PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Glove Advice

tmanley
05-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Today was one of the most brutal RR's I've done. The Panoche RR was run in 100*+ weather and it just kicked everybody in the rear end very hard. One of the problems I experienced on the route (67 miles, ~3800 feet climbing) was due to the bumpy roads.

My gloves are an old set of Giordana's with a very minimal amount of padding. It's been almost eight hours since I finished the race and my left hand is still feeling the odd; the nerves in my pinky and ring finger aren't yet back to normal.

I'm in need of some recommendations for a set of gloves that will help rid me of this problem...thanks!

-Todd

Lionel
05-17-2009, 10:20 PM
double tape or gel tape (Fizik) can help as well. Regarding gloves I like Assos.

tmanley
05-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I already have the fizik gel running under my tape. That helped, but not 100%.

regularguy412
05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I happen to like Specialized Pro gloves. They have a specific pad for the nerve running next to your pinky side of your hand. I usually get gloves one size larger than I really need. I hate to have my hand swell in the heat and cut off circulation.

Mike in AR:beer:

goonster
05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't race, and this is only coming from my modest experience as a randonneur, but:

"Hand problems are not caused by gloves."

Move your hands around, place them a bit differently, relax on the deathgrip, try different bars, etc. If you have problems in an event less than 100 miles, I can't believe it's the gloves. Personally, I actually prefer gloves with minimal padding on long rides.

erector
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
I have the specialized Pro's for 35$, and they're life savers. Good padding throughout much of the palm, and they have body geometry to focus on the nerve that runs through the hand to the pinky finger. Knock on wood, I haven't had any hand issues. I've got a pair of the Rapha, and they're nice, but you can get 4 specialized gloves for the same price. I use the specialized a lot more.

alancw3
05-18-2009, 06:16 AM
I don't race, and this is only coming from my modest experience as a randonneur, but:

Move your hands around, place them a bit differently, relax on the deathgrip, try different bars, etc. If you have problems in an event less than 100 miles, I can't believe it's the gloves. Personally, I actually prefer gloves with minimal padding on long rides.

+1. i have found that the width of the handlebar has an effect on numbness in the hands. by and large i think many people use too narrow of a bar. the pros seem to use wider bars. i use to get numbness in my hands after about 35 miles or so, went to wider bars and numbness gone.

nahtnoj
05-18-2009, 08:33 AM
My current favorite pair of summer gloves is a $20 pair of Fox full-finger MTB gloves with zero padding. I find all the padding does is give me hot spots on long rides.

I look at gloves as crash protection and don't rely on them for cushioning.

saab2000
05-18-2009, 08:36 AM
I love Specialized gloves. Can't imagine riding without them. I can probably count the number of gloveless rides in the past 20 years on one hand. I NEVER ride without them and Specialized are the best for my hands.

paczki
05-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Specialized are great. You may need to add a spacer and raise your handlebars a bit this early in the season. You might just be putting too much weight on your hands because you haven't yet gotten in form.

This is a New England answer though -- you're probably always in form in California!

tmanley
05-18-2009, 08:53 AM
This is a New England answer though -- you're probably always in form in California!

Funny you should say this. In yesterday's race after getting popped off the back with 30+ miles to go after the field was shredded on a climb, I teamed up with a guy to ride back with into the wind. We started to talk and come to find out he's from upstate NY and heading back there next week. He had been out here in CA for the past year. He did mention how he was hoping his form from all the riding out here would translate into some success back east.

MIN
05-18-2009, 09:27 AM
+1. i have found that the width of the handlebar has an effect on numbness in the hands. by and large i think many people use too narrow of a bar. the pros seem to use wider bars. i use to get numbness in my hands after about 35 miles or so, went to wider bars and numbness gone.

that's an interesting point on bar width. how do you think that bar width contributes to this problem? i can't quite follow the logic.

alancw3
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
that's an interesting point on bar width. how do you think that bar width contributes to this problem? i can't quite follow the logic.

i once read an article about how when your arms were pointed inward that it contributed to hand numbness. don't really know the logic but it seems to work for me. again, the numbness was only really a problem after about 40 miles of riding. this article suggested a bar width equal to your shoulder width. i am 6'4" with a big bone structure. i had always ridden bikes with a 42cm width bar. went to a 46cm bar. perhaps it could also have to do with the angle of the hands.

slugbottle
05-18-2009, 11:33 AM
On long rides like 1200k I usually get some tingling for a while and live with it but don't like it.

But I've also found that how I grip the bar can make a huge difference. And I would agree that the width of the bar could impact that as well. I run gel padding underneath my gel bar tape and it helps. I change hand positions frequently and it helps. Frankly, downtube or bar end shifters will help, but for racers that probably isn't a discussion point. I pretty much exercise my neck, shoulders and arms while riding and that helps too I think. Gotta learn to relax the grip in most positions. Gloves can probably help, but I think there may be equal wisdom in looking at these other factors. That said . . .

I've tried a lot of gloves but keep coming back to Spenco Ironman on the very long rides. They're heavier than most, they're hotter on hot days than most, and when wet they'll leave your hands stained black until they've been washed maybe a dozen times (yeah the stain washes off your hands).

But they're well built and pretty durable and the rubber padding doesn't compress over time, although after a few years the padding holder material on the inside of the glove will wear away and then the padding will slip around a bit and finally fall out (the inside of the glove will wear out faster than the outside). But by then most other gloves would be just a memory.

They have several models - I think I get the "Elite" but it's been about 3-4 years since I bought last:

http://www.spencocycling.com/

93legendti
05-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I love Specialized gloves. Can't imagine riding without them. I can probably count the number of gloveless rides in the past 20 years on one hand. I NEVER ride without them and Specialized are the best for my hands.
Me too. I bought a bunch lof the Spec. gloves last year because glove cos. seem to always discontinue the gloves I like.

The Trek Club Gel is also nice.

Ozz
05-18-2009, 12:12 PM
I like gloves without the velcro closure on the back (ExteOndo, Asso, CapoForma,etc)....seems the scratchy part always gets me when I wipe my brow....

That said, I agree that hand numbness is not glove related....and is more about how much weight you keep on your hands while riding, and position on the bars...in essence...more about fit that equipment.

Gloves are for wiping sweat and snot from your face; wiping road debris from your tires, helping with grip when hands are sweaty, and (god-forbid) protecting your hands in a crash.

:beer:

Gseiler
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
My current favorite pair of summer gloves is a $20 pair of Fox full-finger MTB gloves with zero padding. I find all the padding does is give me hot spots on long rides.

I look at gloves as crash protection and don't rely on them for cushioning.

+1 on the no padding . . . Pearl Izumi makes a "Pittard" with zero padding. It may seem counter intuitive, but the more padding (bulk) on the palm of the hand, the more pressure points develop. Padding simply adds to the problem by making pressure points. DeMarchi used to make a leather palm with crochet back and no padding. These are what I use to keep my hands comfy, especially in the heat.

Less padding, move your hands.

palincss
05-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Maybe some of it's the tires (and tire pressure). The OP did mention rough roads.

One of my rides has a 7 mile stretch of very coarse chipseal with a rest stop at a store at the end of it. When we get to the rest stop, people on 700x23s always complain of their hands tingling. People on 25mm tires feel the coarseness but their hands don't tingle, and riders on wide 650Bs think it's a nice smooth road and wonder what everyone's complaining about.

JeffS
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Specialized BG Pro, though they changed them again. I don't like the current ones as much as mine.

tmanley
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I ended up getting a pair of the Specialized BG Gel gloves. I did try the Pro model out, but the extra padding of the Gel's won. Tonight's Tuesday night crit ride/race will be the first time out with them, however, the roads are silky smooth and don't stress my hands much at all. Tomorrow's coast ride will provide me with a better indication of their capabilities.

Thanks to everybody for their recommendations.

-Todd

Climb01742
05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
On long rides like 1200k I usually...

you call_that_long? :p

paczki
05-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe some of it's the tires (and tire pressure). The OP did mention rough roads.

One of my rides has a 7 mile stretch of very coarse chipseal with a rest stop at a store at the end of it. When we get to the rest stop, people on 700x23s always complain of their hands tingling. People on 25mm tires feel the coarseness but their hands don't tingle, and riders on wide 650Bs think it's a nice smooth road and wonder what everyone's complaining about.

I just got back from the "John Allis Loop", a famous local ride on notoriously bad roads. Rode 23s. Threw my back out on some potholes, and felt like puking. I need to get some bigger tires!

Climb01742
05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I just got back from the "John Allis Loop", a famous local ride on notoriously bad roads. Rode 23s. Threw my back out on some potholes, and felt like puking. I need to get some bigger tires!

dude, nothing but nothing will help the roads in lincoln. that said, i'm jealous. today's weather rocks. hoping to get out @ about 5 today.

torquer
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
+1 on the no padding . . . Pearl Izumi makes a "Pittard" with zero padding.
Less padding, move your hands.
+1
Giro has a line of unpadded, Pittard-leather gloves too, as well as a minimally-padded line for those who can't go cold turkey. Saw them on Competetive Cyclist's website.

Spud
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Pearl Pro. got rid of my numb pinky and for a coworker as well.

palincss
05-20-2009, 06:55 AM
dude, nothing but nothing will help the roads in lincoln. that said, i'm jealous. today's weather rocks. hoping to get out @ about 5 today.

Betcha these will...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/3532811341_b3decbbb16.jpg?v=0

Ti Designs
05-20-2009, 07:49 AM

Those roads in Lincoln don't need any help, they're just fine. Years ago we were doing the loop with John Allis, back when Gleezen Lane was unpaved. A few of the riders started to complain about the road surface, or lack of one. John didn't even seem to notice (nor did he shift), and while others were bouncing around like they were sitting on a jackhammer, John was as smooth as ever, still talking to the person next to him.

As for being jealous about riding weather, I got almost 3 miles into the ride yesterday morning (when it was 40 degrees) and decided it's time to get off the bike for a while. Now it gets sunny and warm...

Blue Jays
05-20-2009, 08:12 AM
My preference is for very thinly-padded gloves that do NOT have velcro closures.
The rough side of the fastener will invariably scratch your face or leg.
BTW, what kind of fender is in the picture just above, very cool!

nahtnoj
05-20-2009, 08:34 AM
My preference is for very thinly-padded gloves that do NOT have velcro closures.
The rough side of the fastener will invariably scratch your face or leg.
BTW, what kind of fender is in the picture just above, very cool!

All my velcro gloves get "modified" with a seam ripper...