PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Helium: is there a slightly better or comparable wheel?

dd74
05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I'm looking to move up from Mavic Heliums. I don't think the Helium is made any longer. So what is a comparable if not slightly better wheel that Mavic or others might make in lieu of the Helium?

Thanks. :)

thwart
05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Literally hundreds of possibilities...

Maybe Mavic Open Pro rims laced to Ultegra hubs. That's a similar lower aspect rim with a high quality hub, and very well-priced.

Will be slightly heavier than the Heliums.

Keith A
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Helium rim basically an Open Pro (or Reflex back then)?

cmg
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
So what is a comparable if not slightly better wheel that Mavic or others might make in lieu of the Helium?

Velocity Aeroheads, Mavic open pros, KinLin rims

Monthly Payment
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Mavic made the Ksyrium ES to follow up the Helium.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2006/reviews/mavic_ksyrium_es

The Ksyrium ES are a little more expensive than the Heliums were but I have to admit after beating on a pair of Ksyrium SLs for the past 1.5 years, the Ksyriums are pretty good and I wouldn't mind giving the ES a shot. The latest version of the Ksyrium SL is the ES renamed. I've seen the Ksyrium ES/SL on sale for $700 or so new.

Keith A
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
You might also consider the new Dura-Ace 7850-SL wheelset.

caleb
05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Mavic Heliums were lightish box section clinchers, but most prebuilts are now more of a "v" profile.

http://photos.tow.com/photos/180472805_hHAff-M.jpg

Aside from handbuilts, the Zipp team issue wheels come to mind as a wheelset that's similar to the Heliums:

http://www.velonews.com/files/images/CTTZippWheels.jpg

http://www.velonews.com/files/images/CTTSastreBike.jpg

dd74
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I ask this because I wonder if I've damaged my rear wheel. I had a blow out, and was miles away from being able to service the blown tube. I rode about 5 miles on the Helium rear.

The road was fairly rough, but I'm only about 150 pounds.

After the blowout was fixed, I checked the true of the wheel, and nothing seemed out of whack. Spokes were a tad lose though.

Any advice? Should I be worried? The wheel has no flat spots of which I can decipher.

Thanks.

Pete Serotta
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Sounds like things are fine...how does it feel when you ride it?

Also just have it rebuilt if rim turns bad down the road. Kelly Bedford rides them as his one and only and loves them, Yes they are old but they still work.

Another wheel I like is the CSC Team Zipp wheels....but you sound ok with what you have,

PETE

I ask this because I wonder if I've damaged my rear wheel. I had a blow out, and was miles away from being able to service the blown tube. I rode about 5 miles on the Helium rear.

After the blowout was fixed, I checked the true of the wheel, and nothing seemed out of whack. Spokes were a tad lose though.

Any advice? Should I be worried? The wheel has no flat spots of which I can decipher.

Thanks.

KeithNYC
05-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks.

Just take the wheel into a good shop. Get it trued/ re-tensioned.

Birddog
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Ive been riding Heliums since year two whenever that was. They will take a medium amount of abuse, more if you're light. The rims usually get stress risers indicating that they need to be replaced. I've had mine rebuilt once about two years ago. As of last year, Mavic still had the hoops available for rebuild. The rim itself appears to be a slightly modified version of the Open Pro. They were one of the first so-called "boutique" wheels when they were introduced. The race for wheel "lightness" really took off after they sold well. Most of the weight was saved in the spokes (low count) and the hubs. Those rims aren't exactly "weight weenie" category by today's standards.

Birddog

dd74
05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Pete, Keith, Birddog - thanks, fellas. This was really my worry; just too embarrassed to admit what happened - and was also expecting the worse. I forgot my spares, etc - and boom! Fate reared its ugliness.

The wheel feels good after a couple good Samaritans came to my rescue with a patched tube, wheel tools and a pump. I'll put a little more air pressure in the tube tonight and see how it works.

dd74
05-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Update - the rear wheel is fine. It rolls as it should.

Good, tough wheels. Thanks for the help. :)

sspielman
05-14-2009, 07:19 AM
A set of Heliums is usually worth rebuilding because of the awesome hubs alone......Great wheels for whenever a set of aero wheels is not better....

dd74
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm not racing that much - just overall fast club riding and lots of road work during the week. So maybe the Heliums are good enough in that regard?

Ken R
05-14-2009, 11:27 PM
I've been on Heliums for at least 10 years, I think. Have a set of tubulars and a set of clinchers. At the time, they were the lightest wheels available that would hold up. I'm a 150 pound rider and real easy on wheels.

Plenty of low-mileage Heliums come up on eBay. They come and go. I almost bought another set of Clinchers.

But alas, peer pressure got to me. I bought a set of Dura Ace 7801's. They arrived today. I weighed them and compared to my Heliums. Ready to ride, the front wheel is 85 grams lighter than the front Helium! Rear was over 100 grams lighter!

So, I'm happy with my decision to buy Dura Ace. I understand that they're very strong. One of our local CAT1's (205 pounds) has been on them for 3 years. I'd say that makes 'em bullet-proof.

Ken

Kingfisher
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Ken,

Are the new dura ace you weighed clinchers or tubulars?