PDA

View Full Version : Carbon handlebars, stem and seatpost question...

dd74
05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I recently bought a 52cm Schwinn Paramount Ti built by Serotta. It's a great bike. However, I would like to try some carbon bits and pieces on it, specifically to kill some road buzz I've been getting, especially in my hands.

The frame was assembled in 2000, and the components are Dura Ace 7700. I'm not sure what size seatpost I have, but do know the handlebars are 42cm, and the steerer is 1-inch.

Can someone recommend carbon handlebars, a stem (that will work with a 1-inch steerer) and seatpost that can be used with this frame?

Thanks.

dookie
05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
lower your tire pressure if you haven't already, and/or run 25c. that'll probably do ya'.

carbon controls will do very little to 'kill buzz'. does it have a carbon fork already? if not, that's the first place i'd put plastic.

Smiley
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
lower your tire pressure if you haven't already, and/or run 25c. that'll probably do ya'.

carbon controls will do very little to 'kill buzz'. does it have a carbon fork already? if not, that's the first place i'd put plastic.
I'd also add a new set of custom wheels to add vertical compliance with the wheels

1centaur
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
You might not believe it from the metal lovers on the Serotta forum, but you can believe it from me, the king of carbon fiber loving with the world's most sensitive ride feel-ometer built into my body. I'm all about the carbon fiber ride and...I can feel it in bars sometimes but often not - very subtle; not in stems; almost never in posts. I concur with the wheels comments. Various bar tape vibration damping measures are worth a shot. And of course, the old chestnut about riding with a light touch on the bars should always be mentioned since we have not seen you ride - straight arms and tight grips help exacerbate vibration from the bars.

Climb01742
05-14-2009, 05:05 AM
the wheel and tire suggestions are good ones. i agree with 1centaur that carbon bars and stems seem to make very little, if any, difference. one other thought: might a new fork help? maybe even a steel one? beyond that though, i'd wager carbon forks have come a long ways since 2000. a new fork might kill some of that buzz.

ahumblecycler
05-14-2009, 06:38 AM
I echo the above thoughts but I will add a little.

Carbon bars - I like because of the ability to manipulate shapes; I buy used which equals close to new alloy bars (sometimes cheaper)

Carbon stems - I will not even use if given. They are heavy, typically not as stiff, and I do not like the looks

Carbon seat posts - I cannot the tell the difference on a good bike (e.g., high quality carbon bike with geometry designed for comfort or some forgiveness). I use carbon seat posts b/c they came with the frame and one b/c I got a good deal. If I was to replace now, I would love a Thomson alloy but their set back is not enough for me.

Go for good bar tape (I like s-works and maybe Fizik gel pads underneath) and 25 tires with 95 PSI or so. Or go tubeless.

dd74
05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
All terrific suggestions. Thanks a lot, guys!

1 Centaur - I'm going to start with your suggestion, and check out how I ride. The light touch is something I find I do not do particularly when faced with headwinds, which is then when my hands and lower arms numb.

ahumblecycler
05-14-2009, 02:58 PM
All terrific suggestions. Thanks a lot, guys!

1 Centaur - I'm going to start with your suggestion, and check out how I ride. The light touch is something I find I do not do particularly when faced with headwinds, which is then when my hands and lower arms numb.

Also note where you touch and how often. For example, I use my tops a lot during headwinds (get aero to mimic aero bars), and I force my palms to rest on the flats where my glove gel inserts are.

Dekonick
05-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Might I suggest Brawrap? (Handlebra that is)

FMS_rider
05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
I recently bought a 52cm Schwinn Paramount Ti built by Serotta. It's a great bike. However, I would like to try some carbon bits and pieces on it, specifically to kill some road buzz I've been getting, especially in my hands.

The frame was assembled in 2000, and the components are Dura Ace 7700. I'm not sure what size seatpost I have, but do know the handlebars are 42cm, and the steerer is 1-inch.

Can someone recommend carbon handlebars, a stem (that will work with a 1-inch steerer) and seatpost that can be used with this frame?

Thanks.If "road buzz" from coarse pavement is your primary concern, my personal experience is that Fizik gel pads (with any tape --I don't like theirs) will make a noticeable difference even with high quality 25c tires at ~80 psi (I weigh 150 lbs) and carbon fiber bars, stem and post.

However I doubt you will notice any effect from gel pads on "jolts" from pavement irregularities --for those, compliant larger diameter tires will make a difference, although in my limited experience the effect will be much greater for a stiff frame than a relatively compliant one like I assume your Serotta/Schwinn Ti to be.

A cheap way to start is to lower your tire pressure to the minimum dictated by your tire diameter and body weight if you haven't tried that already. If you run highish pressures that will make a HUGE difference for any bike.

Lew

edit: here's the link for the attached plot: http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=airpressure.view

dookie
05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
that chart is whack.

i'm 180lbs and i run my 23c (non-michelin) tires at ~100psi. can't remember the last time i pinch flatted.

FMS_rider
05-20-2009, 07:20 AM
I also use pressures considerably below those recommended on the Michelin chart with the Michelin Pro series that I have been using for many years (together with Conti GP4000s in recent years in which I use the same pressures). However I almost always ride alone, which means I almost never hit potholes or objects that you are much more likely to hit when riding in a group. I also religiously check my tire pressures because there isn't much room for error --the last time I pinch flatted was ~6 years ago when I got lazy --the pressure in the front wheel was something like 70psi with 23c Michelin Pros when I got home so the pinch-flatted rear was presumably in the same ballpark (I inflate my rear tires to ~5psi more than my front.

With regard to speed loss with low pressures that has been extensively discussed on this forum and elsewhere. The Michelin chart is for optimal, not minimum pressure, so I presume you will gain little or nothing speed-wise by inflating beyond the recommended level with most clinchers (even though you will feel like you are going faster becasue of the rougher ride).

All of the above (both posts) is from personal experience and my interpretations of what I have heard and read.

Lew

duke
05-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I weigh 170. I have been running 90 lbs in the front and 100 lbs in the rear with Vittoria 700x23 clinchers for ten years on various bikes. I have had flats for about every reason that comes to mind, except not one pinch flat. It makes a huge difference in the ride (worse in my opinion) if I increase the pressure.
duke

victoryfactory
05-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Many tech and gear heads will talk about frame stiffness, carbon this and that
and padding till the cows come home:

"Yes the carbon seat post made a major difference in the ride"
etc.

But as many have said above, TIRE PRESSURE is where you start.

You may not even need any of that other stuff, it's like magic.
The problem is that since it doesn't cost $$$ people don't believe it.
(until they try it)

I do like carbon forks (for lightness) and carbon seat rails do seem to work too.

VF

RPS
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
However, I would like to try some carbon bits and pieces on it, specifically to kill some road buzz I've been getting, especially in my hands.When riding on rough roads most anything that softens the ride will likely reduce road buzz; but keep in mind all bikes transmit vibration regardless of material – it’s just a matter of how much.

As others have stated, reducing tire air pressure on an existing bike is the simplest thing to do, and it works well because it reduces the amplitude of vibration; hence the magnitude of buzz reaching the rider. You’ll still feel the buzz but just not as much of it. I’d start by dropping the pressure on your existing tires to see if you still like the handling and to confirm that you don’t pinch flat too frequently.

Carbon as a material can help with very low amplitude vibration but won’t solve the problem when the road becomes very rough. On very rough roads the stiffness of the components plays a greater part, and carbon is not significantly “softer” than alloy bars, stems, or seatposts.

IHMO it comes down to the cumulative effect. With stiff frame, fork, wheels, and high-pressure tires it’s possible that carbon “bits and pieces” may be noticeable on some roads, but when installed on a softer-riding bike the effect should be much less pronounced.

I’d try lower pressure first.

Tobias
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I recently bought a 52cm Schwinn Paramount Ti built by Serotta.IMO smaller bikes often tend to ride harsher due to shorter wheelbase, stiffer geometry, and other size-based factors. And if you happen to be lighter in weight than the average rider (assumed likely based on frame size) then air pressure becomes even more critical. Depending on your weight you may be able to reduce air pressure significantly without increasing tire size.

Larger low-pressure tires are assumed by many to be slower due to added aero-drag, higher weight, and higher rolling resistance. Dropping pressure on your existing tires doesn't add aero drag or weight, so I'd do that first. Plus it could save you a few bucks.