PDA

View Full Version : Set Back Seatpost recommendations...

SoCalSteve
12-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

So, I've been changing all my bike saddles over to Brooks. I have been having a bit of a problem fionding the right seatposts for my "shorter" top tube bikes.

Any suggestions on strong setback seatposts that will accomadate Brooks saddles nicely?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

PS: Happy New Years to you all

Ahneida Ride
12-29-2004, 05:51 PM
So CaL

I'm running a Thompson Setback Post. Not the best in the looks
department, but the Thompson sure is strong and provides a tenatious
two bolt grip on the saddle.

dbrk
12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
There is a post made by CLB available from wallbike.com that will get you further back and there is, of course, the lovely thing from Moots (be sure to buy the tool to install it!).

The reason the rails are so short on Brooks saddles is beacuse seat tube angles were once much slacker. There was a prototype of a longer railed saddle but it never came to fruition, though not for lack of asking and asking.

dbrk

ols
12-29-2004, 06:44 PM
The Moots layback post (Ti color) has a very nice curve to it and 19mm of setback in the 27.2 size. Some hardtail mountainbike riders think the curve gives a little suspension-like flex too and smooths out the ride some. (not sure about that, but maybe..) In any event, getting the saddle mounted can be fiddly due to the Moots clamp design, but I read a trick on mtbr.com's reviews section for how to mount the saddle on a Moots post so you dont need snap ring pliers (aka, the special tool noted above).
All you have to do is take the clamp bolts out entirely, put a penny in between the clamp and screw one of the bolts back in from the other side (starting at the side with the threads.) Once the bolt hits the penny, it will spread the clamp easily so you can fit your saddle. Then you back the bolt out completely and screw both bolts in from the usual side. I got the Moots post recently and this worked like a charm.

93legendti
12-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Easton EC-70 carbon post. I have them on 3 of my bikes.

Climb01742
12-29-2004, 07:48 PM
the shimano DA post also has a good amount of setback and seems just about bullet-proof.

Smiley
12-29-2004, 07:56 PM
So Cal , call Albert Bold and get him to sell you his wonderful Ti off-set post . Very worthy of your cool factor www.boldprecision.com , I have one for my Swallow as well a client of mine has one for her Brooks Finesse saddle .

Ahneida Ride
12-29-2004, 08:12 PM
So Cal , call Albert Bold and get him to sell you his wonderful Ti off-set post . Very worthy of your cool factor www.boldprecision.com , I have one for my Swallow as well a client of mine has one for her Brooks Finesse saddle .

Capt,

There used to be a disclaimer on Albert Bold's site that his parts were
for racing only and not everyday use.

I wonder if this admonition is still in effect ?

Kevin
12-29-2004, 08:52 PM
I like the Campy post.

Kevin

Smiley
12-29-2004, 09:01 PM
I worked it out with Albert to make sure he know what needs to happen to make his posts work for a Brooks ( High Skirt and need for off-set ).

Matt Barkley
12-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Said before but.... PMP makes a great Ti with extra set-back. :) - Matt

weisan
12-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Said before but.... PMP makes a great Ti with extra set-back. :) - Matt

Matt, I remembered you mentioned this before. The buddy I rode with last Saturday said he needed more setback than he already had and immediately I thought about the PMP seatpost you were talking about. I don't seem to be able to locate the correct seatpost for him. Can you attach a direct link, please?

Thanks!

Matt Barkley
12-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Weisan, Yep - they are hard to find - We have had a few in the past - I know a guy who imports a small amount of PMP who may have one left (last time I talked to him.) If you have your friend email or call me I can give him the contact #. If you search PMP.it or something like that (my computer skills are lacking) I think that may put you in the right direction. Hope this helps! :beer: - Matt

davep
12-31-2004, 10:52 AM
is their site. Unfortunately, the domain name expired on 12/23/2004 and is pending renewal or deletion.

keno
12-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Matt helped me out with a used PMP, which is a very nice piece of equipment in ti and on my Spectrum.

You might want to look at the Selcof, which has rad setback possibilities. repartocorse.com and Peter While carry them. Peter carries only black; I think repartocorse carries silver, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I've got an Easton EC70 for the Concours, which has strong setback, as does the EA70, first being carbon post and metal head, and the latter being aluminum. Lots of them on ebay at good prices.

keno

Bradford
12-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I have an Easton EC70 I pulled off my new Legend ST you can have if you are interested. I'll give it to you for what I paid for the Thomson I bought off Ebay, which wasn't all that much.

:banana:

Kane
01-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Cheapskates: American Classic: about $35
Function: Salsa has the best design
Weight & Strength: Thomson

I ride a Dura Ace, American Classic and a Easton Carbon. The new Easton is very nice.

Cheers,

Kane

djg
01-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Tons of setback (and tons of fore/aft adjustability, for that matter).

weisan
01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
djg, you can say that again. I just got a LOOK bike that comes with the ergo post. I had it all the way to the front 'cos I am not a setback kinda guy. :D

BillyBear
01-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I feel your pain...changed out my original Thompson with a Thompson setback when I went with the Brooks Swift saddle on my CSI... Found I was still too far forward, Next I tried the Selcof bi-position. Loved the setback but couldn't get the nose of the saddle down to level :crap: . Finally went with the FSA KForce. Happy so far. setback is perfect and tilt is very adjustable. :banana:

dts
01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
I thought the titanium Chorus post was the nicest one out there. Simple, elegant, very light and a good clamp. Bought a second one a little over a year ago just as Chorus was about to go carbon. Anyone know if the ti post dropped farther down the Campy line or went off the market? And why?

the walrus
01-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Solution: get rid of the Brooks. It makes your bike look stupid. :beer: