PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pro 3 Issue?

Chief
05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I have been using Pro 3 tires since shortly after they came out. The center tread, which typically is colored, is about 15 mm wide. I have noticed that checking/cracking has occurred in either region between the edge of this tread and the sidewall on both the front and rear tires. The front tire has perhaps twice the miles on it than the rear tire. On the front tire I noticed that cracking at one edge of the center tread has extended to where you can see the casing of the tire. It appears that the center treads on both tires may be a couple of millimeters off center in places and that the checking/cracking occurs in this wider exposed region; i.e., it appears that more than the center tread may be meeting the road and is causing the damage. Has anyone else had issues with the Pro 3's? I typically run the front tire at 105 psi and rear tire at 110 psi. I weigh about 165 lbs.

Pete Serotta
05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I have also noticed cracking...still able to ride and it looks ok BUT not something I will buy again

Ti-Boy
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Same here with the cracking. I stocked up and have 6 more in my closet. Now I wish I hadn't.

jimp1234
05-18-2009, 07:36 PM
......sigh..... just bought 4 from PBK.... :crap:

Bruce K
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I'll have to go look at mine and see.

I haven't noticed any cracking and have worn out about 3 rears and 2 fronts (squared off the centers) between last season and the start of this one.

I like them and I'll keep using them until I see something bogus on mine.

BK

toaster
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Pro 2's were the best. The new Pro 3's are junk. My first rear tire had a tiny cut that expanded and tore the casing enough for the tube to slightly poke out.

Never seen such a silly failure in a Michelin tire before. I won't buy them again.

mgm777
05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I've worn out two sets of PR3s and have not experienced any of the cracking that others have mentioned. I have been averaging about 1500 to 2000 miles per set. I do not rotate tires. As was discussed across the hall, I wonder if the folks who are experiencing the cracking phenomenon live near the coast. Here in CO, we don't have the humidity that the coasts have and wonder if that may be a factor. On my most recent tire change, I opted to replace the PR3s with a pair of Conti GP4000S. My initial impression of the Contis is that they're rock hard compared to the PR3s at the same pressure, 100/95. I suspect the Contis will last longer, but at the expense of ride quality IMHO. I am going to ride a couple of long events this summer and plan to use a new pair of Vittoria EVO CXs that are waiting on the shelf. If I had to choose now, I prefer the ride of the PR3s over the Contis, even taking into consideration the decreased durability. I've heard great things about the EVO CXs, so I am axious to see if the hype is reality.

nm87710
05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I've worn out ~12 PR3s and never experienced the OP issue. IMO Pr3s are great performance tires - stick in corners, low Crr, light weight, comfortable and reasonably cut resistent. No tire does everything well but these come pretty close as long as you only need a tire to last ~2K miles.

Fivethumbs
05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I weigh almost 190lbs and I run 90-95 in the front and 95-100 in the rear. I have had no problems.

JBone
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Just had a flat on the rear tire yesterday, tiny piece of glass. Seemed like the tread was soft compared to the Conti 4000s, which I've never gotten a flat yet (knock on wood) with 3k on them.