PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used this new Silca head?

caleb
05-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I love everything about my Silca pump except for the head. It seems like it's always either impossible to get on and off (with a new washer), or leaking (with an old washer). The newer heads that "lock" on are so much better that I've been thinking about trying to attach a Park or similar head to my Silca pump.

Today I ran across this new Silca head at Excel (http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Presta+Head+with+Locking+Device+40%2E0&vendorCode=SILCA&major=3&minor=9) :

http://www.excelsports.com/image/Silca%20Presta%20Head%20with%20Locking%20Device%20 40.0.jpg

Has anyone used it yet? Is it as good as other "locking" heads?

dannyg1
05-13-2009, 07:17 PM
That's a bargain price. I don't have a Silca pump to put it on (unless it fit the frame mounted ones); otherwise, I'd buy it just to see.

maunahaole
05-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I would not be surprised if it fit other pump hoses. I have a silca chuck on my zefal, works fine.

Auk
05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I do, and it is amazing. Using it on my Craftsman cordless inflator and as a retrofit to my Silca Pista. Love it, love it, love it.

MarcusPless
05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
It seems like it's always either impossible to get on and off (with a new washer), or leaking (with an old washer).

Do you put a drop of vegetable or olive oil on the gasket every now and then? A drop of olive oil on the gasket every few weeks takes care of the problem you're describing (at least it does for me).

Louis
05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Do you put a drop of vegetable or olive oil on the gasket every now and then? A drop of olive oil on the gasket every few weeks takes care of the problem you're describing (at least it does for me).

I'll have to try that. I've retired my Silca for exactly the reason described above. Either too tight (and you eventually end up causing a leak in the tube at the valve stem) or too loose.

Wouldn't you still need to get the diameter of the rubber washer just right, even though you are lubing it a bit to reduce the friction? Just a bit more wear in the gasket and you're still done.

IMO having a chuck with the capability to clamp on harder once in place is a much better design than the original Silca chuck, even though it is one heck of a nice hunk of metal.

L

totally_fixxate
05-14-2009, 01:16 AM
That's a bargain price.

average.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/psnlph/BestWebBuys.com/pp.htm

Hirame.
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/images/pumphdA.jpg

alancw3
05-14-2009, 07:06 AM
i inquired about the 40.0 on another forum awhile back and the only negative was that one or two people stated that the head leaked where the brass pipe screws into the head body. that caused me not to buy one. the hiram is the cadillac of heads but at $50 a little too expensive for me.

just out of curiosity, do you use threaded or smooth stemed inner tubes? from what i gather the original silca head works best with smooth stemed tubes like on michelin.

thanks to the other poster for the tip on the olive oil. i'll give it a try!

bobscott
05-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I have used one for about 6 months. Returned one that leaked at the tube head junction and received a second that did the same. Gave it a bit of teflon tape and a good tightening using an old tube and some pliers and it has been fine. Needed a little beeswax to keep the head gasket at the right tightness too.
It works fine now and I am happy with it.
bobscott

caleb
05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
How does one go about applying beeswax or olive oil to the gasket? Do you need to disassemble the head?

caleb
05-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Hirame.

That Hirame looks beautiful. EuroAsia lists them on their site, so I might have to see what my LBS can do.

MarcusPless
05-14-2009, 09:52 AM
How does one go about applying beeswax or olive oil to the gasket? Do you need to disassemble the head?

I put a drop or two of olive oil on a Q-Tip and then swab it on the hole in the rubber gasket; no disassembly required. If I don't have a Q-Tip handy I'll tear off a corner of a paper towel, put some oil on that, and stuff that into the hole in the gasket. All you want to do is lube the part of the gasket that needs to slide on the valve stem.

Also, don't slide the pump head on too far. I've seen people get pump heads stuck on the valve stem because A), it wasn't lubed, and B), they pushed it on too far. I only slide the head on until the gasket is sitting in the ridge, maybe 1/8" from the end of the stem.

The Tufo tubulars on my girlfriend's track bike do seem to have slightly different valve stems than what I usually see and it's quite easy to slide a Silca head on too far (and get it stuck :crap: ).

giordana93
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
re: silca head, the most important thing of course is to try and score presta valves that have no threads. the gasket will fit better and last longer. and you don't screw the cap on the chuck too tightly at first, since that compresses the gasket. $50 for the hirame is a good price if you can find it. don't know about gasket replacement though for that unit.

mister
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
the valve stems on my sprinters act like they are made for the regular silca head.
slides on easy, doesn't leak, just a light pull after i get the pressure i want and the pump head almost pops itself off.

the head doesn't like the threaded stems though. gotta be careful not to put the head on too far. i just barely slide it on and if it leaks then slide it on just a bit further. a little twist when pulling off and it's ok.

this head in the OP looks very convenient though.

bobscott
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Sorry for the lack of clarity.
The "face" of the head tightens and loosens to change how tightly the rubber gasket grips the valve. The face has loose threads and does not hold its adjustmment. The beeswax "tightens up" the threads and holds the adjustment.
bobscott

totally_fixxate
05-14-2009, 04:50 PM
The beeswax "tightens up" the threads and holds the adjustment.

Teflon tape.