PDA

View Full Version : eBay Outing: Rene Herse

dbrk
12-31-2004, 01:32 PM
For those of you who have not seen many Rene Herse bikes, there is a good example on eBay. This one is rather ordinary by Herse standards, without the Herse modified cranks or original stem or many of the other amazing details but still one in good condition. This one being a 55cm will draw Japanese bidders so we might expect it to fetch many, many yen. (Ones that i like are too tall for the Japanese except as collectors and hence do not usually come in at the big prices.)
Frankly, my own examples are more detailed than this one but a Herse is a Herse: they are like real estate, the good Lord ain't makin' any more...

Look here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7124480230&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

dbrk

Matt Barkley
12-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Cool thanks for the post / ebay link. So what size(s) do you end up riding 59ish? What size(s) would I ride: 86cm inseam 75.5 saddle height on a race bike? Thanks - :beer: - Matt

dbrk
12-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Matt,
I have a shorter PBH (85ish) but a taller saddle height (76.3cm), this differs by the pedals I use (mostly Campagnolo SL or TA with clipsn'straps or SPD-L, the latter being a bit taller).

I ride a 60 in a Herse and suspect that you would too. Think saddle height minus 15cm as the rule of thumb: this being a bike you can easily stand over when the bb is 8cm, the tires less than 28c, and in shoes. This is sizing to the tallest frame, which would be the French way following what I call "Rebour's Rule" from his sizing guidelines in Le Petit Livre. Guidelines, of course, not dogmas. This Herse is waaaaay too small for you or me.

dbrk

Matt Barkley
12-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks! So I should be on the look-out as it were for a 60cm.!
Cool! :beer: - Matt