PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

vaxn8r
12-29-2004, 09:47 PM
OK, after 20+ years of cycling I find myself wondering why cyclists shave? I used to back in the 80's, legs only, to both be cool as everybody did it, or seemed to, and that many attested to less chance of severe abrasions and ease of cleaning and caring for abrasions on shaved skin. Maybe a few espoused that by shaving you could subtract a full second or two from a 25k TT.

If any of these reasons are valid, then why is picture after picture of pro cyclist shown with beautifully shaven legs matched with gorilla hairy arms? What gives?

I'm inclined to believe, after all is said and done, it's all about fashion and nothing else.

Thoughts?

EdK
12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Vax

If you have ever crashed and gotten road rash on your legs or had a massage you have the answer. Many think it looks cool (me included) but it has it's own utility as well. Back in the day it also seemed to signifiy a certain level of commitment. Certainly looks better when not wearing leg warmers IMHO. Don't ever shave on race on race day though bad juju.

vaxn8r
12-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Yes, I know and have experienced the road rash.

But why is shaving restricted to lower extremities. What? No one has ever abraded their arms?

Massage....yes, that could be one other reason....

12-29-2004, 10:34 PM
It must be rainy and right after Christmas. I'm suddenly posting idiot stuff on this forum.

Shaving ...

Here are some of the reasons for it, in no particular order:

1. In a fall, you pull a lot of hair out, which is much more painful than just losing skin.
2. In a fall, you don't pull out all the hair, and the rest really mucks up the road rash.
3. Debriding road rash without hair is much easier than debriding road rash with hair growing through it.
4. On roads with lots of animal products (didn't we have a manure thread running around here earlier today?) as in much of Belgium, you tend to get skin infections from the crud on the road. Shaved legs minimize this both by lowering the amount that sticks to your legs and by helping keep the hair follicles on your legs clean.
5. Easier massage.
6. Cosmetics.
7. Less water is held on your legs, so racing in the rain doesn't have as much of a cooling effect.
8. Best of all, Sean Eadie's explanation: The year he won the world sprint championships, he was asked if he was a slower sprinter because of the huge beard he wore. He replied, "Of course not." The interviewer persisted, "Well, why do you shave your legs then if all that hair doesn't matter?" Eadie, with a grin: "Darling, it feels so great in bed!"

dirtdigger88
12-29-2004, 10:41 PM
I do it to annoy mrs dirt-

jason

12-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Digger,

Reason #7-1/2: It shows women how it feels when they don't shave their legs frequently enough.

Is that what you had in mind? With frequent shaving, you can make it a thrill for your significant other, as Eadie apparently discovered.

dirtdigger88
12-29-2004, 11:45 PM
no- she just thinks it is another part of the whole silly cycling thing- I have tried to explain it- but I have failed- at least she is cool about my riding

jason

vaxn8r
12-30-2004, 12:08 AM
IF it's so critical to shave LEGS why don't they shave ARMS???

Sorry for yelling but come on folks read the question.

oracle
12-30-2004, 12:09 AM
there are many who do.

William
12-30-2004, 05:27 AM
Seems like we had hashed this topic a while back. The main reasons have already been covered here.

As for shaving the arms, I can only speak for myself. My legs are much hairy-er then my arms. In crashes, because of the way I generally roll (learned HOW to fall during my skate boarding days), my legs tend to get a lot more road rash then my arms ever have.

Mrs. William hates it when I shave the legs as well, she almost cried the first time I did it (seriously).

William

Climb01742
12-30-2004, 05:53 AM
i think most folks begin shaving for practical reasons -- i did after my first really bad crash years ago -- but continue doing so past their racing days and into old fartdom (yours truly) purely for how it looks. honestly, to me nowadays, unshaved legs look odd. and about arms, vax, i guess i'm like william...i tended to fall on hips/legs and shoulders...not so much arms...and my massages focus more on the legs and back, and very little on the arms...these mighty toothpicks i have! :rolleyes:

and hey, 11.4, always good to hear from you.

dnovo
12-30-2004, 06:04 AM
I'd shave if I could figure out how to transfer the results from legs to head.

Why is it as you get older, and I am an older fart than you, Climb, I assure you, that you grow too much hair where you don't want it and didn't have it when you were young, and no longer have it where you want it and where it used to be in your ute? ("Sure, yer Honor, ya know, two Utes.") Dave N.

Climb01742
12-30-2004, 06:09 AM
how true, dave. for purely aerodynamic reasons, i should start shaving my ears. :rolleyes:

dnovo
12-30-2004, 06:22 AM
:-) Dave N.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2004, 06:56 AM
. . . partly to see what benefits it really would have besides in a fall (since I rigorously avoid doing that! ;) ) and, admittedly, partly for the style factor to show I’m a “serious” rider.

By this point, though, I’m like Climb--unshaven legs look weird. As for the rest of the body, I also have to admit that in my serious bodybuilding days I gave it a try and found out that if you really ARE Ah-nold and have the build and the tan it looks good. I‘m not, though, and it DIDN’T! I looked--and felt--like a plucked chicken! One experiment that will not be repeated. Of course, if I started dating all three members of Destiny’s Child at once and THEY asked me to do it, then I might reconsider! . . . ;)

And 11.4--don’t worry about finding a special excuse. I don’t bother, and I post idiot stuff on here all the time! ;) :eek:

BBDave

dsimon
12-30-2004, 07:49 AM
i shave beacuse i have sexxxy leggs :crap: :crap:

pale scotsman
12-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I could see shaving if you are part sasquatch but the average joe doesn't need to in my opinion. Maybe 'cause I'm not a hairy dude, but I just don't see the need. Oh yeah, I've crashed pleeeentttyyyyy.

What cracks me up is the guys at the gym that shave their arms and legs and don't even look like they work out.

Then again I'm the guy routinely wears (gasp) cotton t-shirts and baggy shorts for my rides.

dirtdigger88
12-30-2004, 08:20 AM
I have said it before- I am so glad I am not wookie- like. I do shave my legs- but to be honest- if I didn't and you were 10 feet away from me- you would think I did shave. The hair on my arm and legs if very light and blond. Funny thing is that i could grow a full beard (black) in just a couple of weeks. Now what about those folks who shave their backs- :confused: Whats up with that

Jason

Big Dan
12-30-2004, 08:25 AM
I really like reading threads like this, mainly to hear why people don't shave...
The people that shave know why they do already..........
:bike:

Ti Designs
12-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I shave out of habit. I started shaving my legs when I started racing, the two just went together - young fast kid with shaved legs. When I admit to being old and slow I'll stop shaving my legs. It's that itchy transition from smooth to hairy that I fear. Well, that and getting old...

As for my arms, I shave them when I get serious about my training. In training for time trials I do find that what little hair I have on my arms bothers me when I get into the aero bars, which isn't that often. I've also never needed deep tissue massage on my arms, I doubt if there's enough muscle there to qualify as deep tissue. The one thing I noticed about shaving my arms is that it's a lot harder to do. The place I get road rash the most is damn hard to reach.

Ozz
12-30-2004, 09:16 AM
No racing
No massage
Therefore, no shaving...

I have considered it for the "cycling culture" and "cool" factor, but it just seems like too much effort for such trivial reasons...good for those who have time to do this.

toaster
12-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Boy, you gotta love shaving as a hot topic for discussion, I just couldn't resist clicking on the thread as well.

Waxing ought to be a subject for all of us real men to discuss. Shaving has been beaten to death as a topic in bicycling forums everywhere. Must be a curious thing indeed!

SPOKE
12-30-2004, 04:25 PM
i think it's kinda fun dropping my "shaven" friends and others.
long live the WOOKIES!!!!! :p

Dekonick
12-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't shave because

1) My wife doesn't like it

2) Have you ever seen a shaved firefighter? The looks on the road are less bothersome than the hell I would get at work.

3) It looks like a pain in the arse.

4) If I am not paid to ride and therefore dont get gratis massages...I am not shaving my legs... its bad enough to have to shave your face.

jfelice
12-30-2004, 05:27 PM
don't shave (legs or arms) as me wife swears if i do that she will grow her armpit hair long enough to braid it

the only negative i really see is not looking that cool on the bike and legs being a trap for all bugs large and small.

vaxn8r
12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks to those that offered opinions about why to NOT shave the upper extremities.

I'm still amazed how many pros who do not shave their arms. Joseba Beloki is one who looks like he's growing a beard on his arms with his legs shaven smooth as a baby's butt.

It just strikes me as funny and makes me think it's truly more about tradition than any of the reasons many "claim" it to be about.

alembical
12-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Vax,
I agree, but I do think that shaving your legs does make a difference for those who are gettting daily massages, and that might be one reason so many pros do it. I unfortunately do not get daily leg massages (nor am I counting on my legs for my job), so I therefore am also a wookie.

Wookie-like Alembical

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2004, 08:23 PM
. . . is people complaining that it must be a pain in the *** to do. It takes me about 15 minutes once a week and I think I have pretty averagely hairy legs. It’s just not that big a deal. But I guess if you are a real Sasquatch it would be. The only time it takes a really long time is the first time you do it.

BBDave

Big Dan
12-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Another common excuse is the wife....that's rough way to live....The wife let's you buy 4K bike or bikes but won't let you shave...... :no:

:fight:

RABikes2
12-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Somehow, I get the feeling responding to this post is going to come back to haunt me later, but...

I've been a massage therapist for 19 years and my vote...SHAVED legs are primo to work on. Hairy legs/arms = lots of lotion and glides aren't as good either.

I know a few athletes and friends who do shave both their arm and legs. I asked one couple why (both very talented athletes, him; a cyclist and her; a national speed skating champ, ex-bodybuilder, and cyclist). They stated it was done for the look AND the clean-up after a fall.

Personally, I like shaved legs on a guy. I'll draft 'em anytime to just look; only the single guys mind you ;) . Shave/non-shave choices are just like the white socks/black socks debate. Personal appeal. :D

RA

pale scotsman
12-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Waxing ought to be a subject for all of us real men to discuss. Shaving has been beaten to death as a topic in bicycling forums everywhere. Must be a curious thing indeed!

I worked with a guy that waxed his whole body, or at least he said he did. If his hair grew out he'd have more hair on his tricep that most guys have on their whole body. No kidding. I always thought that the more you shaved or waxed the thicker the hair would come back.

GoJavs
12-30-2004, 08:57 PM
My wife actually loves the shaven legs and has threatened to grow her own if I let mine grow back! I've found that the shaven legs serve me as a reminder of my commitment to the bike.

The four bikes in the garage do help with that also... :D

Dr. Doofus
12-30-2004, 09:32 PM
1) the trainer at Rock Hill High prefers to work on shaved legs

2) it pisses off some people, for some reason

3) does help with post-crash cleanup. And "I," your Doofus, crash early and often

4) when its hot, your narrator has been known to shave his arms and chest to help the sweat evaporate more quickly...those fellow skinny hairy guys who live in the southeast and south will understand....

oracle
12-30-2004, 11:32 PM
i have always preferred women who waxed.....

poetic
:-)

vaxn8r
12-31-2004, 01:52 AM
I worked with a guy that waxed his whole body, or at least he said he did. If his hair grew out he'd have more hair on his tricep that most guys have on their whole body. No kidding. I always thought that the more you shaved or waxed the thicker the hair would come back.
That is a myth....

vaxn8r
12-31-2004, 01:55 AM
4) when its hot, your narrator has been known to shave his arms and chest to help the sweat evaporate more quickly...those fellow skinny hairy guys who live in the southeast and south will understand....

Theoretically hair ought to help with the evaporative process by spreading out the sweat effectively increasing the surface of the skin. More surface area equals more cooling.

Now if you have a thick mass of black hair absorbing heat, maybe that counteracts the cooling effects....

Climb01742
12-31-2004, 05:33 AM
i'm curious...if we started a thread about not being "the master of my domain" (see seinfeld episode where george's mother walks in on him with a victoria's secret catalog)...i'd like to see the rational reasons for doing it...it relaxes me...it kills a few minutes...keeps the system in working order...or just the most honest one...

isn't the most honest answer about why we shave our legs...we like how it looks...and the "practical" reasons are good cover for ego? :beer:

William
12-31-2004, 08:07 AM
I can be honest about shaving. :rolleyes:

Ok, it does tend to give you that chisled look. Some women really like it :beer: , some think it's kind of, you know, _ _ _ (Not that there is anything wrong with that). It just looks better, OK, I said it. :p If it was ok for Ahh-nold, it's ok for me.

I still maintain (from experience) that if you are doing a lot of aggressive riding or racing, shave those legs. If you don't get in a wipe out, no big, you are looking good ;) . If you do, you are going to be mucho glad you did if you end with a bad case of weepy-seepy road rash.:bike:

Now, as I mentioned in the previous "shaving" thread, I went Wookie this year (did I scare you with my fury legs Molly? :) )for the first time since the early 90's. Felt a little funny out there at first, but after a while, no big. No one called me fur ball or anything like that (at least not to my face :rolleyes: ). But I know that if I had gone down I'd be wishing that I had.

Ok, I've justified to myself. I'm feeling OK with it now. :banana: ;)

William Wookie, Master of my Domain.

toaster
12-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Shaving brings out our narcissism. Why else would we do it and then spend three pages talking about it?

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2004, 09:54 AM
I had a girfriend some(!) years into the past who was into massage, and I vote with you--body hair and massage oil do NOT mix! Yucky feeling and yucky to clean up. I also learned respect for massage therapists out of the experience. How DO you manage to apply pressure with your hands for an hour? 20 minutes of massaging her back or legs and my arms hurt like hell!

BBDave