PDA

View Full Version : OT Next time your waiter or waitress suggests "tonight's special"

keno
05-22-2009, 05:16 AM
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/the-salmon-is-delicious-an-example-of-incentives-at-work/#more-11891

Ask for a share of the reward.

keno

William
05-22-2009, 05:26 AM
I always assumed that the "special" was what they were trying to use up before it went bad.

But what do I know, I'm a freak-O-nature. :)

William

ahumblecycler
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
The same goes for "today's side" and "today's soup". I helped to run a restaurant for 7 years, and this was the strategy. Our chef (yes he was a real chef who attended culinary school and received his certificates) did an amazing job with the food. None of the food had reached the expiration date, but we had the need to reduce/eliminate the inventory. Also, our specials were typically a buck or two less.

rwsaunders
05-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I was traveling with one of my co-workers a few years back and he inquired of the special. The waitress informed us that it was "well done prime rib". My co-worker then asked if last night's special was prime rib, and the waitress acknowledged that indeed it was.

We finished our drinks and left. :cool:

Kevan
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Sandy walked over to my table.

Be careful what you order.

Tom
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
How dare the servant wish for additional remuneration.

Kevan
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
not much unlike what I am today, there was a conversation held at the dinner table, touching on this subject, based on a letter Ann Landers had responded to in that day's newpaper. A woman had sent a letter to Ann stating that the restaurant where she worked had just increased its menu prices by 10% and why was it that the waiting staff couldn't do the same with tips. My father jumped on this as an excellent example on how percentages work and asked us, his kids, what we thought of the waitress' plight. It seems Ann nor her staff did their math because they responded to the letter with a very generous "Yes, waiting staff did deserve an increase from 15% to 20%."

So this new trend of offering 20% at the table, blame it on Ann Landers.

csm
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM
not much unlike what I am today, there was a conversation held at the dinner table, touching on this subject, based on a letter Ann Landers had responded to in that day's newpaper. A woman had sent a letter to Ann stating that the restaurant where she worked had just increased its menu prices by 10% and why was it that the waiting staff couldn't do the same with tips. My father jumped on this as an excellent example on how percentages work and asked us, his kids, what we thought of the waitress' plight. It seems Ann nor her staff did their math because they responded to the letter with a very generous "Yes, waiting staff did deserve an increase from 15% to 20%."

So this new trend of offering 20% at the table, blame it on Ann Landers.

if the resaurant raises their prices and you tip on the before tax cost.... the waitstaff would get an increase also... wouldn't it be close to the the % increased in pricing?

Ozz
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
if the resaurant raises their prices and you tip on the before tax cost.... the waitstaff would get an increase also... wouldn't it be close to the the % increased in pricing?
yes...as the restaurant raises prices, the staff gets bigger tips...not % wise, but $$ wise which is what counts.

How many folks here tip on pre tax versus after tax totals?

Just curious......

I'm a 15-20% pretax tipper....up to 25% if especially good, or the kids were especially annoying.

csm
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
pretax usually 15% rounded up. I have a compelling need to have the receipt equal a whole number....

Ozz
05-22-2009, 01:55 PM
pretax usually 15% rounded up. I have a compelling need to have the receipt equal a whole number....
:p ....me too!

gasman
05-22-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm a 15-20% pretax tipper....up to 25% if especially good, or the kids were especially annoying.

I always wondered why you gave such a generous tip before the Tour de Blast 'cuz it wasn't for the great food. You were embarassed by us, your friends.

rounder
05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I was watching an old Newhardt show the other night and Larry, Daryl and his other brother Daryl were offering "critter de jour" as the special in their restuarant.

Ozz
05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I always wondered why you gave such a generous tip before the Tour de Blast 'cuz it wasn't for the great food. You were embarassed by us, your friends.
No, no, no.....I was not embarrassed by you guys.......you were just misbehaving and not playing nicely with the crayons you were given. ;)

We're going to miss you this year.....a couple buddies Wil raced with in college are joining us this year.....they were supposed to come into town the prior week for Wil's 50th B-Day, but decided the ride sounded more fun. Wil has no idea what kind of shape they are in. :beer:

Dekonick
05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Most waiters and waitresses don't make a large annual salary - I tip 20% on the after tax bill - 25% if service is outstanding. 10% if they are horrible.

A lot of my friends were waiters/waitresses when I was in college. Trust me they aren't living large.

:)