PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bros. Question

PCR
05-17-2009, 12:17 AM
I bought a pair of Eggbeater MXR pedals with plain steel springs a few weeks ago, I like them. Today I received a pair of Candy C pedals from another forumite (thanks Jack) with 300 series stainless steel springs. I find they feel different, as in the Candy pedals have a far more positive feel to them; a tighter feel, this is really good. Is this due to different steel types or pedal types? Anyone experience something like this?

Later... :rolleyes:
Turns out my Eggs were "C" not MXR, returned them anyway (REI) and got another set of Candy C's. joelh & whitecda, thanks for the insight.

joelh
05-17-2009, 06:52 AM
I think they will loosen up as you use them a bit. I started with candy's on one bike and then added quattros on another. The quattros felt the same way for the first few hundred miles, but now the clip in and out with ease.

whitecda
05-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Slight drift here: I'm not even sure why CB makes MXR's? In less than 20 rides and the bearings started to seize (I got 3 pair on sale, same story). Called CB and they are not serviceable in any way. Have upgraded all bikes to better models of eggs and like them a lot (overall I am a big Crank Bros fan!), but MXR's were a waste. They are cheap, but no value/$ since they don't last, imho. Seems like I did some googling at the time this was going on, and others were offering the same opinion, so I don't think it was just me or a bad batch.

Enjoy the Candies and be ready to toss the MXR's.

monkeywobble
05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I've got a pair of Candy C's, a pair of SL's, a few set of plain old C's and recently a set of Quattro's (thnx bonktown!). The Quattros feel a little firmer but I chalked it up to platform more than anything else. The Quattros only have about a hundred or so but the rest should be at a thousand or better miles. Oh, these are all road miles.