PDA

View Full Version : Eco-friendly water bottles

rwsaunders
05-17-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/elite-unveil-eco-friendly-water-bottle-21517

false_Aest
05-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Word on the street is that Serotta plans to make their next gen of Meivicis out of biodegradeable plastic too. Price increase is said to be a scant 3%. Serotta hopes to boost end-of-the-season-sales with a promised boost in end-of-the-season-frame-failure.

And, I hear that Calfee has stepped up their development of Bamboo water bottles. The tentative tagline is "Water, the way pandas enjoy it."
----
:beer:

I think it's rad to see companies adopting corn-based bio plastic. I will no longer think twice about the environmental impact of chucking a h20 bottle at a stupid driver.
:beer:

Karin Kirk
05-17-2009, 11:05 PM
There isn't really any such thing as biodegradable plastic. So-called biodegradable plastic items actually just break down into smaller pieces of plastic, which isn't biodegradation, it just kinda makes a bigger mess.

IMO, you're better off with a regular bottle and making sure you recycle it. While you're at it, make sure to buy plastics with recycled content too.

false_Aest
05-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Hrm,

If bio-plastic just breaks down into smaller bio-plastic I wonder what happens when Too Tall buys one of the new bio-Serottas. At the end of the season do two lucky people get a 54cm frame? I call dibs!!!!

In seriousness, I thought that corn-based bio-plastic was actually biodegradable but the concerns were about the methane and CO2 that would be released. Am I misinformed?

T