PDA

View Full Version : Giro stage 4---the crema rises to the top

thwart
05-13-2009, 12:12 PM
That's 5, not 4... :crap:

Now that's a stage.

Of the top 10 finishers, 7 or 8 are considered contenders to win the GC.

This rider did not do so well...

Keith A
05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
But he didn't do too poorly...I'd certainly be happy to be able to climb like he did today ;)

EDS
05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
That particular rider was 6th overall after stage 4. After stage 5, well . . .

Keith A
05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
He's still in the top 194 :rolleyes:

Marcusaurelius
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought he rode very well for someone who was retired and broke his collarbone recently. I think he will start to show something in the last week of the Giro.

tuscanyswe
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
2 Swedes in top 10 :D

For you who dont follow swedes.. thats not very common :cool:

Avispa
05-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I have been watching the Giro on DISH, which has the actual RAI TV broadcast... I saw a brief interview with Lance where he was asked yesterday about Stages 4 & 5. He clearly said: "Don't expect me to be a contender... I am not ready yet!"

As many others in the sport, I have questioned the reasons for Lance to come back... BUT he is there now and he is racing pretty darn well if one looks as his preparation for this race so far... I mean, the Giro ain't no Tour of the Gila, ya know...

..A..

paczki
05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
That was great to watch. I wonder, though, if maybe Astana made a mistake. Why did Lance need two domestiques (or maybe three) ferrying him to a three minute loss? Brajkovic looked like he was very strong. If he had stayed with the front group Astana would have had three riders, and only Columbia would have had two. Leipheimer looked really, really strong. I wonder if there were three Astana riders up there whether Leipheimer could have gotten the jump on DeLuca and Menchov at 2K or so. Now I recognize that both DeLuca and Menchov looked really strong as well and since Leipheimer is such a strong TT rider maybe staying with the selection is sufficient.

Onno
05-13-2009, 06:16 PM
I was wondering the same thing. If he's really just riding to help and get in some miles, why does he need to be surrounded by most of the Astana team on a climb in which he's losing time? Weird.

Elefantino
05-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Why did Lance need two domestiques (or maybe three) ferrying him to a three minute loss?
Because he's paying the bills.

paczki
05-13-2009, 06:20 PM

:beer:

Avispa
05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I just don't think this is the case with Asstana...

Anyway, remember the Giro is a long way to go and doesn't have the mountains of years past!

IMO, if Lance hadn't had these guys around him it would have been further embarrassment! I have a feeling he would have ended further back... 50+.
I have a feeling, Levi can take care of himself for now*...

Now read today's cycling news, "Intentions Confirmed":http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009//giro09/?id=results/giro095

..A..

*Remember one thing, if some big name will get busted this year for doping
it will be Mr. Leipheimer. Just remember Landis' footsteps leading to his demise....

Climb01742
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Now I recognize that both DeLuca and Menchov looked really strong as well and since Leipheimer is such a strong TT rider maybe staying with the selection is sufficient.

that's my guess. he's trying to pull a big mig: stay with climbers on the climbs and blow them away in the TTs. it'll be fun to see if he can do it.

MattTuck
05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
congrats to Horner on a nice ride. I always liked that guy.

cadence90
05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I have been watching the Giro on DISH, which has the actual RAI TV broadcast... I saw a brief interview with Lance where he was asked yesterday about Stages 4 & 5. He clearly said: "Don't expect me to be a contender... I am not ready yet!"

As many others in the sport, I have questioned the reasons for Lance to come back... BUT he is there now and he is racing pretty darn well if one looks as his preparation for this race so far... I mean, the Giro ain't no Tour of the Gila, ya know...

..A..
Exactly.

Here is today's Gazzetta interview with Lance (http://video.gazzetta.it/Giro?vxSiteId=80b44ba4-1aae-449c-b8c2-d70533903c2b&vxChannel=Giro%5FPrimo%5FPiano&vxClipId=2570_80763498-3fef-11de-b509-00144f02aabc&vxBitrate=300) (in English).

Di Luca looks great, but he freely admits that he needs to build up a lead in the mountains that he can then use as a cushion in the Cinque Terre ITT (man, that is going to be a beautiful stage).

Back in 2005, CycleSport pegged Lövkvist (along with Thomas Dekker, Dario Pieri, and Rafaa Chtioui) as one of their future Fab 4. Not bad.

Cunego was a big disappointment today.
I still think Basso takes it all, though my sentimental favorite would be Di Luca, for his efforts following the earthquake in Abruzzo.

93legendti
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
That was great to watch. I wonder, though, if maybe Astana made a mistake. Why did Lance need two domestiques (or maybe three) ferrying him to a three minute loss? Brajkovic looked like he was very strong. If he had stayed with the front group Astana would have had three riders, and only Columbia would have had two. Leipheimer looked really, really strong. I wonder if there were three Astana riders up there whether Leipheimer could have gotten the jump on DeLuca and Menchov at 2K or so. Now I recognize that both DeLuca and Menchov looked really strong as well and since Leipheimer is such a strong TT rider maybe staying with the selection is sufficient.
The Giro is rarely won in the 1rst week.

paczki
05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
The Giro is rarely won in the 1rst week.

True. But mountain top finishes are the main place where the Giro is won. And there are only a small bunch of them.

jhcakilmer
05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
congrats to Horner on a nice ride. I always liked that guy.

+1....I always like to see this guy racing well.....he looks so happy just to be on his bike, even though sometimes I'm sure he's suffering.

Levi, IMO, "looks" very strong. I know "looks" can be deceiving, but Levi just looks like he was cruising, especially in the last few km he went from near the front to the back and up front again.....just looked like he was checking everyone out.

He's not as explosive as some other others, he should just hang on (Indurain), and crush them in the TT.