PDA

View Full Version : Assos Fugujack

nahtnoj
05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Anyone have one?

They are 1/2 price at Competitive Cyclist. I'd never buy one at retail, but it is tempting for $300.

Will it change my life? Or just a marginal improvement over my Mountain Hardware Gore Tex fleece, which is the current choice for temps below 30?

happycampyer
05-14-2009, 10:52 AM
For me, I havent't found anything else that works as well down into the '20's (teens with windchill). Some more info here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=55299&page=1&pp=15&highlight=fuguJack

Pete Serotta
05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Except for the MSRP of 600 the two folks I know who live in North East like them and say they work.

Climb01742
05-14-2009, 11:15 AM
THE best winter jacket ever. nothing else even close.

rwsaunders
05-14-2009, 11:15 AM
I've always heard good things about that particular jacket, but they're beyond my means. If you buy it, maybe you will have some pull and can get them to bring back the old chamois cream? :cool:

Scrafford
05-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I bought one for $320.00. I love it. I ride at night in the winter and stay warm down to freezing. The built in hood is great. I can also use the jacket with just a base layer with temperatures in the forties. Go ahead and buy it. :beer:

wgp
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Climb01742 took the words out of my mouth:
"THE best winter jacket ever. nothing else even close."

I bought one at CBike's sale last December (c. $340 shipped) and absolutely LOVE it. Get one!

Andreas
05-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I live 2 hours north of Boston and ride throughout the winter.
Fugu jacket is too warm.

Really, it is limited by it's warmness. Works fine for -10 to 5F, but if it is warmer it too much.

znfdl
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
:crap: why do they always sell out the large jackets

Charles M
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I found that a Gore windstopper shell and a reasonable underlayer work as well.

Fugu are really nice, but when two products together allow even more flexibility in climate yet cost 1/3 the price...

That said, I like mine.

paczki
05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I live in Boston and I don't find the Fugujack too warm under 45 degrees or so.

soggybiker
05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
My absolute favourite cool/cold weather cycling jacket is an Outdoor Research Marvel Windshirt. It's basically an ultralight windshell bonded to an ultralight, ultrathin fleece. Blocks all wind, with just enough warmth to keep you comfortable while you're moving.

It's not cycling specific, so no rear pockets, but it's worth its weight in gold. It's my favourite all around backcountry skiing jacket as well. I bought mine after reading Kent Petersen's review (http://www.ultracycling.com/equipment/foul_weather_gear.html) of the very similar Marmot version of the same jacket. One nice thing about the OR version is that it has velcro at the cuffs instead of elastic, depending on what you prefer.

Floyd Dakil
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I bought the Fugujack last winter and was amazed at how such a light garment could keep my torso so warm in brutal weather. I was comfortable in 30-degree temperatures and 20 mph headwinds (it doesn't get much colder where I live--Austin). As noted above, it's a great jacket to wear up to about 45 degrees. If you cycle a lot in cold weather, it's a wonderful garment. And it's a steal at $300.

My only problem with it personally is that 30-degree mornings in Austin don't stay that cold for very long. So on a ride of 3-1/2 hours, the jacket can feel a bit warm towards the finish. But I just unzip the shell and part of the liner and let the air hit my Underarmour t-shirt.

oldguy00
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
How is the sizing on them? Do you need to size up like some of the other assos clothes compared to other brands??

Charles M
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
It is sized as other Assos gear is... The jacked should fit the same as their jerseys would...

Floyd Dakil
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm 5'8" and weigh 145. My chest is 38-40. I have a medium, and it's a perfect fit.

Climb01742
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
i'd be curious if...our internal temps color how we see the jacket? i run "cold" and in winter i need/like to be warm. so for me, the jacket is ideal. i wonder if those who find it too warm...run "warm" internally? just a thought.

i can ride when it's zero and wicked windy in my fugujacket. without it i'd be basement-bound in new england.

gdw
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Metabolism, acclimatization, and mental toughness play a big role in how people react to cold weather and effect their gear choices. People who spend most of their time inside tend to be less comfortable in colder weather.

Floyd Dakil
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
People who can ride indoors for 90 minutes at a time are mentally tough.

Climb01742
05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
People who can ride inside for 90 minutes at a time are mentally tough.

tougher than me! :p inside, i bail after 60 whimpering minutes.

gdw
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
and save a lot of cash on winter cycling gear. :banana:

ahumblecycler
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Assos sizing doesn't work for me so I had to send mine back. It was very comfortable and well constructed.

In its place I got the Castelli radiation and I love it. The sizing is superb, and the functionality is like no other. I got it discounted, but it still cost a pretty penny. Having said that, I can use the full set up (1), remove the liner (2), remove the hood (3) and remove the sleeves (4). In sum, I feel I got a good multiple purpose piece of equipment.

I also have a GBW shell and craft baselayer that is good to 40 or so.

Bob Ross
05-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Fugu jacket is too warm.

Really, it is limited by it's warmness. Works fine for -10 to 5F, but if it is warmer it too much.

This was my concern, and 'twas born out when the missus bought me an Assos Airjack 851 (ostensibly one step down from the FuguJack in terms of features and warmthification) for my birthday last year. I love the AirJack, it's mind boggling how warm something so light can be...but I'll wear that with just a lightweight base layer in ~20degree F weather and wind up sweating after 3 or 4 hours. I can't imagine using a Fugu on all but the most hellacious deep winter rides.

tylercheung
05-14-2009, 09:09 PM
get a Nau jacket - much more stylish!

happycampyer
05-14-2009, 09:11 PM
i'd be curious if...our internal temps color how we see the jacket? i run "cold" and in winter i need/like to be warm. so for me, the jacket is ideal. i wonder if those who find it too warm...run "warm" internally? just a thought.

i can ride when it's zero and wicked windy in my fugujacket. without it i'd be basement-bound in new england.That's exactly how I am—my "internal temp" runs cold in the winter. I can stand to wear the 851 jacket when it's in the high 30's, but any lower than that I need the extra warmth of the fuguJack. It may also be a function of age. When I was younger, I was less sensitive to cold temperatures when cycling, skiing, etc.

I got the Castelli radiation jacket on bonktown for $236, which was a great price for a great jacket. I find that, in terms of warmth and wind protection, it falls between the 851 and the fuguJack. It is also quite versatile (the radiation liner and the sleeves are removeable, so it can be worn in a wide range of temps). The front zip vents are a nice touch, too.

Nil Else
05-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Get it. It's impressive stuff. I paid more than 200 over that price (best price at the time) :crap: and I still appreciate it... aaaaarg... What's the deal with some of these Assos prices... especially the fugu?

bostondrunk
05-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Nice deal on the Assos vests too, $129.

Floyd Dakil
05-15-2009, 08:27 AM
The side pockets are one of the best features of the vest, making it easy to reach for food in a bike race.

jt2gt
05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
The deals at CC are by far the best I have seen on Assos winter stuff...better than some used stuff goes for on the bay.

Vest, Fugu, 851 Jacket, Element 1.....those deals are amazing for new stuff.

Surprised there is so much left.

BTW...if anyone is looking for a Red Fugu (M), I may sell mine for better than CC price. Great for the serious cold, I just didn't get out that much in it.

JT

majl
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I just received from CC the first pieces of Assos gear I have ever purchased. Ended up passing on the Fugu jacket and opted instead for the 851 based on the 32-degree criteria set forth in CC's product descriptions. Let's face it - I'm not as hardcore as some of you - if it's below freezing, which usually only occurs for us Bay Area folk when we're someplace else (like Truckee), then I'm schussin' down the slopes.

I wasn't crazy about getting the jacket in yellow but it was the only color left in my size (L). After trying it on last night, I must admit, this is a fine piece of outerwear. The finish and fit are just impeccable. I recently picked up a Castelli Volo jacket from bonktown, and while the 851 ended up being 2.5x the cost (even on sale), it fits and feels so much better on me. With that said, the Volo will be going back. I'm surprised at how light the 851 is, and given that spring is upon us, probably won't have a chance to test its warmth until next winter. I have to add though, with the form fitting nature of the jacket and the fairly large collar, after seeing myself in the mirror, I couldn't help but think of Michael Jackson back in the 80s doing Beat It! :p

I also received an Intermediate Evo jersey which is strikingly light. I have a hard time believing this thing will provide much warmth but I should be able to test it out in fairly short order on an early morning ride.

dookie
05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
what exactly is size 'tir'?

right...really big, the top end. but what's the acronym / abbreviation?

ahumblecycler
05-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I actually returned a Large yellow ... I wonder if that one person is getting it. The fit was bad when cycling (for me). The bottoms would creep up, and I looked like I had an inner tube around my waist. The medium would have been too short in the sleeves and too tight in the shoulders. I have nothing but great things to say about the pockets and quality and zipper/collar area.

The Castelli medium is absolutely perfect for me.

Bob Ross
05-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I have to add though, with the form fitting nature of the jacket and the fairly large collar, after seeing myself in the mirror, I couldn't help but think of Michael Jackson back in the 80s doing Beat It!

I showed up for a group ride in February wearing my red AirJack, only to discover three other cyclists wearing identical red AirJacks! We looked like an away-team from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Nil Else
05-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I showed up for a group ride in February wearing my red AirJack, only to discover three other cyclists wearing identical red AirJacks! We looked like an away-team from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I suppose if you are a trekkie it would serve as a double purpose jacket :p

Btw I have a red one too...

majl
05-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Nice! As I mentioned, My first thought when I saw myself in the mirror was the King of Pop. However, when I walked into the bedroom and modeled the jacket for wife, she said, "You look like that character on Star Trek with the pointy ears!"

raygunner
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM
That's kinda why I like Rapha stuff.

Everytime I rock my Assos gear I feel like I'm an extra in "Tron".

nahtnoj
05-18-2009, 08:36 AM
what exactly is size 'tir'?

right...really big, the top end. but what's the acronym / abbreviation?

No idea, it is the size I usually wear though.

bostondrunk
05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Nice deal on the Assos vests too, $129.

Got my vest from them a week ago, fast service, and really nice vest!
Make sure you size up with this stuff. 5'10, 175, and an XL vest fits snug.
Cheers