PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Reflex rim cracking

stackie
05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I've had two Reflex rims get spider web cracks around the nipples. I've only gotten about 2500-3000 miles on each of them. It's been the rear both times. The first build was with 32 db spokes, the second with 32 straight gauge spokes. Both were built by hand, not by me, but by shop wheelbuilders. I usually weigh on the far side of 190lbs and ride Veloflex criterium sewups at about 95 psi on them. I've never had wheel problems before, having used Campy rims, Mavic Open Pro, Mavic Cosmos, etc.

Are the wheels being overtensioned, or am I overfat for this rim? Should I have it rebuilt by someone with a phenom reputation like Ergott, Mike Garcia, etc? Or, should I try a different rim?

Thanks,

Jon

bfd
05-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Could be one or the other or a combo of both. Is the rim "anodized?" If so, some, like Jobst Brandt, will argue that the hard anodizing causes cracking and you should get another rim:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/anodized-rims.html

Pete Serotta
05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I weigh a little more than that and have not had a problem with cracking (they were 32 and built by our own SPOKES> :)

I do not know type spokes ,,sorry

Peter P.
05-21-2009, 06:33 PM
The cracks are irrelevant unless the rim looks like it's forming a little volcano-shaped peak around the eyelet. Then it's obvious the rim is deforming. You could try reducing the tension on the wheel that replaces this one, but you'll have to measure the bad wheel NOW for a reference. Some wheelbuilders think more tension is always better, and that's not true.

mike p
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Older mavic reflex rims were notorious for spokes pulling through. If your a big sprinter type guy look for another wheel. I think I went through about 3 reflex rear wheels. Spokes eventually pull completely through and you can't true the wheel. I use open pros without a problem.

Mike

learlove
05-21-2009, 07:18 PM
along the same lines of box section tubular rims: does anyone have info on ambrosio tubular rims. the montreal or nemesis. I'd like to build a pair of box section tubulars (36hole) and have been considering the mavic reflex but hear the same problems this poster is relating. Thinking maybe the ambrosio are stronger?? personally I'm looking for reliability and strength in a box section tubular over a few grams.

http://www.ital-tecno.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=34

again not to bump in on this guys thread but I didn't think a new thread should be on order for the similar topic and maybe the ambrosio rim could be is answer.

stackie
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM
No problem on thread hijack concerns. There have been some threads recently on best tubular and it seems like most of the experts have tapped the Reflex rim and the Ambrosio Nemesis as the best tubular rims available currently.

I'm just wondering if I should spend anymore money on Mavic product and replace the rear again, or if I should just go ahead and get both rebuilt onto the Nemesis rim.

Jon

Louis
05-21-2009, 10:34 PM
does anyone have info on ambrosio tubular rims. the montreal or nemesis.

I have one of each. The Nemesis seems (to my non-expert eye) to be of significantly better build quality and design than the Montreal. I asked Tom Kellogg his opinion of the Montreal and this is what he wrote:

"The Montreal is fine for the front. In the long run, I'd expect the right side ferules to crack the rim if you were to use it in the rear."

Based on that I would suggest you stick with the Nemesis. (I have not yet ridden them because the Nemesis (rear) has not yet been built.)

Louis