PDA

View Full Version : Legend CX as second bike?

Nathanrtaylor
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Even though I said my Coeur D'Acier would be my last bike for a long while, it doesn't stop me from looking.

Does anyone know what, if anything, the Legend CX gives up to the Legend in terms of pure road performance? (other than an additional 250 grams in the frame). Cyclocross seems like it would be a blast, but I also want the bike I choose for that to be easily set up as a bad weather, bad conditions bike for road riding.

Cleaning the white paint on the CDA after a long rain ride is a bit of a pain :)

rwsaunders
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I had a Concours for a while set up with canti brakes for all-purpose use, as I don't ride cross. I loved the bike but the cantis were a bit slow to stop on some of the hills around here, and there were too many bikes in the stable at the time. Cleaning the tubes with Pledge wipes was a gas.

Go for it.

dogdriver
05-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Great combo-- you nailed the reasons.

Do it... do it....

djg
05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
That could be a great second bike. This would not be my first choice for racing crits, but, really, slap some road wheels (road tires, really) on it and you'd have a fine bike, suitable for commuting, club rides, etc. Switch back to cross tires and you can race cross or ride off-road. I have a GP Suisse Ti cross bike and I've ridden in it just such ways, even though I bought it for cross. My brother is now using my old steel Serotta cross bike for road riding, commuting, etc. -- he doesn't race cross at all.

There are lots of converations about "all-rounders," and I don't really think there's any one bike to meet everybody's ideas of all around. For people who want racks, attachments for full mudguards, etc., this might not be the thing at all. But if it fits, it can be pretty darn versatile and a lot of fun.

Nathanrtaylor
05-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I'd be going with a heck of a lot cheaper bike if I wanted to race crits. All I hear are horror stories.

Racing sounds fun but expensive.

I do get what you are saying about an all-rounder, djg.