PDA

View Full Version : High speed descending

toaster
05-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Not like this though!

This can't be faster than a normal aero tuck.

Steve in SLO
05-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Off the saddle for less frontal area/lower CG, clamping the forks with your knees to prevent high speed wobbles, junk on the top tube on bumpy Euro roads...what's not to like?
I am sure he's plenty fast in that position. For most of us mere mortals, it'd most likely be a short ride followed by a trip to the ER.

cadence90
05-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Bertolini's descent of the Maloja today in the rain was amazing: super skilled; perfect lines; incredible handling.
Apparently he got up to 65+ km/hr.
Too bad he didn't get the stage win.

fogrider
05-16-2009, 01:34 AM
65 mph is only about 40 mph...yes it was wet, and it was fast, but really not that fast. every now and then I see a rider take that position but it has always been by himself. I just don't think its that stable and it makes it hard to make adjustments.

Blue Jays
05-16-2009, 02:42 AM
I've witnessed many excellent descenders and none favored that technique.

Ray
05-16-2009, 06:20 AM
I've witnessed many excellent descenders and none favored that technique.
Never saw Paolo use it and NOBODY descended like that guy.

-Ray

myette10
05-16-2009, 06:58 AM
the risk isn't worth any return.

Michael Maddox
05-16-2009, 11:51 AM
This has to be a joke. Is there a caption to go with the photo? Other than our own wisecracks, of course.

He looks like he just fell out of the sky ONTO the bike.

ahumblecycler
05-16-2009, 12:13 PM
65 mph is only about 40 mph...yes it was wet, and it was fast, but really not that fast. every now and then I see a rider take that position but it has always been by himself. I just don't think its that stable and it makes it hard to make adjustments.

I assume you mean 65 km :)

IMHO, 65 km in the rain is super fast.

BumbleBeeDave
05-16-2009, 12:30 PM
. . . and it was not a fun experience. :eek: :eek: :eek: Handling was VERY sketchy, so I haven't used it since.

But my main problem was indeed front wheel wobble. It really unnerved me because I know that sort of thing can get out of control so quickly you can't do anything about it before you go down. While on the saddle I can clamp the top tube with my knees and still do that after using it for almost 18 years on my old Vitus, which was very prone to shimmy on a downhill. Clamp the top tube between your legs and it was rock stable.

When I tried this but not as far forward as this guy I couldn't really clamp the bike anywhere between my legs, either the top tube or the fork. As far forward as this guy is--where he CAN clamp the fork to prevent shimmy--it very well might work OK. But I'd want to try it on a very slight downhill first and practice a lot. This guy may not be comfortable with it either, but he wanted to win so bad he was willing to risk it.

BBD

Nathanrtaylor
05-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I descended from Clingman's Dome yesterday in the rain.

Not quite at 65 kph in the wettest sections though. More like 55.

Scary. Didn't try this technique though.

Any more rain soaked mountain descents and I'll need new brake pads. The rest of this set is all over my fork.

RPS
05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
When I tried this but not as far forward as this guy I couldn't really clamp the bike anywhere between my legs, either the top tube or the fork.Use your imagination to see what he’s using to clamp the top tube. Should work just as good as knees.

Seriously, his center of gravity is so close to being over the front axle that there is no way he could apply braking at all without first moving back a bunch. Not something I’d try – plus it doesn’t “look” faster anyway.

cadence90
05-16-2009, 05:56 PM
It seems that a bit of a misconception is being inferred here.

If one watches Bertolini's entire solo descent, he was in that position for a very short time, on a safer section.
Lots of riders adopt the "funny positions" for some seconds, when they can get away with it, perhaps more for show than anything else.

People here putting up their "numbers" against ProTour riders...hmmm.
I think 65 km/hr average on that tract, in that rain, is damned fast.
Bertolini may not be Il Falco, but he rode very, very well. None other than Paolo Bettini called his ride superb.

He rode most of the descent in "standard descending" position, was very smooth, and finished safely.

Let us hope that Horrillo, on the other hand, comes out of his fall today well, and with no permanent damage.

Nathanrtaylor
05-16-2009, 08:33 PM
People here putting up their "numbers" against ProTour riders...hmmm.
I think 65 km/hr average on that tract, in that rain, is damned fast.

The road I was on was nowhere near as technical as that tract, either. :)

rwsaunders
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
There is some footage of him descending somewhere in this video feed.

http://www.universalsports.com/mediaPlayer/media.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&id=408563

soulspinner
05-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Never saw Paolo use it and NOBODY descended like that guy.

-Ray

+1; Watching him all I could think was, perfect....he took risks and slayed many heavier men downhill.

toaster
05-16-2009, 10:57 PM
It seems if things start to go bad it would be like being on a unicycle at 50 mph with a bad speed wobble.

Having your CG between the wheels is a huge part of handling, it would seem.