with rear pockets. I only carry light stuff in jersey pockets so the all-wool-sag isn't a big deal for me. I second the idea of trying their t-shirts but I prefer a style with a zipper or buttons at the neck.

Rivendell sells some nice wool clothing too.

jblande
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
is there any place that sells rapha at a discount?

majl
05-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Another suggestion if you don't need rear pockets: I've yet to see an all-wool jersey that is lighter than Patagonia's Wool 2 line. I have two of their S/S crews and 2 L/S (one with zipper, one without). Great for commuting or as a base layer.

Their new spring/summer collection has an even lighter Wool 1 line, but it's a wool-poly blend.

Louis
05-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Ha ha - that's a good one :)

JeffS
05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I've never seen an Icebreaker cycling jersey.

I have several Ibex jerseys and wish I could justify buying more, as the new line is much better looking than previous years.

What I currently have is not thin, though it doesn't prevent me from wearing it in any temp. One of the newer models is thinner though.

I don't consider 75% polyester to be a "wool jersey", so Rapha is out on principle. Does anyone really buy a black "lightweight" jersey? Seems counterproductive. Yes, I know they make it in white, but black is the one they choose for all their glamor shots.

JeffS
05-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I have 3 different style jersies from ibex and they are all very nice. Only one is a "bike" jersey with rear pockets. I only carry light stuff in jersey pockets so the all-wool-sag isn't a big deal for me. I second the idea of trying their t-shirts but I prefer a style with a zipper or buttons at the neck.

Rivendell sells some nice wool clothing too.

Icebreaker short-sleeve zip
http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/search.html?flag=Tops_Short%20Sleeve%20Zips&gender=Man

Ibex short sleeve zip
http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/ProductDetail.php?GID=1085&VID=12931&Product=Peak-Sport-Zip

--------

OT, but I thought this was funny when Ibex released it a while back. I wonder who they could have stolen this style from :p

http://www.ibexwear.com/Photos/S09/7205_8990.jpg
http://www.ibexwear.com/Photos/S09/7205_8990_ALT_2.jpg

old fat man
05-22-2009, 01:36 PM
i bought a very lightweight, full zip jersey from backcountry.com in the winter when it was on close out. it is super thin and light for hot hot days.

adidas jersey (http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/ADD0031/Adidas-adiStar-Super-Lite-Cycling-Jersey-Mens.html)

at the time, i bought a white one for less than $30. you might still find them on ebay or other retailer sites.

davyt
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Rapha does. Kind of. Sometimes.

Clearance (http://www.rapha.cc/products/clearance)

pdmtong
05-22-2009, 04:18 PM
signature cycles https://shop.signaturecycles.com/display/4013/0/

and

competitive cyclist

both put some pieces on slight discount occassionaly during the year or season end. not much, but better than zero.

so now we've come to the final frontier. bling clothing and carbon wheels.

it's only money. if steve larsen can die young, it's possible for any of us. so, indulge your passions, but wisely.

Birddog
05-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Scirocco, do you have a review on those Ground Effect jerseys you mentioned? Anybody else?
Birddog

rnhood
05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I've got a few Ground Effect articles and, they are nice. I wouldn't call them great but, very nice. My favorite of these is the Baked Alaska - more of a cool weather jersey with a windproof front. Nice long zipper so, on the climbs its easy to ventilate. However, I do with the windproof front was a little broader. Its not very wide.

The hot weather GE jerseys are Ok, and made well, but nothing really stands out from a performance standpoint. My favorite hot weather jersey is the DeSoto jersey. I really like it when the temperatures climb above 80. From 60 to 80, about anything works - though I prefer wool since it agrees with me. So I usually reach for my Ibex. These operate over a wide temperature range. They breath well, yet they block wind well so I normally don't carry a vest up the mountain. The Ibex in particular is a very good wool jersey. Its the one I recommend when someone wants to try wool. There may be better, but its plenty good.

scirocco
05-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I agree with rnhood, the Baked Alaska is the nicest Ground Effect jersey, but more of a cooler (not cold) weather style.

The Median Strip short-sleeved merino is very nice - quite light, but mid-to-high 70 temps are about the limit IMHO. I have a couple of them. Ideal for those spring or autumn days when it's warm enough for short sleeves but synthetics are a little cool.

I found the GE sizing runs a little large - I usually fit somewhere between a S and an M in most clothing ranges, but the GE Small fits me perfectly - but then I prefer a snug fit.

Birddog
05-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the review fellas. In re-considering, the GE will not be for me, at least for summer. One of the design criteria I have is that there should be three pockets, mainly so I can carry a 3rd water bottle on those hot days. I have an Ibex Fausto (I think) and the pockets are too skinny. I can just barely cram a water bottle in there when I'm off the bike. Replacing one while riding wouldn't work. The Rapha center pocket is also slim, but it is a little more forgiving. I haven't actually tried it on the fly yet, but the hot days are approaching fast, so I will be soon. A two pocket design is out of the question for me. If I did stuff a 3rd bottle in the Ibex, it would sag terribly, it's bad enough with just some GUs and a Clif bar or two.

Birddog

slugbottle
05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Love my Ibex sleeveless jersey. But not sure they make it any more. Good for very hot days - just make sure to sunscreen up high on arm if you have a farmer's tan.

happycampyer
05-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Rapha does. Kind of. Sometimes.

Clearance (http://www.rapha.cc/products/clearance)Rapha has updated the lightweight jersey for this season with a full zipper, among other things. You might be able to find the '08 version on sale (CC has already sold out, but you could try River City or Signature). The lightweight jersey is noticeably lighter weight than Rapha's standard jerseys, and lighter than the other wool jerseys that I own (Woolistic, Ibex, etc.).

93legendti
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Rapha's jersey is not wool. Poly with a little wool
is a poly blend jersey.

waychel
05-25-2009, 02:35 PM
It's not a jersey, but I own two of these Outlier Empire merino wool t-shirts, and they are absolutely awesome for summer days. They're really light, comfortable, and they breathe.

http://outlier.cc/2009/03/empire_merino_tee.php

http://outlier.cc/OUTLIER-Empire-Tee-Flat.jpg

Just a simple black, well-cut t-shirt.

Oirad
05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I find that a very light merino T-shirt (Icebreaker, whatever brand suits you) underneath a cotton button shirt (preferably white) works very very well in hot weather. You can flip the collar up in hot weather to protect your neck too. OK, so you don't like you'll win the Giro and you may not be mister aerodynamic but it makes sense and you'll almost look debonair too.

-- Oirad

happycampyer
05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Rapha's jersey is not wool. Poly with a little wool
is a poly blend jersey.That's a good point. Most of their summer weight jerseys are blends (40% wool, 60% poly). The lightweight jersey has even less wool (25%). The only all-wool short sleeved jersey appears to be the Campionissimo. I would imagine that it is closer in weight to the classic jersey than to the lightweight jersey.

Even though the Rapha jerseys are blends, they do not have the feel of a typical poly jersey imo. Then again I don't have anything against all poly jerseys either.

Birddog
05-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Even though the Rapha jerseys are blends, they do not have the feel of a typical poly jersey imo.
The Raphas have a very nice hand. It is very different from plastic and also from 100% wool.

Birddog

93legendti
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
...Then again I don't have anything against all poly jerseys either.
Neither do I, as I have a more than a few I wear during the season.

Steevo
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I like the Ibex jersey up to around 80F. Warmer than 80, out comes the polyoder. I've been fortunate to grab several Ibex jerseys at polyoder prices during off season sales.