PDA

View Full Version : '05 Chevy Corvette C6........YAY OR NAY??

CarlosContreros
12-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Any opinions??
I love it!! :)
I never liked Corvettes until Chevy came out
with the Z06!!
The C6 "styling" is being compared to the Acura NSX...personally I think
the C6 looks better!..has more PUNCH!!...and is $30K cheaper!

I wanted a C6 and Jennifer Garner for Christmas!!!
Neither! :crap:
maybe nxt year!! :confused:

PS..just to keep this "bicycle themed"...what's a "compact crank"???
how's it differ from a "conventional crank"?

RichMc
12-30-2004, 12:21 AM
First off; a "compact crank" has smaller chainrings compared to a "conventional crank". i.e. a 50-34 compared to a 53-39. Good in hilly areas where one might want to sacrifice some top end speed for lower gearing on steep hills without having to run a triple.

Secondly; Yes! That new Corvette is a looker. You know what though? It's still a little pricey and the '05 Mustang V8 is very, very tempting. Looks good and sounds better. Downside is not being very adaptable for bike racks, maybe, I think.

TriJim
12-30-2004, 02:31 AM
Viper ;)

http://www.FEViper.com/

Steve800
12-30-2004, 04:27 AM
Lotus Elise can not be beat for the money, not to mention the fun factor is off the scale.

William
12-30-2004, 05:34 AM
Corvette - Ehh.
Mustang - :cool: I like the throw-back to the Mach 1 lines.
Viper - way :cool:

I have to be honest here. If I were going to spend that kind of $$$ on a car, I would be looking for a classic 1970 Plymouth Superbird (426 Hemi 0r 440), or a 67 - 70 Super Bee, Road Runner, GTX, Charger or possibly a Cuda (again 426 Hemi or 440 6-pack). What can I say, I like classic muscle. :cool:

Compact cranks :confused:

No thank you.

William :)

Climb01742
12-30-2004, 05:44 AM
for the same money as a 'vette, a mustang or a viper, find a used 993 and blow the doors off of them all! :p :rolleyes:

bulliedawg
12-30-2004, 06:20 AM
YAY! Way YAY!

dnovo
12-30-2004, 06:21 AM
The new 'Vette (and yes, even the new Ferrari, new SLR, Lambo, etc) are all 'just cars' and will, like all new cars today, be superceded by something newer in a year or two and will just be used cars. Ah, now for the old days, as we old farts are wont to say. I yearn for the days of 'real cars.' Having reached the Age of Jaded, I sold off my formerly too extensive list of motor toys, I kept two after peeling off Ferraris, race cars, etc. To me, those are the last of what I call "real cars", at least from my former inventory.

The first is my Caterham Superlight R with QED 2.4 ltr full race Cosworth/Vaux (280hp, 1100lbs.) The second -- and the point of this response (is there one?) is the last and favorite of the former fleet of four wheel motor vehicles here at Casa Novo (still have 1986 Bimota DB-1 and Velocette Thruxton as two wheel motors from that now-also depleted fleet) and my legacy to my son when and if I go to that Big Courtroom in the Sky, the perfectly restored 1962 triple black Corvette, 327/340. Now THATS a "REAL CORVETTE" and not anything they have built since 1967.

The original engine/trans is in a crate in the garage, in a 50 year old drivetrain is a liability if you want to drive anything and the original brakes were state of the art circa 1948, and not updated since the original design for the first generation Corvettes in 1953, It has a carefully installed 350ci ZZ4 crate motor/new 4spd trans and front discs so it can be driven fast and safely on nice summer days. The '62 was the last of the solid axle 'Vettes, and as far as I am concerned, the last of the real Vettes was built in 1967.

God, it is so nice when you reach the stage in life when to be crabby and express opinions like these are excused as age-appropriate behavior!

Off for a second cup of coffee after the morning ride then off to shower, shave (face, not legs) and now a final day of stealing from widows and orphans in our lovely Justice System.

Dave N.

(P.S. Vipers do have their place, in a window so they can be Vindow Vipers.)

Bruce K
12-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Rich;

A small correction....

It is my understanding that a compact crank is one that has a smaller bolt circle, allowing the use of smaller diameter chain rings.

The term seems to have come to mean gearing with a 50T big ring and 34T-36T small ring.

You can mount a 50 tooth or even 48 on standard cranks as has been done on cross bikes for years. The small ring seems to be limited to 38T with "standard" cranks.

And yes, the new Corvettes are pretty amazing. I do still fancy Vipers also. I know Pete likes his M3 and there are certainly fine import options, but in the end, there is no substitute for cubic horsepower. :banana:

BK

Climb01742
12-30-2004, 06:46 AM
bruce, as i'm sure your mini has shown you often, low weight can, on occassion, be a nice substitute for horsepower. :rolleyes: sadly, sports cars are aging athletes...we all put on weight without the engine growing enough.

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2004, 06:46 AM
. . . is simply a hole in the pavement that you pour money into. Kind of like a bike, except more expensive! :rolleyes:

And dnovo . . . nice to see your curmudgeonly self here! I have no idea what you’re talking about, but it’s still nice to hear from you! ;)

BBDave

JohnS
12-30-2004, 06:55 AM
There's a joke here somewhere about fast, expensive cars and compact cranks, but my New Year's resolution is to be nicer to people, so I'll let it pass! :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
12-30-2004, 06:59 AM
I think it was fast WOMEN and compact cranks, but you’re right--onward . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Richard
12-30-2004, 07:10 AM
There is also a joke about the difference between a porcupine and a [insert name of fast expensive car you want but can't afford here]. The difference? With a porcupine the prick is on the outside.

Bruce K
12-30-2004, 07:13 AM
dnovo;

You must have been posting at the same time I was.

Caterhams? Now some of us are really going to date ourselves. THOSE were true sports cars.

There was a guy around here who actually had a turbocharged Caterham that could blow the doors off of almost anything around once it got rolling (no bottom end torque to speak of). There is something about a sports car that literally lets you rub elbows with your competition...

BK

dbrk
12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Cool cars are all a fantasy to me. I grew up around them but have never really owned or wanted one. Well, I lie. I've wanted one 'cause what's not to like? But I have no idea what _that_ car would be.

There is only one car that I really, truly, honestly want. I think it might be affordable but it would have to be the right one and not too hard to acquire ('cause I hate hassles).

The Citroen 2CV. Could a car be cooler than this? When I get mine the guy who hammers on the _social_ TdFL ride will be forced the next day to drive it as the sag wagon (even though he or, dare I say, she will have to struggle to get the thing to keep up with the _social_ pace, these cars being what they are.) It's not that it's French, though it does remind me of Huret derailleurs and Mafac centerpulls, both dear to my heart, but rather that it is so, well, itself.

dbrk

Tom
12-30-2004, 08:50 AM
An old Karmann Ghia (manual transmission only) and a '73 Chevy C10 pickup.

This is assuming I get my life straightened out and no longer have a need to drive to work.

dnovo
12-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Ah, Bruce, you say, "Caterhams? Now some of us are really going to date ourselves. THOSE were true sports cars." One minor correction, they still ARE true sports cars! I could post some photos, but that would be real off subject. Contact me if you want some. Suffice it to say 11.2 in the 1/4 mile at Santa Pod in England when it was built. This car's 'twin' was 9sec a lap faster than a Ruf Porsche Turbo at the 'Ring in an Autocar test of the fastest road cars a few years ago, and the Rug topped out at 203 and the Caterham at 143 (pulls like a mother out of the corners.) Dave N.

vandeda
12-30-2004, 09:03 AM
dnovo;

You must have been posting at the same time I was.

Caterhams? Now some of us are really going to date ourselves. THOSE were true sports cars.

There was a guy around here who actually had a turbocharged Caterham that could blow the doors off of almost anything around once it got rolling (no bottom end torque to speak of). There is something about a sports car that literally lets you rub elbows with your competition...

BK

Date yourselves? Man ... you can still buy Caterhams ... and I've wanted one since my early 20s (I'm still only 27 ... so I ain't that old). But oh my gosh are they expensive. If I remember right, the cheapest one is low-20s .... and that's just for a rolling chassis ... and you still have to put it together!!! Once you add an engine & tranny, and someone assembling it if you aren't mechnically inclined or want to take on such a big task, $40k car easy for something that offers 0 practicality. I guess that's the great part about the 'vette. Fast, handles really well, pretty comfy (well, at least in non-Z06 form), even gets upper 20 mpgs on the highway, and way bigger trunk than my Miata had lol. Heck, want more practicality with a lot of the fun, the GTO I drove was fun, and the new ones with the 6L .... oh my.

I love cars of yesteryear and still have my eyes out for mid-60s Chevy II Nova or Ford Falcon ... but I love handling too, and practically todays cheapest econoboxes offer better handling than cars of yesteryear.

But ... the short answer ... C6 ... two thumbs up. I used to hate american cars, but the Corvette just rocks.Everything I've seen people mention rocks in my opinion, I just love cars and performance cars, whether it be straightline, handling, or a good mix of both, classic or moden, I just love performance cars. Regardless, like anything ... does it matter what others think? They wouldn't be the one behind the wheel of the car, you would ;)

Compact cranks? Suck it up .... get a triple ;) Of course, even my mtn bike only has a double ... oh, that's because I dumped the large chainring for a bash guard :D

Dan

pjm
12-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Corvette? Nice, but I can't get my bike into it. However, if Audi were to deposit an RS4 into my garage....
http://www.audiworld.com/news/00/geneva/index_rs4.html

Bruce K
12-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Dave;

I actually took the picture I posted from Caterham's website.

A freind of mine used to race one that was right-hand drive no less until he had a horrific racing accident that d*** near killed him.

My production car racing was centered on a Frog-eye Sprite. Then I moved on to Frmula Cars.

I was lucky enough over the years to have freinds who could afford really cool cars and have had the fun of driving a Trans-Am series Mustang, A Kremer bodied Twin Turbo 935 Porsche, an Acura NSX, and some other fun stuff. No Vipers yet.

I am not sure if there is a real correlation between cyclists and exotic cars. They would almost seem to be counter-intuitive but fast, well made cars surely are a joy.

BK

William
12-30-2004, 09:50 AM
...there is no substitute for cubic horsepower.

An dat's da fact!! :p

I did love my old Saab SPG Turbo. That car was a blast to drive through the turns, stuck like glue. Ripping down NW Cornell from Skyline through forest park and through the tunnels at 5:00 a.m. was sheer fun (except for the speed bump near the Audoban society). My sisters Mustang Cobra on that same run would put a big grin on your face too. 145 mph over the Freemont at 5:00 am....that's a big YEE HAWW!!! :D :D :D

William

Disclaimer:
Though I love to go fast on bikes and driving cars, I'm not stupid. If there are other vehicles around, I drive the speed limit (or close to it).

zap
12-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 anyone :banana: :banana:

Hope it gets sold in the US.

PaulE
12-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Go for the Vette if it's what you want. There are a lot of great choices out there. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money. There will be a Z06 version of the C6 soon. GM will release official information in January. Engine is supposed to be 7 liters. (Can you say 427 cubic inches?) Here is one link to a story on it.
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101358 (http://)

vandeda
12-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Go for the Vette if it's what you want. There are a lot of great choices out there. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money. There will be a Z06 version of the C6 soon. GM will release official information in January. Engine is supposed to be 7 liters. (Can you say 427 cubic inches?) Here is one link to a story on it.

A street legal Supra pumping 800+ hp at it's rear tires from it's 3L does a pretty good job at going fast ;) I've got some video's of Supra's racing sport bikes on the street ... and pulling away like the bikes hit their brakes. Of course .... I've heard the Supra's 3L inline 6 weighs more than a Chevy small block, so it's a bit overbuilt :D

Dan

Ken Robb
12-30-2004, 11:09 AM
On my ride Sunday I saw a guy put his bike in the back of a C5 'vette. He said he can fit two in there if he removes front and rear wheels.

PaulE
12-30-2004, 11:38 AM
vandeda,

That street legal Supra with 800+ hp would be an example of cubic money in my book. :)

RichMc
12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
DBRK,

A 2CV??? Good lord man, get a grip! :D Now if we put a 2.7 liter Porsche 911S engine/trans in it, maybe, but that would be a huge, unforgiveable waste. This was supposed to be about cool, fast cars. And compact cranks. Nevermind the environmental impact of our fantasy cars. I went for the 2005 'stang cause it would have better fuel mileage & emissions from what I'd really like. Apart from the speed & handling of a new Porsche 996 I'd go for a '66 or '67 Mustang fastback, 289 that I'd blueprint & balance myself, cc the heads, port & polish with the 4 speed stick. Maybe even paint it that dark "Bullit" green. Run some headers & Flowmaster pipes. Yeah! Hey, I'm not picky, even an AC Cobra would do, either engine just fine.

Climb01742
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
just curious...are the gold chains standard on a 'vette...or an option? :rolleyes:

count with me here...9+1+1=heaven.

cdmc
12-30-2004, 11:59 AM
for the same money as a 'vette, a mustang or a viper, find a used 993 and blow the doors off of them all! :p :rolleyes:

Unfortunately a 993 is not faster than the Vette or the Viper, but I would still take one in a heartbeat over either. Comparing a 993 to either is like comparing a swiss watch to a watch you buy on a corner in New York. Both look nice off the showroom floor, but the swiss watch will still be working perfectly in 20 years and look good.

If I were considering a new vette' I would consider what you are using it for. If you want a track car that gives you the most bang for the buck, buy it. If you want a fun fast car to enjoy for the next 10-20 years, skip it and buy a used Porsche. Which would you rather own today, a 1994 911 or Corvette C4? A 1984 Corvette or 911 Carrera? How about a 1973 Corvette C3 or a 1973 911S or RS? Porsche's hold up and stand the test of time much better than Vette's have.

Alternatively as another poster said, how about a classic muscle car? Make mine a 65-65 Shelby GT 350 or a 67 Camaro Z28 with a 302 (the nice Trans Am version). I could also be talked into anything with a real 426 hemi.

FlaRider
12-30-2004, 12:31 PM
I'd rather own a BMW M3 over any 'Vette or Porsche. It has German style and superb handling, is screaming fast (0-60 mph in under 5 secs.), has a foldable rear seats so you can fit a bike in your trunk, and costs $20K than a 911. That's why I bought one :rolleyes:

dave thompson
12-30-2004, 12:34 PM
The only modern car to get this old boys heart racing is the new Ford GT-40. Ever since I saw one of the originals go thundering by me during a race, seemingly a hundred years ago, I've wet myself(!) everytime I see one. Now comes the chance for the everyman to own one. 'Tis true love!

William
12-30-2004, 12:46 PM
M0-dern?
I'm not a big Ford man, but I'll side with Dave here. :cool:

William

But I'd take a Viper too. ;)

Tom
12-30-2004, 12:52 PM
This is what we all really want.

You can have your T-mobile or your Bianchi version....

davids
12-30-2004, 01:19 PM
A Caterham? Way cool!

But as far as your curmudgeonly 'Vette ramble - The first real Corvette is the C5. Up until then, they were poorly conceived American sports-car wanna-bes. GM finally got it right with the C5, and now the Corvette is, hands down, the best sports car value out there. Of course, that doesn't change the collectable value of your '62. It's very cool, but just doesn't hold a candle to its contemporareis from Europe.

I'd buy a C6, although my "practical" side tells me to get a Miata, and spend the extra $25k on bicycles...

alembical
12-30-2004, 01:21 PM
The only modern car to get this old boys heart racing is the new Ford GT-40. Ever since I saw one of the originals go thundering by me during a race, seemingly a hundred years ago, I've wet myself(!) everytime I see one. Now comes the chance for the everyman to own one. 'Tis true love!

Dave,
Great car, but I am not sure that everyman has the chance to own one with a starting price of $150,000 plus.

Alembical

Bruce K
12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Now you're talking Dave! :banana:

Euro style married to American Thunder.

Anyone rember the Pantera? There was an awesome beast as long as you kept your hand-held fire extinguisher handy for those little, annoying carburetor fires. :eek:

BK

csb
12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
dbrks choice for the dream car was also the choice
of designers planning an inexpensive updated
plastic version for africa, something rugged with very
basic amenities, such as side glass that travels up +
down by a vertical sliding handle instead of the usual
crank or god forbid for you lazy muthas... electric windows.

anyways i believe it went the way of that new crank
powered radio...fancy people bought them as toys
instead of being bought by their intended market.

zap
12-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Bruce-I've tested a few Pantera's. Great potential, especially the GT5-S with a 427 engine. Still might get one but requires a lot of mods to bring out the potential. It would be fun.

Dave-Consider the CAV GT40 replica with prices starting at 75K. First saw one on the road when riding :banana: Great engineering and fit and finish from S. Africa. A number of great products from there these days including Superformance.

I sat in a CAV put couldn't close the door for fear of chopping my head off. Duck and Gurney bubble option for me ;)

But back to the original poster. The C6 looks very good and big performance for the money.

Dr. Doofus
12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
get a hemi Dart, if you can find one...they made the 600 (?) they needed to race them, and that's it...no back seat, no options, and a 426....

spend the remaining money on a PegoMasi

William
12-30-2004, 03:53 PM
The good Dr. is correct.

The "special" GTS's were contracted through Hurst Performance. In 1968 they had a limited number of 440 Wedge & 426 Hemi Darts. In 69 they built over 600 440 powered Darts. Quarter mile times in the 10's off the floor. If you can find one of these...GRAB IT!!!

The standard GTS's came with two optional V8's, the 340 & 383.

William (The MOPAR man :D )

Smiley
12-30-2004, 04:27 PM
How many speeding tickets has Smokey got you for William and Bruce . I think Novo talked his way out of tickets :banana:

CarlosContreros
12-30-2004, 06:37 PM

Hey Dave!
Yeah....GT-40's are sweet!
I saw a road test on "Car and Driver" TV and it was picked over
a Ferrari and a Porsche as the editor's favorite!
It smoked those other cars because of it's "sheer brawn"..and also
great handling!!
I remember the editors "*****ed" about "blind spots" and such! :D
I have seen the average schmo can't just waltz into Ford and buy
one. I saw a guy on a site was advertising he had the "rights" to
buy 2 GT-40's..and he was selling those rights for $150K apiece!!!
Of course...a GT-40 costs $150K....I don't understand Ford's thinking??

Ares
12-30-2004, 06:48 PM

http://www.graciano.com/mt

Ares
12-30-2004, 06:57 PM
A street legal Supra pumping 800+ hp at it's rear tires from it's 3L does a pretty good job at going fast ;) I've got some video's of Supra's racing sport bikes on the street ... and pulling away like the bikes hit their brakes. Of course .... I've heard the Supra's 3L inline 6 weighs more than a Chevy small block, so it's a bit overbuilt :D

Dan

A bit overbuilt? There exists stock bottom ends 2JZ-GTE's running 900+ HP (I forget what the record is). Depends on how you define street legal because they're all using C16 gasoline.

PaulE
12-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Ares,

Thanks. That's awsome. I only hope GM gets smart and uses 427 c.i. instead of 7 liters. Some of their customers won't make the connection.

The Ford GT is awsome also. One thing about it I read in the NY Times but never realized is that if you get into that car outdoors when it's raining, you get a puddle on your seat because the door cutout that extends half way across the roof. But hey, who needs practicality in a car like that?

palincss
12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
There is only one car that I really, truly, honestly want. I think it might be affordable but it would have to be the right one and not too hard to acquire ('cause I hate hassles).

The Citroen 2CV. Could a car be cooler than this? When I get mine the guy who hammers on the _social_ TdFL ride will be forced the next day to drive it as the sag wagon (even though he or, dare I say, she will have to struggle to get the thing to keep up with the _social_ pace, these cars being what they are.) It's not that it's French, though it does remind me of Huret derailleurs and Mafac centerpulls, both dear to my heart, but rather that it is so, well, itself.

dbrk

The Godess is cooler, by far. (That is, the DS-19 or DS-21.) The one that looks like a land shark, preferably in black. Hydropneumatic suspension, ultra streamlined, single-spoke steering wheel, brake pedal that was a button on the floor, the Deesse had it all. Malevolence incarnate, whether it contained gangsters or the flics, and the ultimate in coolness in my book.

On the other hand, I know of no car other than the venerable Deux Chevaux where you could take out the seats and use them as lawn furniture. For that matter, I know of no other car where the seats _were_ lawn furniture.

Ares
12-30-2004, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=cdmc]Unfortunately a 993 is not faster than the Vette or the Viper, but I would still take one in a heartbeat over either. Comparing a 993 to either is like comparing a swiss watch to a watch you buy on a corner in New York. Both look nice off the showroom floor, but the swiss watch will still be working perfectly in 20 years and look good.

If I were considering a new vette' I would consider what you are using it for. If you want a track car that gives you the most bang for the buck, buy it. If you want a fun fast car to enjoy for the next 10-20 years, skip it and buy a used Porsche. Which would you rather own today, a 1994 911 or Corvette C4? A 1984 Corvette or 911 Carrera? How about a 1973 Corvette C3 or a 1973 911S or RS? Porsche's hold up and stand the test of time much better than Vette's have.

QUOTE]

Depends how you look at it. Mid 80's vettes were junk, until the ZR1, but there still torquey and you can have a lot of fun, there's also a ton out there and they are very cheap. It would make a great track car for a weekend warrior. Owning a pre-84 porsche is almost the same as owning an old steel hot rod, and you can run into a lot of problems. The biggest problem is that their chain tensioners on the timing chain and you'll can end up with nasty piston slap. I don't especially like newer porsche's, but the company itself has pioneered and implemented a lot of racing technology in their 959 and the fabled 956 and still do today. If I were to own a porsche it would be a mid-eighties 930 even thought i'm not a fan of a four speed, but hey 150 mpg is fast enough on the streets :beer:

Ares
12-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Ares,

Thanks. That's awsome. I only hope GM gets smart and uses 427 c.i. instead of 7 liters. Some of their customers won't make the connection.

The Ford GT is awsome also. One thing about it I read in the NY Times but never realized is that if you get into that car outdoors when it's raining, you get a puddle on your seat because the door cutout that extends half way across the roof. But hey, who needs practicality in a car like that?

The LS7 is no more than a stroked and bored small block. I think it should be that way. I don't really think you'll ever see a big block in a corvette anymore, as chevrolet is on the pinnacle of small block v8 technology. There's just too many regulations that need to be met now for that to happen, EPA and emissions and all.

I really think Ford ruined the GT. First, the thing that really bites me is the 50k+ mark up at dealerships, but thats besides the point. But i really got burned at the engine, what a joke. I wanted ford would return to the 427 that famed the car at LeMans with raw power and a beautiful shape, but i figured an all aluminum 350 with a lot of innovation. Instead you get an 330 ci with a roots-type supercharger. I felt really let down. This car deserved a lot better at its heart rather than forced induction. But i give it to Ford on their structural and suspension design. You can't drive it everyday because if you actually drive it the way its meant, you get around 7 miles per gallon and mean quoted daily i think is around 17 mpg. Awesome car none the less, but Ford could have done ten times better.

jhurwitz
12-30-2004, 11:14 PM
C6 is way yeah; styling, performance, heritage, refinement, improved cockpit, outstanding value, kick *** on the track. I have battled a fair number of C5s and Z06s on the track. New C6 will be an improvement. No downside unless you need a back seat (which I do and why I drive an E46 M3).

Cheers,

JSH

Climb01742
12-31-2004, 05:43 AM
i've owned a few 911s and M3s...and lust after another 911...but because of family reasons drive a BMW wagon now...but does this feeling ever afflict anyone else...whenever i think about getting a 911 or M3 or most somewhat readily available sportscars, i run into the "*sshole" factor...so many *sses drive amazing cars...they've become such a cliche...somehow the cars have become slightly tainted to me...not really but sort of...that it makes me want to seek out something unsullied by *sses...like an old DB5...or an avante...anyone else feel this way?

William
12-31-2004, 08:36 AM
whenever i think about getting a 911 or M3 or most somewhat readily available sportscars, i run into the "*sshole" factor...so many *sses drive amazing cars...they've become such a cliche...somehow the cars have become slightly tainted to me...not really but sort of...that it makes me want to seek out something unsullied by *sses...like an old DB5...or an avante...anyone else feel this way?

I know what you're saying. There tends to be images/sterotypes associated with different types of cars (and many other things). But if I let sterotypes bother me, then there would have been many things in this life that I would never have done or experienced. Don't worry about what "other people" might think, just do (or buy) what makes you happy.

Now, on the flip side, it's like Harleys for me. I like them, but everyone and their mother out here has one. So, it's a Buell X1W for me. It's not because of any sterotype or feeling about Harley riders in particular, I just like running against the grain, beat of a different drummer, etc... and I just like it.

Just do what makes you happy. :)

William

William
12-31-2004, 08:46 AM
How many speeding tickets has Smokey got you for William and Bruce . I think Novo talked his way out of tickets

Actually I have only had three tickets since 1983. I love to go fast, whether I'm laying on my top tube ripping down a mountain pass, or flying down a winding road in a car or on a motorcycle, but I'm smart about it. I'll only do it on roads I know well, at times of no traffic.

William

"I feel the need, the need....for speed!" :cool:

dirtdigger88
12-31-2004, 09:08 AM
See you guy just don't get it- to avoid the tickets you have to go stelth. the cops are always on the look out for the sports cars (I could list the ones I have owned- but then I would sound like another fourm member :p ) I can fly in my truck and never- even get a second look from the police. When I travel between St. Louis and Nashville I set the cruise on 95 for most of the way- not a second look. Try that with a Vette!!!

Jason

Kurt
12-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Corvette? Nice, but I can't get my bike into it. However, if Audi were to deposit an RS4 into my garage....

that is quite the car, I ended up just getting an S4 a few weeks ago with a MT and its a rocket, also have 2 bikes in the sedan so its also pretty useful. nothing is more fun for around 53K and yes, I have owned a boxsterS.

Bruce K
12-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Speeding tickets - 1 in 1974 and that was a "railroad job" by a state trooper who pulled me over because I was the car with the CB antenna on my roof.

I was 21 at the time and returning to college on I-90. He paced me off my driver's door while a group of other cars drove away from us. His first comment was: "What's the matter son, no Smokey reports on that thing?"

He appeared quite crestfallen when I told him it was broken. :rolleyes:

There probably have been a bunch of times I should have gotten one. :D

Most of my above the speed limit stuff has been done on a race track during Sports Car Club of America races or during the old IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series, which was one of the predecessors to the current Speedvision series.

Somehow I have always felt safer at speed on a race track. Theoretically everyone is going in the same direction and knows what they are doing. Sometimes those assumptions turn out to be bogus and stuff happens. :crap:

BK

Kevin
12-31-2004, 10:04 AM
that is quite the car, I ended up just getting an S4 a few weeks ago with a MT and its a rocket, also have 2 bikes in the sedan so its also pretty useful. nothing is more fun for around 53K and yes, I have owned a boxsterS.

I ordered a 2005 A6 4.2 about 5 weeks ago; still waiting for delivery. A V8 with 335 ponies, 6 speed and awd. It is going to be a blast. With only 2,000 slated for the states, it will be a somewhat rare car.

Kevin

Kevin
12-31-2004, 10:15 AM

How about the RS6? 10 cylinder engine from Audi's sister company Lamborghini, with over 500 ponies. According to Car and Driver it is expected to hit the states as a 2006 model.

Kevin

Dr. Doofus
12-31-2004, 11:03 AM
there's a woman in Woodland Park CO, who can never drive in Wyoming again....seems she wanted to see what her 911 could do and tore across a good part of the state at 180...so the cops just waited at the CO border, stopped her, gave her a fine that would buy a Serotta, and told her she couldn't come back....

Bruce K
12-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Kev;

I had such a bad experience with my allroad I will probably never own another Audi again. I still haven't figured out if it was the car that was so bad or the service department but I figured one visit every 2700 miles for something not working was way too much.

I have many freinds who enjoy their Audis and good luck with yours but for me, remember what the raven said....

BK

Kurt
12-31-2004, 11:07 AM
I ordered a 2005 A6 4.2 about 5 weeks ago; still waiting for delivery. A V8 with 335 ponies, 6 speed and awd. It is going to be a blast. With only 2,000 slated for the states, it will be a somewhat rare car.

Kevin

you will love that car - I just turned in a 2002 2.7 with the sports package and a 6-speed, just a perfect car. I felt funny about going to the S4 after 4 A6's, but so far the smaller size is fine (no kids) the engine is just unreal, post what you think about the sound, you will feel like mcqueen or nascar.

edit: oh, almost forgot - the gas mileage is beyond sucking, I am @ around 11mpg in the city. just want to prepare you for the shock.

RichMc
12-31-2004, 11:11 AM
there's a woman in Woodland Park CO, who can never drive in Wyoming again....seems she wanted to see what her 911 could do and tore across a good part of the state at 180...so the cops just waited at the CO border, stopped her, gave her a fine that would buy a Serotta, and told her she couldn't come back....

That's no ordinary 911 for sure. I sure hope she had an aerodynamics package that was keeping her planted at that speed. At 180 a regular shaped 911 has become a wing. :eek:

pjm
12-31-2004, 11:19 AM

Lucky you! The new A6 is gorgeous. Nobody does interiors like Audi.

Climb01742
12-31-2004, 11:46 AM
you will love that car - I just turned in a 2002 2.7 with the sports package and a 6-speed, just a perfect car. I felt funny about going to the S4 after 4 A6's, but so far the smaller size is fine (no kids) the engine is just unreal, post what you think about the sound, you will feel like mcqueen or nascar.

edit: oh, almost forgot - the gas mileage is beyond sucking, I am @ around 11mpg in the city. just want to prepare you for the shock.

kurt, just be careful with the front end of your S4...the way they wedged that V8 in there, there's not much leeway upfront...if someone taps your grill, your V8 will burp! that said, an S4 avant is pretty high on my lust list.

alembical
12-31-2004, 12:10 PM

That reminds me of the guy ticketed for going 205 mph on his crotch rocket.... http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

or the DRUNK driver going over 180 mph in Pennsylvania in his Lamborghini Diablo http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/faenza1.html

Alembical

Kevin
12-31-2004, 04:35 PM
Kev;

I had such a bad experience with my allroad I will probably never own another Audi again. I still haven't figured out if it was the car that was so bad or the service department but I figured one visit every 2700 miles for something not working was way too much.

I have many freinds who enjoy their Audis and good luck with yours but for me, remember what the raven said....

BK

I am little concerned about the reliability. So I am going with the extended warranty (100,000 miles). The dealer is also only 5 miles from the house and is on the way to the office. But the ride is so sweet that I am willing to take the risk.

Kevin

dnovo
01-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Okay, enough of the 'real cars need big engines' routine. Attached are some shots of "Bete Noir", my 1998 Catherham SuperLight R with 280 hp QED/Cosworth 2.4 ltr dry sump engine/trans. 1100 pounds and it will out handle and outrun any of the mothers you guys have been talking about. Power to Weight is king! Dave N. (yes, I DID have a rough night, and five cups of coffee this morning. Happy 2005 all.)

dnovo
01-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Another

dnovo
01-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Yet more!

dnovo
01-01-2005, 07:59 AM
A little different than the handlebar and shifters on my Ottrott. (The WWI leather helmet and goggles were my "Happy New Car, Snoopy" present from my wife. The joke is, at speed, with the wind whipping around the sides, you need them.) Dave N.

Bruce K
01-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Dave;

I am jealous and in love at the same time.

Your baby is beautiful!!

Your sunner days in the countryside must be heaven.

Happy New YEar,

BK

Smiley
01-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Very NICE dave Novo .

Kevin
01-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Sweet.

Kevin

dnovo
01-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks. And not that unlike some of our bikes. Note that the dash, fenders, headlight buckets, radiator shell, mirrors, etc are carbon fiber, some titanium bits in a few places, and with an eye towards weight reduction, most of the body and other bits (other than suspension where 'steel is real' still holds sway) are ultra-thin and lightweight aluminum panels (the hood weighs about as much as a sheet of Reynolds Wrap.) Not all that much different from an Ottrott, but a bit faster. Dave N.

(And now for something REALLY different for those diehard big inch fans, but now long gone. Old pic from days of yore, before I was converted to the gospel of power/weight ratios. Shelby's answer to the "how do you beat Ferrari" question: Answer, get a bigger hammer or 289 ci bye bye.)

Climb01742
01-01-2005, 11:46 AM
dave, mrs novo must be VERY understanding! ;) oh the toys you have...lucky boy!

RichMc
01-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Dnuvo,

I'd go for that car in a hot, freeking second. That is one very cool car, wind flapping aside. Lucky guy!

dnovo
01-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks Climb, but most of the toys (race cars, fast motorcyles, fast er, uh, let's pass on the rest for now) are long gone. Call it a feckless youth. Just clean living left, with the Vette and the Catherham the last cars left (my 'every day' wheels is a Lexus RX330) and two motorcyles left out of what had been many, the Velocette Thruxton and the Bimota DB1. Bikes with pedals are more healthy anyhow.

As for Mrs. Novo, she rides horses, and whomever invented the phrase "healthy as a horse" obviously did not ride one, or support the board fees and the vet bills. So, no Mrs. Novo does not hassle me, particularly as she has her antiques as well,. Mine are in the garage, but in addition to her current 'ride' she has her antique collection living in 'retirement' in Virginia, her retired first horse. (That mare has a better pension plan than I.) Dave N.

Ti Designs
01-01-2005, 05:12 PM
The fun cars are all these special machines which get taken out of the garage on sunny days. It's like that special bike that you don't want to get dirty. They're only fun when you drive or ride them - OK, they're kinda fun just to own but...

Here's my solution:

http://www.ti-designs.com/medusa/Medusa.JPG

That thing sitting on top of the intake manifold is named Medusa, an individual port multistage nitrous system. The black box to the left is the air-water intercooler. You would never know it's under the hood 'cept for the car sitting a few inches lower, plus the wing and side exhaust. That's 270HP in a car that comes in under 2000 pounds, and I drive it to work.

If that doesn't sound like enough fun, there is a Super Seven with Medusa 3 mounted on a Mazda 13B twin turbo - it's big problem is severe understeer in second gear because the front wheels come off the ground. Must suck to have problems like that.

glaucman
01-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I'd rather own a BMW M3 over any 'Vette or Porsche. It has German style and superb handling, is screaming fast (0-60 mph in under 5 secs.), has a foldable rear seats so you can fit a bike in your trunk, and costs $20K than a 911. That's why I bought one :rolleyes:

I concur. 100bhp/liter (I-6 333 bhp) is something to marvel in engine design and performance.

My most recent BMW aquisition...2005 (10/2004 production) E46 M3/6 speed manual/19in wheels/Titanium Silver. This will be the last model year for the E46 design, the best in my opinion.

Oh and the color matches my Legend Ti.

Climb01742
01-01-2005, 05:36 PM
but secretly, don't you lust after the new 500-hp M5? :rolleyes:

JohnS
01-01-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah, but my Focus ZX3 gets 30mpg! :p

Ken Robb
01-01-2005, 07:02 PM
gee JohnS--my bikes get 30 MPH

BumbleBeeDave
01-01-2005, 09:26 PM
. . . else besides JohnS who has a normal car please chime in here to alleviate my depression? :(

BBDave . . . still driving his 9 year old Passport, which must last 6 more years till BBGeneva exits college.

dnovo
01-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Geez BB, a Lexus RX330 isn't normal? It replaced a Ford SportTrac. What should I get to be more normal for its replacement, a Saturn Wagon? Dave N. (And, I have a year and a half until the baby girl finishes Law School. Sure she got a merit scholarship, but who do you think pays for the apartment, clothes, etc? And before you take a shot at 'more lawyers' in the Novo family, both her Grandpa -- still sitting as a Judge and still orney at 89 -- and her dad said to her when she graduated from college and was offered a teaching fellowship in the humanities, don't do it, three generations of lawyers in the family is too much. Of course, why would she listen to me?)

dave thompson
01-01-2005, 09:33 PM
. . . else besides JohnS who has a normal car please chime in here to alleviate my depression? :(

BBDave . . . still driving his 9 year old Passport, which must last 6 more years till BBGeneva exits college.
BBD: My 5 year-old Volvo S70 has 58k miles. I'm getting ready to scrap it when it reaches 350k.

BumbleBeeDave
01-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I feel better now! ;)

BBD

vaxn8r
01-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Dave, Honda S2000 for me.....actually Honda Odyssey. It's perfect really. I can fit my tandem inside with wheels on, 3 road bikes with front wheels off. Racks are OK but I love that I can transport inside, away from the elements and stray gravel etc which can destroy paint.

It's also good camo against the Troopers. Vans look slow...even when maybe they aren't...

I'd like something sexy...but I don't need that. It's fun to want or wish for some things that you could get but then you exercise restraint. Good for ya. And I'm happy with a "tool" vehicle which makes my other hobby easier.

vaxn8r
01-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok, get this, I'm at gasman's house the other day and his wife tells me she had picked out a new BMW 5 series for his 50th birthday. So she tells him before laying out the cash. Here's the kicker...he says NO. He'd rather get a Calfee.

The man has his priorities straight!

Climb01742
01-02-2005, 05:45 AM
this is a thread about fantasies, i think. i drive a wagon. i dream, long and often...ok, constantly...of other cars but...hey, dnovo...how is the RX as a bike carrier?...can you carry one standing up or do you have to lay it down...it looks like the back might be a little tight...the vehicle that looks like the perfect practical bike carrier is the honda element...i saw a guy at a shop who had 3 bikes (front wheels off) standing up in his!...while at the other end of the spectrum...i saw in a car mag last night that range rover is dropping a 390 hp engine into its big boy...as keith jackson would say...whoa nelly! ;)

Kevin
01-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Climb,

My wife has the 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE. Even with the middle seats up so that it can seat 4, it holds 4 bikes standing up (front wheels removed). It has a great ride and the usual toys, v6, leather, nav, dvd entertainment, etc. If you are looking for today's version of a station wagon, it is a great choice.

A buddy of mine has the Honda Element. It is a great utility vehicle. But the ride is harsh. I would not want to drive more than about 30 miles in it.

Kevin

Climb01742
01-02-2005, 06:43 AM
kevin, you've touched on the issue that my dopey male ego wrestles with...i know a minivan makes the most sense...it's just can i do it? silly, i know...but that's what i wrestle with... :crap:

madbiker
01-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee ltd. But oh, a new vette would be sooo nice. Maybe if I win the powerball lottery....

Ozz
01-02-2005, 07:55 AM

1996 Acura TL - paid for and only has 50,000 miles...just can't find an excuse to get rid of it.

My wife gets the 2003 Honda Pilot....

Pretty normal and boring I think....

PS - madbiker...had a 2000 Jeep GC Ltd before the Honda...fun car but I hope you have a newer model where they fixed the problem with the front disc rotors warping...I must have had mine resurfaced 3 times and eventually replaced (Jeep service bulletin) in three years....

dnovo
01-02-2005, 08:04 AM
The RX is the ideal trade-off between hauler and car. The SportTrac would allow us to get our tandem trike in the rear (with the front end hanging off on a small ramp) would haul four people, but rode like a truck and used gas like one. The RX will haul a pair of bikes inside with the rear seat down, rides like a car (it is built on a car chassis) is superbly built like all Lexus (Lexi?) and gets reasonable mileage. Take a SportTrac or the like on a long trip and you arrive tired and suck a lot of gas to get there. Everything in back is exposed to the elements. The Lexus is a more practical and comfortable ride.

And the Catherham is a blast.

But, best 'bang for the buck?' My son, who lives just north of downtown Chicago and works in the heart of the city has a Mini Cooper S. The description of most testers is 'the most fun you can have sitting down.' (I would dispute that after a particular night in Thailand in 1969 on R&R, but that is not for a G-rated forum.) I drove it and agree, fast enough, handles like a slot car, well built, and a bargain to buy or operate. No room for bikes unless you lay down the passanger seat and haul one with you.

Later. Dave N.

dirtdigger88
01-02-2005, 08:09 AM

Dave- I have an 04 F150 and my wife drives an Envoy- that is about as normal as you can get- Sadly I think we are going the mini van route very soon :crap:

jason

BumbleBeeDave
01-02-2005, 09:57 AM
. . . and Ozz!

All this talk of ‘Vettes, Porsches, and other boy racers cars was getting to me. Of course I could just go to another thread, but it’s like watching a train wreck--you know it’s a tragedy, but you just can’t look away! ;)

I‘d love to get an Audi Avant, but it’s just not gonna happen. I get to ride in my friend Jeff’s A4 Quattro Avant occasionally, though. It has room for bikes, he keeps it spotless, has it chipped out, and it rides like a jet fighter.

BBDave

M_A_Martin
01-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Here ya go Dave: 1999 Ford Ranger with 150,000 miles on it and counting. If it makes it past 175,000 in decent shape, I'll take it to 300,000 like I did my last truck. (I don't drive cars for X years, I drive them for X miles, the years take care of themselves.) Mostly because where I like the racer boy toys...I don't buy into the disposable car idea and many of them aren't made the way any car used to be made.

Feel better?

I am starting to look for a replacement, as I'm not sold on the automatic trans in my truck...so I was looking at the VW R32...I just don't want my bikes to ride outside or on top so I'll probably wind up with some sort of fuel efficient hybrid or utilitarian vehicle...

Ever sensible

Ginger

P.S. Dnovo, you obviously need to adopt a daughter. It would be a hardship to leave my family, but I would volunteer for the position! ;)

dnovo
01-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Ginger: Trust me, you would not want me as a parent. My kids tolerate me, because they have to. It's my wife that is the real saint, she doesn't have to keep me around, but does. Dave N.

CarlosContreros
01-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Ginger!
I currently own an '02 GTI(1.8ltr. turbo) which produced 180HP
stock!
GREAT car!...but the R32 is an even better car!! AWD, 240HP stock!
huge awesome brakes! and the aftermarket is "unlimted".
Ya know there's an HPA aftermarket kit (engine, suspension, etc.) that
will make an R32 capable of producing close to 500HP!! and a car capable
of Ferrari Enzo performance!!
All this and a very practical car as well.
I don't know where you're looking but there aren't many left!
PM me if you'de like and I can direct you a bit.

And if you can wait until the end of this year....the Golf V will hit the
states with a new body style....a GREAT new GTI!....and an R32 with
stock "twin-turbos" producing 300HP.
It's the same 3.2ltr. in the R32 now....but with the turbos!
I love my GTI.....so much so I might even eschew the C6 and get a
MKV GTI or R32 in the fall.
I like waiting anyway...not into "instant gratification"