PDA

View Full Version : anyone going on the Serotta owner's club Alps trip?

jabbahop
05-19-2009, 07:08 AM
A friend and I just signed up for the Serotta trip with GPM10 @ the end of August. I've never biked in Europe before but it sounds fantastic but very hard.

Here is the description

Chamonix to Champex Lac 56km
After breakfast, we assemble and check the bikes before setting off up the Chamonix Valley, climbing Col des Montets (1,461m) and descending into Switzerland. The next climb brings us to Col des Forclaz (1,527m) for a fast descent into the Rhône Valley. The third climb of the day starts on the valley floor, in the outskirts of Martigny, and ends in beautiful lakeside village of Champex, high in the Swiss Alps.

Saturday - Champex to Pré-Saint-Didier 110km
The day begins with a swift descent through picturesque villages to Orsières on the floor of the historic Val d’Entremont. There is a long and gentle ascent up the main valley road before forking off to climb the Col du Grand St Bernard (2,473m). Once over the border into Italy, there is a long, fast downhill to Aosta, followed by a steady climb up to our base for the night in the old spa town of Pré-Saint-Didier.

Sunday - Pré-Saint-Didier to Hautluce 105km
The day begins with a steady 23.5km climb to Col de Petit St Bernard (2,188m). We cross back into France for the descent to Bourg St Maurice. This is the southern end of the Mont Blanc massif and there are superb views of the high mountains ascending Cormet de Roseland (1,968m) – a tough climb where Miguel Indurain ‘bonked’ during the 1996 Tour De France, ending his chance of a record sixth consecutive victory. A long, fast descent past the turquoise Lac de Roseland and through pine forests ends in Beaufort. The final climb brings us to village of Hautluce.

Monday - Hautluce to Chamonix 149km
The final day is tough. It starts with a short warm up spin on a flat section, before climbing Col des Saisies (1,633m) – another hard climb that features in the Tour de France: Floyd Landis famously launched his ‘miracle charge’ in 2006 on this mountain, later testing positive for testosterone! We then race down to the small town of Flumet before launching into Col des Aravis (1,498m). After a short descent through La Grand Bornand we climb the Col de la Colombière (1,618m), a leg-breaking pass with an arduous final stretch, connecting the Arve and Borne valleys. There is a thrilling, technical descent to Cluses and a flat section before the final, gentler climb on back roads, to reach Chamonix.

Anyone done these climbs before? Any advice on getting ready for the trip?

Gothard
05-19-2009, 07:16 AM
I actually live in that valley (Martigny area).
Prepare for great scenery, a few hard climbs. The last 6K of Grd St Bernard are "Hors Categorie". Forclaz is not too shabby either.
You will be with Ben? I MUST come and see you guys.

jlwdm
05-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I was going to sign up but the registration link said "page not found." I emailed Serotta and GPM10 this weekend and have not heard back from either.

Lack of response and failure of link made me guess it was sold out. So moved on to other options.

Jeff

jlwdm
05-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Hmm, I see if you go to the link and the "page not found" and go to booking the trip is in a pull down list. So I guess you can sign up - just a poor web setup to get to the booking.

Jeff

Serotta_Mike
05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Sorry for the confusion on the malfunctioning link. The link to the booking page is:

http://www.gpm10.com/booking/

Please select "Serotta High Summits Camp with Ben Serotta" in the drop down menu under "Booking Form"

jabbahop
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
used the booking pull down as Mike indicates. I got a quick email reply from GPM10 and said they are on another trip this week but will be email joining instructions when he returns.