PDA

View Full Version : Best Riding Road Bike

I Want Sachs?
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
What is your best riding road bike?

I know people drool over how beautiful the lugs, the carbon weave, the TIG lumps, the fillet braze look on their bikes. But when it comes to the feel of the ride, some of the "Best of NAHMBS" might not ride as nice as the next. So which builder "nailed" it for you?

dancinkozmo
05-13-2009, 06:54 PM
not even close....my mariposa. mike and tom hit nothing but net !!

RBaker2778
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
The best riding bike I have ever ridden is my custom Kent Eriksen. I am a sprinters build, and Kent nailed it with the 1 inch chain stays, 1.5 inch TT, and 1.625 inch DT. It rides exactly how I wanted it to, and I have yet to ride anything that is as good for me, or better

dannyg1
05-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Most fun: Rigi
Most Precise: Kellogg
Best fit: Badger roadie
Best all arounder: Morati SC
Best cheapie: '86 Allez SE
Ridden most: Metax Italian frame (Probably a DeBernardi)

Walter
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
There is no "the" best riding road bike. Some frame materials may be better than others in the comfort department, but it all depends on what you build (tube shape, size, wall thickness, etc.), geometry, and whether it fits....

Steve in SLO
05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
My Anvil Chisel, custom made for somebody else, just disappears sometmes.

ndoshi72c
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
It seems like "best riding" encompasses a lot of things: timing, mood, fitness, attitude, luck, components, along with the bike itself

That being said...

My Seven Elium Steel

Comfort bordering on plush. Racy geo that puts me in just the "right" position both in the hoods and drops.

CNY rider
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
not even close....my mariposa. mike and tom hit nothing but net !!

My Mariposa with 5 pounds in the front bag is truly exceptional in terms of handling and ride quality. It really seems to have been designed to have some weight in the front bag.
My Legend is the most fun to ride in a general sense and I am faster on the Legend than on the Mariposa because of the significant weight difference (or at least that's how it feels).

joelh
05-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I have an 853 schwinn peloton that isn't much to look at but man is it smooth! Only downside, the 1 inch carborn fork has some give under heavy braking that was a bit disconcerting when I first rode it. That bike is my everyday/long distance bike because it is so comfortable.

cadence90
05-13-2009, 08:38 PM
This bike, hands down.
It's perfect.

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:WMELMISRpa1zzM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Arrow_southwest.svg/600px-Arrow_southwest.svg.png

dookie
05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
There is no "the" best riding road bike...

which is why he's asking about 'yours'. no 'the' in atmo, eh?

mine is a custom moots that was built for someone else, but happens to fit me very well. followed closely by an older scapin that is a touch big, but is the nicest steel bike i've ever ridden.

saab2000
05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Tough call between my Look 381 and my Serotta CIII. Both have smooth rides but you feel what you are riding on. But not in a fatiguing or jarring way. Positive feel, but not harsh.

381 is carbon with some aluminum lugs.
CIII is welded steel with a carbon fork.

Jack Brunk
05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Pegoretti Love #3
Pegoretti Big Leg Emma
Kirk JKS
Vanilla Workshop Speedvagen
Giant TCR Advanced SL Ltd

No one in order. Which ever one I'm on at the time. All are world class bikes.

gasman
05-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Pegoretti Love #3
Pegoretti Big Leg Emma
Kirk JKS
Vanilla Workshop Speedvagen
Giant TCR Advanced SL Ltd
No one in order. Which ever one I'm on at the time. All are world class bikes.

This speaks volumes from a man who has ridden more bikes than most of us will ever dream about.

Well I do dream. Most of us do.

sharkboyrob
05-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Riding impressions were reinforced by an unscientific test I did recently. Took my Serotta Legend out one day for a long ride. Had a nice ride, the Legend felt good. Next day, took out my Sachs. Similar dimensions, same set-up with Campy Record 10, same contact points, e.g., Regal ti, Deda wrap, Time pedals, I even put on the same Shamals at the same tire pressure. Rode the same course. The Sachs felt better -- smoother on the flats, stiffer when sprinting uphill out of the saddle. By the way, even though I thought I should feel tired from the ride the day before and was riding the "heavier" steel Sachs, I rode faster the entire day!

false_Aest
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM
My dad can beat up your dad.

velosport
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Road Bikes I've owned:
Concorde SLX
Colnago Bititan
Davidson
Giant ONCE frame
Landshark x4
Orbea Orca
Scott Addict
Eddy Merckx SLX
Moots Compact
Look 585
Serotta Ottrott
Raleigh Team
Look 381
Klein Q Pro

Best bike. Colnago Extreme Power with Super Record. Perfect.

Bikes I'm on the list. Vanilla Speedvagen, Zank

sevencyclist
05-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Sachs is buttery smooth. He nailed it for me.

abqhudson
05-14-2009, 05:04 AM
My best riding bike to date (In addition, I've owned 2 ea Seven Ti, a Cannondale Al, a Colnago steel, a Crumpton carbon, a Raleigh Al, and a Kish Ti) is my Serotta Concours with double butted Ti. The very best for me. YMMV.

keno
05-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Look 565 Origin.

keno

FMS_rider
05-14-2009, 06:48 AM
My custom Legend SE --I love its ride qualities and it makes me smile every time I look at it. My S&S-coupled Seven Alaris that is a geometrical clone of my Legend, has had to come to terms with sitting in the garage except during travel and rain (it is naked Ti). However it has surprisingly good ride qualities for straight gauge Ti --I recently spent a month with it in Spain, including Girona and Mallorca, followed by 2 weeks in the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY. I have not used my steel bikes since I bought the Legend --my blue and yellow Lemond Zurich that I used to love when the body was younger is now a frame-only objet d'art that I will never part with.

Lew

Elefantino
05-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Concours OS now.
DeBernardi SLX then.
Raleigh International before then.

sam.g
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Hors Cat with a Brooks Swallow, butt heaven!

Sam in Cincy

Floyd Dakil
05-14-2009, 02:24 PM
My Serotta Attack.

Pete Serotta
05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
:) Bedford Goodrich Kirk Sachs Serotta (ti, ottrott, CDA) etc etc etc....

In alphabetical order for I love the bike I am with.... :bike: :)

yes and the "red" I am drinking that SamIam recommended!! :beer:

Kevan
05-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I need a bike that matches my many facets of riding personality. That's why I have three. LOL!

There is no single perfect bike.

Dekonick
05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
The one that fits :beer:

even better with DKS :banana: :beer: :banana:

Innominatus
05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I'll take a stab at suggesting an objective cause (or correlation, at least) behind these subjective ride qualities:

My best _riding_ bikes invariably seem to have been those that started with race position (low, balanced, evenly distributed between the wheels) but with the wheelbase stretched out a little. These bikes tend to have front centers just a touch longer than typical (0.5 cm or so) and chainstays a mite longer, too (41.5 to 42.5 cm, say). The resulting HT and ST angles are usually a little slacker as a result.

These aren't necessarily the best _handling_ bikes, or the best overall blend of comfort + handling, but almost always the best riding.

Anybody else find this to be _generally_ true?

martinrjensen
05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
I have a Madone 5.2 that is probably the best ride followed very closely by my 00 Serotta CSI. It's really hard to say as those are so close but the edge goes to the Madone. After those 2 it's my 78 Trek. The 78 Trek is running tubulars and I attribute the ride quality to that mostly. My (new to me) Merckx is a stiff ride but it's pretty new so the jury is still out on that one. I don't see how it's gonna best the Madone or the Serotta though....

fixednwinter
05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Best fit & ride, fenders and 28-35mm tires: my custom Hampsten Strada Bianca

Best fit & ride, fenders and 25-28mm tires: my custom Hampsten Classic 953

Best ride on a stock racing bike: Merckx MX Leader

Floyd Dakil
05-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Best bike. Colnago Extreme Power with Super Record. Perfect.

Yeah, but what color?

Ray
05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
For me, its my first custom Spectrum, which I gush about all the time. Head and shoulders above anything else I've ridden, including my second custom Spectrum. Combination of ride/comfort/handling is just sublime. I guess "transparent" or "it disappears" are about the best descriptions of it. I like it so much I may even sell my second one and try to duplicate the first one with a bit more clearance for fenders, a few more gears, and S&S couplers for taking it wid' me.

Perfect bike for me.

-Ray

tv_vt
05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Either my Look 481sl or Merckx Ti AX. The Look is a bike that makes me actually think "wow!" every now and then as I'm riding along. The Merckx is not flashy at all, but I can ride 100s of miles on it with little fatigue. Just goes.

T

dd74
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Forever years it's been my Colnago Super. But now I have this Paramount Ti, and well...

mister
05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
For me, its my first custom Spectrum, which I gush about all the time. Head and shoulders above anything else I've ridden, including my second custom Spectrum. Combination of ride/comfort/handling is just sublime. I guess "transparent" or "it disappears" are about the best descriptions of it. I like it so much I may even sell my second one and try to duplicate the first one with a bit more clearance for fenders, a few more gears, and S&S couplers for taking it wid' me.

Perfect bike for me.

-Ray

Ray what are the differences in the two spectrum you currently have?

znfdl
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Go fast ride, my Spectrum Super Ti

Go fast commute, Vanilla

Go fast fixed gear, Spectrum

Survive the rain, Lemond Propad with fenders

Joel
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
The two best that I've ever owned I still have.

2001 Legend Ti - Custom - it exceeded and continues to exceed all expectations. No matter what's asked of it, it responds. Short fast or 100 miler.

1980 Team Raleigh - A generation older and the same characteristics. Has had the @#$& raced out of it and it is still a joy to ride.

Both get :D :D :D everytime they are ridden. And that's what counts for this camper.

Joel

Ray
05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Ray what are the differences in the two spectrum you currently have?
The great one is just a pure road bike. I hesitate to say a racer because you have to take the rider into account. Tom looked at me on the bike, we talked about the various bikes I'd owned and ridden a lot and I told him what I liked and didn't like about each one and what I'd like the new one to ride like. At least to the extent I could explain it. And he nailed it.

The next one was supposed to be more of a rando / sport touring bike. More relaxed for longer distances. Tom executed it perfectly and there's nothing wrong with it. But I've just never really bonded with it. It doesn't disappear - I spend too much time thinking about the bike when I'm riding it. And, for some reason, I've never been as comfortable on it as on the other, whether the position is identical or if I try to change it a bit. I can't explain it - certainly nothing wrong with it. But I grab the first one almost every time and when I grab the second, its usually out of a sense of obligation. You know, "I spent a lot of money on this bike - I'm gonna ride it dammit".

I think for the kind of riding I do, something like a copy of the first one with clearance for fenders and with couplers would be just about perfect as a second bike.

-Ray

93LegendTG
05-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Titus Vuelo with a Serotta F2 fork.

scottcw2
05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Pegoretti Great Googoolee Moogoolee. The perfect ride.

Serotta Ottrott with Ti stays a close second.

velosport
05-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah, but what color?

The Super Record bike is Red of course with white ribbon effect.

I also have a second Extreme Power sloping with Chorus 11 that is all carbon with white decals. It's the all business race bike.

bnewt07
05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Parlee Z1 custom

The secret is a least in part in that it is the first bike fitted exactly how I wanted it. It also has a wonderful road feel though, an almost 'liquid' character that somehow is also tight and agile. Compared to my nice steel bike it has some of that sweetness but also can be diamond sharp when you want it.

It is like cycling in High Def every time you ride it. It feels as special at the end of a hard ride as at the beginning.

I also loved my Orange P3 steel hardtail MTB. It was like pulling on a favourite pair of old clothes, it became 'invisible' on the trail, just letting you get on with the joy of a good muddy lash. Someone nicked it years ago and although subsequent MTB's have been 'better' bikes none have been as satisfying in some ways.

Nil Else
05-15-2009, 02:31 AM
C50... No I've never ridden a custom bike that's built for me.

Hellhammer
05-15-2009, 07:13 AM
KVALE or CAPITAL. Both are like putting on your favorite clothes. I thank my stars every ride on either.

rockdude
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Nothing, I mean nothing is like my DKS Cross. Its smooth, comfortable and versatile. Fast enough for my road racing friends yet tough enough to hit the trails and back roads. Everytime I get on it, I fall in love again.

zap
05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
I guess my major criteria is how does the whole kit perform in a high speed bumpy corner. Some frames are too stiff and bounce off line while some that do fine in that bumpy corner are too soft when putting the hammer down elsewhere.

Of lesser note, I don't need to know how big that pebble was that I just went over. Just need to feel it. Carbon composite framsets are best in this regard.

If we are talking about comfort, position is key.

Your stem is too short, hbar too high, your saddle is too far forward and your tires need to be pumped up.

Mattbotak
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Here's my list of road bikes I've owned:

Claude Butler 531 (my first bike in the 80's)
Raleigh Team
Serotta CSi
Debernardi
Kelly Road
Colnago Dream cyclocross Rabobank (should never have sold this)
Colnago C50
Colnago Master Light (disappointing)
Pinarello Paris
Cervelo R3
Colnago Extreme Power (current love)

The Claude Butler was buttery smooth. The Cervelo R3 held the title for me for the most sublime ride but the Exterme Power takes the cake for all around feel - very little flex yet smooth. I was very tempted by Jack's BLE but it would have meant selling the EP to fund.....fortunately it was sold before I could change my mind. :)

tpendleton
09-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Kirk (custom made for another, but identical to my CSi)
CSi
Legend Ti

Wilkinson4
09-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Pure ride enjoyment is my Toei. Not built for me and a bit tall but with 650B tires at 50psi, nothing but bliss.

mIKE

martinrjensen
09-15-2010, 10:52 PM
It's definitely my Serotta. followed by my Corsa, and then my 753 Pro, but the bike I try to ride the most is the 753 Pro.
My Serotta has the lightest wheels and a carbon fork. The Corsa is made from SL tubing which is supposed to be flexy ad light but for me it's fine. The Pro should be the stiffest and maybe it is, but it's still a really nice riding bike and the one I go to first most of the time. Truthfully, all of them could do 100 miles no problem but if I were to do a century, I would probably go for the Serotta, or the Pro as my first pick. I try to change up rides as they all have cockpits set up pretty much the same now.

pdmtong
09-15-2010, 10:53 PM
2007 IF SSR or 2005 ottrott...both just a shade more comfy than my 2005 Z3c...but make no mistake...all of these deliver in spades across the evaluation spctrum

Jack Brunk
09-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Parlee Z3 with Lightweight wheels Zen like ride

Colnago C40 Mapei team frame Edge 45 front 68 rear tubular BABY!

GuyGadois
09-16-2010, 12:13 AM
My 1974 Bob Jackson is really comfortable but not so fast. I like it on days when I want to enjoy the scenery.

roguedog
09-16-2010, 12:29 AM
My Peg Palo Santo. It's a little big for me but still makes me smile every time I ride it.

But I have to say it's kinda wicked fun to ride my Riv Atlantis and not care what the road condition is cuz I know it can handle it.

Peter B
09-16-2010, 12:55 AM
custom steve rex rando bike
if planet cross
ibis silk ti
if ti delux ss rigid
custom steve potts ti fixed
custom desalvo 10ae fixed
legend ti
custom lewellyn
custom speedvagen
look 595

all ride best when i ride 'em. with a purpose.

I am grateful to own and really use all these fine bicycles. Bonus was making connections with all the good people who made for me or simply sold to me the perfect bikes. i feel fortunate too. own and ride these. long and.hard.

ultratoad
09-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Pegoretti-- just about any model, buit I'll go with the Marcelo. Dario has just flat figured out the ride and stability thing....

jblande
09-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Parlee Z2. It does everything perfectly that I am capable of.

fogrider
09-16-2010, 01:42 AM
its a close call to put them in order...any given day I may want to ride one over the others:
rock lobster scandium
serotta legend ti
rock lobster cx aluminum
kestrel 200 ems

rugbysecondrow
09-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Custom TIG Kelly Bedford...Just a great bike....enough said.

William
09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Zanconato......Mike Effin nailed it. :cool:

William

jeffreyt
09-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Best all around: Colnago C40

Most fun: Pereira Oregon Manifest

Best fit: Jonny Cycles single speed cx

srice
09-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Easy - my 2003 Richard Sachs
Followed by my Speedvagen

Johnnyg
09-16-2010, 07:55 AM
My Storck Fascinaro 0.9. Sorry after three Serottas it's just better for me.

William
09-16-2010, 08:02 AM
We'll see how the Winter goes.

William

bobswire
09-16-2010, 08:24 AM
That's a difficult question to give a positive answer.
At present it's a toss up between a CDA and Seven Axiom so I'll play it safe and say whichever one I'm riding that day.
Both exhibit the traits I like best in a frame,light, quick, nimble yet stable and comfortable that allow me to ride in complete confidence.

AndrewS
09-16-2010, 09:05 AM
My old Mass. made Merlin Extralight.

xeladragon
09-16-2010, 09:09 AM
well i've only ever had one road bike, my IF crown jewel, so that's the best imo... haha. i recently swapped out some alu clinchers for carbon clinchers, and the bike seems to ride over bumpy roads a lil smoother now... sweet!

SEABREEZE
09-16-2010, 09:34 AM
IF Crown Jewel Ti Tad more Plusher
Serrotta Legend Ti Tad more Performance

From this thread ,my short wish list, in no particular order
Sachs
Pegg
Kirk

Whats been on my mind was a Ottrott, but not many posting about them.

More folks talking about my short wish list..

Honorable mention
Serrotta Concours Smooth, Smooth , Smooth in all aspects

Ray
09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
The great one is just a pure road bike. I hesitate to say a racer because you have to take the rider into account. Tom looked at me on the bike, we talked about the various bikes I'd owned and ridden a lot and I told him what I liked and didn't like about each one and what I'd like the new one to ride like. At least to the extent I could explain it. And he nailed it.

The next one was supposed to be more of a rando / sport touring bike. More relaxed for longer distances. Tom executed it perfectly and there's nothing wrong with it. But I've just never really bonded with it. It doesn't disappear - I spend too much time thinking about the bike when I'm riding it. And, for some reason, I've never been as comfortable on it as on the other, whether the position is identical or if I try to change it a bit. I can't explain it - certainly nothing wrong with it. But I grab the first one almost every time and when I grab the second, its usually out of a sense of obligation. You know, "I spent a lot of money on this bike - I'm gonna ride it dammit".

I think for the kind of riding I do, something like a copy of the first one with clearance for fenders and with couplers would be just about perfect as a second bike.

-Ray
Seeing this thread pop up I scrolled back through to see if I'd already posted to make sure I didn't duplicate what I'd already said. Sure enough, I had, and then responded to a question about my two Spectrums with the quoted post above. So now I'll take this opportunity to revise this post. I've since found the sweet spot on the second Spectrum after another quick follow-up visit with Tom K about a year ago. It'll never have quite the magical feel of the first Spectrum, but now its close enough that I'm always happy to ride it and willingly choose it for lots of rides.

Used to be when I'd first get on the 2nd one after doing a bunch of riding on the 1st, I'd immediately notice the difference and really feel something lacking in it. And then I'd get back on the first and feel an overwhelming sense of relief - 'oh yeah - THIS is what its supposed to feel like'! Now, when I get on the second one, I don't feel like I'm missing anything - it feels and rides great and I'm not compelled to compare it to the first one at all. Its wonderful in its own right. Its only when I get back on the first one and feel that last couple of percentage points of perfection that I remember the difference at all. This is now the ideal 1-2 bike combination I'd always wanted and never quite found. Not I've got it!

And when I'm not in very good shape, I actually kind of prefer the second one because its a bit more forgiving, as it was designed to be. I took it to Italy this summer and it was the right bike for the riding I did there. In a way its a perfect second bike now. Absolutely no thought anymore to selling the second one and cloning the first, as I'd indicated I had thought about before. That one is off the table!

So, sorry to chime in yet again, but a bit of a correction / changed perspective.

-Ray

rnhood
09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Tarmac SL3

Its the best bike I've had in the last 30 years. Just loads of fun.

sg8357
09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Schwinn Varsity, best training bike ever, also used by many
Tour de France riders for the down hills.

Ever wonder why Salvodelli was so fast on the down hills?
There was a Varsity inside the carbon monocoque.

veloduffer
09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
2001 Richard Sachs
followed closely by Serotta Ottrott IT

Still evaluating Kish titanium cross bike - it's excellent thus far but need to put more miles on it.

Charles M
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Cut and paste the following:

My bike is the best bike

Climb01742
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
i'll qualify my answer by saying that time+memory may have given past frames a too rosy glow but the bike i miss most is my mid-90s mx leader.

cookietom
09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
2004 Litespeed Solano is my favorite,,,what more can I say....

bobswire
09-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Cut and paste the following:

My bike is the best bike

Thanks, simple and to the point.

My bike is the best bike or any candle apple red.

Pete Serotta
09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
There is no "the" best riding road bike. Some frame materials may be better than others in the comfort department, but it all depends on what you build (tube shape, size, wall thickness, etc.), geometry, and whether it fits....

Well said and some of the wheels make a major difference for the ride one calls the "best"

Even though I lean towards SEROTTA, I have to tell you that David Kirk, Carl STRONG, ERICKSEN, Spectrum, MOOTS, IF, BEDFORD, VANILLA, SACHS, PETE WIEGLE, LOOK and many others are in the same league for best ride.

The smile on your face will decide for you!!!! There are so so many excellent ones and yes the ones I mentioned are in my bias folder

wongmic75
09-16-2010, 01:07 PM
I just love the fit and ride....perfect combination of stiffness, lightness and springiness... it's my century bike of choice

slowandsteady
09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
This bike, hands down.
It's perfect.

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:WMELMISRpa1zzM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Arrow_southwest.svg/600px-Arrow_southwest.svg.png

Best link of the day - BY FAR!

The link is dead :crap: :crap: :crap:

TimD
09-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Best so far, that is :)

The Marcelo was excellent, but I think a Duende would have been better for me.

Climb01742
09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
The Marcelo was excellent, but I think a Duende would have been better for me.

may i ask why you feel that, tim? i rode my marcelo at lunch today in the 70 degree sunshine. felt pretty nice. :D :beer:

soulspinner
09-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Strong steel. I work in a bike shop and get to ride lotsa bikes. But I have long legs and a short torso and short arms. The Strong is the only one where my weight distribution seems perfect. Thats why its got 26000 miles on it :)
Gotta admit the one place where the carbon bikes shine is front end stiffness that those big tapered headtubes seem to help with.

d_douglas
09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
It's hard to say whether there is a placebo effect due to the aesthetics, but I sometimes forget about teh bike when riding it - that is a good sign that a bike is perfectly built for me.

I haven't owned the heaps of bikes like some others, but I have owned about 8 that qualify as high end bikes.

Second comes in the form of my IF single speed, which I bought from a friend. It looks huge, but rides perfectly on trails. I have recently decided that I am not an SS type of guy and am going to sell it off, in spite of the telepathic fit. Stupid maybe, but I am a one-off-road-bike type of guy. I have my geared bike.

Stay tuned in the classifieds. . . .. for the IF but NOT the Speedvagen!

phcollard
09-16-2010, 04:40 PM
The smile on your face will decide for you!!!!

You have a point there Peter.

To me the whole thing is about fit. That may sound obvious to most of you but to me... I realized when I was riding a so-called dream bike that was supposed to be me size. In fact the fit was so bad that ride was a nightmare. Besides that I have ridden rusty steel frames that were a joy because the fit was perfect.

I Want Sachs?
09-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Seeing this thread pop up I scrolled back through to see if I'd already posted to make sure I didn't duplicate what I'd already said. Sure enough, I had, and then responded to a question about my two Spectrums with the quoted post above. So now I'll take this opportunity to revise this post. I've since found the sweet spot on the second Spectrum after another quick follow-up visit with Tom K about a year ago. It'll never have quite the magical feel of the first Spectrum, but now its close enough that I'm always happy to ride it and willingly choose it for lots of rides.

Used to be when I'd first get on the 2nd one after doing a bunch of riding on the 1st, I'd immediately notice the difference and really feel something lacking in it. And then I'd get back on the first and feel an overwhelming sense of relief - 'oh yeah - THIS is what its supposed to feel like'! Now, when I get on the second one, I don't feel like I'm missing anything - it feels and rides great and I'm not compelled to compare it to the first one at all. Its wonderful in its own right. Its only when I get back on the first one and feel that last couple of percentage points of perfection that I remember the difference at all. This is now the ideal 1-2 bike combination I'd always wanted and never quite found. Not I've got it!

And when I'm not in very good shape, I actually kind of prefer the second one because its a bit more forgiving, as it was designed to be. I took it to Italy this summer and it was the right bike for the riding I did there. In a way its a perfect second bike now. Absolutely no thought anymore to selling the second one and cloning the first, as I'd indicated I had thought about before. That one is off the table!

So, sorry to chime in yet again, but a bit of a correction / changed perspective.

-Ray
Hi Ray, care to share what Tom did for you that brought out the sweet spot in the second bike? Was it saddle/stem/bar/pedal adjustment? Thanks.

schneiderrd
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
My best riding bike is my 1997 Dave Yates 531 Audax. Not the lightest but for sure the most comfortable.

lemondsteel
09-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Best handling............... Custom Serotta Colorado
Smooth riding and handling......... Guerciotti SLX
Quickest responding.............. Colnago Profile

The one I liked to ride all day and probably my favorite ....... Woodrup touring

OtayBW
09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
BMC (SLC-01) - ProMachine (the Squirrel Dodger)
Serotta Legend Ti

Jeff N.
09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Holland Exogrid Custom. Jeff N.

Ray
09-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Ray, care to share what Tom did for you that brought out the sweet spot in the second bike? Was it saddle/stem/bar/pedal adjustment? Thanks.
All saddle. Nothing I shouldn't have been able to do myself, but somehow I was screwing up the measurements and thought the saddle was already too far behind my "sweet spot" position, so I'd move it forward, when I was wrong about where it was and, therefore, where it should go. Once he pointed out my error and lined it up with the saddle on the other bike, I actually tweaked it a bit over the next couple of rides and between fore/aft and a tiny bit of tilt, I finally found that absolutely dead-on locked in position where you know its right. The weight was in the right place, the power generation felt efficient - you feel like you could ride it all day. You know it when you feel it. I was just messing up my own measurement somehow (not like I haven't been doing this long enough to have a good system in place, but sometimes even foolproof isn't foolproof enough for THIS fool!). Once I found it, VIOLA, I've been totally happy with that bike since then. And was really frustrated with it before that. Go figure. :cool:

-Ray

bicyclego
09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
My best riding bike will no doubt be the NEXT bike I buy. Right? If not, how else will I be justify to my wife another bike purchase? :D

roguedog
04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Just have to say..

Rode my Peg 65 miles yesterday and L-O-V-E it. Don't deserve it but love it.

Woof fun ride. :hello: Still have the smile stuck on my face..

SPOKE
04-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Most fun: Rigi
Most Precise: Kellogg
Best fit: Badger roadie
Best all arounder: Morati SC
Best cheapie: '86 Allez SE
Ridden most: Metax Italian frame (Probably a DeBernardi)

I really hope that I can add a Rigi to the collection one day. One of the stainless ones in my size would be outstanding but a regular CrMo version will gladly be welcome.
Like Mr Brunk, I have a few that are at the same level.
Sachs
JKS
Ottrott ST
Bedford "stainless mix"
Serotta 30th Anniversary
or either of the two Serotta CSi's
Can't forget the MeiVici either.

Fixed
04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
my red bike
cheers

bobswire
04-03-2011, 01:46 PM
It seems like "best riding" encompasses a lot of things: timing, mood, fitness, attitude, luck, components, along with the bike itself

That being said...

My Seven Elium Steel

Comfort bordering on plush. Racy geo that puts me in just the "right" position both in the hoods and drops.

Same here except my Seven is Ti Axiom. I shall forever be indebted to Thwart!
http://i53.tinypic.com/spj3tt.jpg

dave thompson
04-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Best riding? One of my Ottrotts, though I'm still waiting to put some serious miles on the MeiVici.

Most fun (and longest kept)? The Taylor.

All-rounder? Coming in about 2 months.

Gummee
04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I think the best JRA bike I've ever had was my TIGed SL steel Battaglin. Smooth like buttah. Not so good sprinting on it tho.

I have a Quattro Assi Team 2000 that I got recently as basically NOS that's real nice too. Fits better than my Roubaix, so I'd much rather ride that...

...till it comes time to hammer and then the attack position of the Roubaix just feels so good. Stiffer'n all get out thru the BB but rides nicely over the nasty things called farm roads here just outside NoVA. If I could find an 8mm spacer, I think I'd be a much happier camper on this one. Right now it feels like I'm driving a truck.

I have an Airborne Ti frame in the garage that I'm waiting for the budget to stabilize before I toss parts on it. Last Ti bike I owned was a PBS Ti mtn bike.

I'm also waiting for my 02 E-5 S-Works to come back from TX. Rides as nice as the steel bikes I've owned.

ALL of em ride much, much nicer than the '87 C-dale Criterium I started on.

From the beginning and I think I'm missing a few:
87 C-dale Criterium
SLX PDM Concorde
M2 Road Pro
Carbon S-Works mtn (no not the Ti lugged one :cry)
SL Battaglin
SLX Battaglin
M4 S-Works
E5 S-Works
Bontrager Road Lite (ugh)
C-dale F2000
TET Cyclocross
Faggin Track
Greg Cunefare Custom Track
Russ Denny Custom Track
Kona Jake the Snake
Gunnar Crosshairs
Fetish SAC (rode better than the specs suggested)
Dean mtn (theoretically 853. the ex- has it now)
86 Allez A-1
Quattro Assi Team 2000
'10 Roubaix 8r layup
Airborne Ti frame

I'll usually have between 3 and 8 bikes built with usually that many extra sets of wheels. You know... just in case!

M

Aaron O
04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Every bike I own is a better bike than I am a rider and they are tools, some are great for different purposes. Ultimately, my favorites are these:

My Koga Miyata Traveler. Definitely not my "wow factor" bike, but it's an awesome commuter and a heck of a rain bike. It's a steady rider, versatile, reasonably quick over a variety of terrains and surfaces and sturdy as heck. Right now it's my most used ride around town bike, but I hope to take it touring across country one of these days. I almost hope I get laid off!

Koga Miyata Traveler with 105 triple, Dia-Compe 982s, Honjos and Tubus racks

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo1279.jpg

My MAX Marnati. This is fairly new to my stable and I haven't put it through all of her paces yet...but thus far it's everything I asked Daniele to build for me. A fast bike, comfortable for distances and good for club rides. It's incredibly precise and stable on descents. It doesn't feel fast, but when you actually do the math, it's faster than bikes I have that feel quicker.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0473-1.jpg

Columbus SL (I think) Richard Sachs. This is just a great all around and lively bike...it climbs nicely and descends nicely. I can't see myself getting rid of it, but in many ways, it's similar to my Marnati.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0107.jpg

Merlin Ti. Before my Marnati, I thought this was the be all and end all bike I'd ever ridden. It's just straight up fast and if I need to keep up with people, this is my choice in most situations. Bonus for not scratching or needing touch ups. It's quick as hell on climbs, but less stable and firm on descents.

Please excuse the photo...it's as purchased and pre-modified.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Photo0963.jpg

Len J
04-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Sachs........hands down

Best prior to that......Ottrott ST

Len

marle
04-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Aaron O's Sachs is from a different era - down tube shifting. The gearing is taller and folks only need 1 water bottle. Love it!

martinrjensen
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
My 2000 Serotta CSI is my best riding bike. It also happens to be the one I have been riding the most, though those 2 criteria are independent of each other. Come summer I will be switching back and forth pretty evenly between the Serotta and the Merckx 753

Uncle Jam's Army
04-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Hands down, it is my Crumpton Corsa-M.

jr59
04-03-2011, 10:29 PM
The one I rode today!

And the one I will ride tomorrow!

Johnny P
04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
My 1998 Serotta Ti bike that I bought on the forum.
JP

Frankwurst
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
When I hung them up late last fall. My Bridgestone RB-T. No I'm not kidding. New ones on the hook after this winter I'm sure will win out. :beer: