PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Riding?

loewer
05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I'll be in Ithaca this Friday, Saturday and Sunday for my son's graduation from Cornell and wondered if anyone has some suggestions for riding in the area (away for the crazy parent traffic!)

Thanks

Jeff

mike p
05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
http://flcycling.org/

Go to fingerlakes cycling club, click on maps then on the little + beside maps. Many rides with directions will pop up. Wonderful rides all over once you get out of Ithaca. Brooktondale, greek peak areas are great. If you were going to be around tues you could join in our tues night race, there will surely be a tour "ride" on sat or sun or both. I haven't done those in years but there should be dates or contacts on the web site. Any questions pm me, congrats on your sons graduation. Cornell is a great school.

Mike

MattTuck
05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Well done.

Cornell 2002 here... another crap economic year to have graduated from college.

What school is he graduating from?

What types of rides are you looking for? I can suggest some short and steep ones.

Length preferred? Mountain/Road?

loewer
05-22-2009, 05:02 AM
He's graduating from A&S in Economics, and luckily has a job as an actuarial analyst in the Washington DC area.

Probably looking for one long, then a couple of shorter, steep is ok.

Jeff

MattTuck
05-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Well, the trip around Cayuga lake is definitely a LONG, but nice ride.

Other rides I might suggest are over to Taughannock Falls via 89, and then up some of the roads near the park. Some are steep and lead to very nice views.

Also, I'd look at an early morning ride (to avoid traffic) that looks at Robert Treman state park (ride up rt 396) and also look at Buttermilk State park, both are near Ithaca and can offer some nice views. Both will offer steep pitches.... but then again, so will any rides around Ithaca.

I sat down to plan some actual routes, and I have to admit, my memory of the specific roads seems to have faded. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Congrats to your son. Go big red!

PS. Another ride that is nice, if you don't mind doing loops is the Arboretum loop. I think it is about 1.5 miles. search for "plantation road"

Also, there is a nice ride out to Groton, NY from around the plantations, relatively flat.

Should be beautiful this time of year, especially if you hit it early AM before the other parents get there. You could do some quick laps to begin/end your ride to add additional mileage... or just ride there for ~20 miles, you'll see something new everytime you do the loop.

If you want more detail, let me know, I'll see if I can't REALLY remember.