PDA

View Full Version : Road Biking Magazine

ckamp
05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm looking to put in a subscription, any recommendations?
Thanks!

1centaur
05-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Tell us what interests you most and we can help more.

Bicycling is the standard "first" magazine for road cyclists, and though much maligned by very experienced cyclists for being shallow I still get it and enjoy it each month.

CyclingPlus from the UK is the other general purpose cycling magazine for people who are not focused on racing. Lots of equipment reviews, nutrition and training stuff, but the UK focus and ads can limit its appreciation here.

Then one moves on to the racing magazines: VeloNews, Procycling, CycleSport, all have reviews and other interesting articles as well as focus on pro racing. VeloNews is a bit more focused on the US scene and the other two more focused on the Euro scene.

I subscribe to all of the above.

There are also a few others people might chime in about - an English one, an Aussie one and a newish American one (Road Bike Action?) that I don't know.

ckamp
05-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the overview, that helped quite a bit. Looks like I will be choosing more than one! The racing ones appeal to me as well as the Bicycling one. Thanks for helping me spend more money :)

fourflys
05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I like Road Bike Action, it's pretty good... however, I also get Bicycling and VeloNews as well

BumbleBeeDave
05-17-2009, 05:09 PM
. . . to be very good for product reviews, though it usually turns out that at least half the items in any story are things you can't get this side of the big pond. They also have some very good ride articles, but again they don't mean a whole lot to me since I don't live in England.

Cycle Sport seems to have the best stories I've seen as far as in-depth pieces on individuals in professional racing. Their product reviews are pretty useless, though.

Road Bike Action is from the same folks who do Mountain Bike Action, which has always had my respect for objective product reviews--if it sucks, they will generally say so.

BICYCLING is the largest cycle magazine in the country and, while many make merciless fun of them, I've found the quality and content has much improved in the past two years.

RIDE magazine out of Australia is beautiful, but it's like $15 a copy down at Borders. So my viewing has been limited to "renting" a copy through buying a coffee and danish and sitting in the store for a while.

ROAD out of California is large format, beautiful repro on heavy grade paper, but apparently small circulation and centered on the US domestic racing scene with an emphasis on western US events. But I'd still recommend seeking it out and buying at lteast a dozen copies this next month when it looks like I'm going to have a pretty good sized story in there with my pics from Battenkill . . . :D :banana:

BBD

CNY rider
05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I really enjoy Bicycle Quarterly (formerly VBQ).
A nice mix of classic cycling history, mixed with in depth reviews of current topics and products.
They do very in-depth reviews of bicycles from custom builders if that's an area of cycling you are interested in.

dnades
05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I did Road for awhile. Some outstanding pics and well written articles. Worth it for a year or so. Good interviews on some of the racers. They did a couple of issues on cross racing in the US during their yearly subscription. Bicycling Magazine on the other hand is a lot more commercial. Two very different magazines that will give you the full spectrum of the biking scene in the US.

caleb
05-18-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm tempted by Rouleur (http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=94).

The guys at Rapha might be poseurs (aren't we all, in some sense or another?), but at least they can write.

dsimon
05-18-2009, 01:12 AM
I too Like Road Bike action

bigmonter
05-18-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm looking to put in a subscription, any recommendations?
Thanks!

A bit better than Bicycling as it has a bit more depth when it comes to race interviews. Covers a bit more products from Europe.

I got it for a year but have no great desire to reup as I am lookign for more depth.

Blue Jays
05-19-2009, 11:59 PM
My current two favorites are Road Bike Action and VeloNews.

Walter
05-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Road Bike Action and Road are my choices....and the internet for racing news in a timely fashion.

fixednwinter
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm tempted by Rouleur (http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=94).

The guys at Rapha might be poseurs (aren't we all, in some sense or another?), but at least they can write.

And great photography too. In addition to current photos which are usually high quality, Rouleur will also use historical photography from the last few decades from good photographers, often from Magnum Photos, the great photojournalist agency.