PDA

View Full Version : what's the most you've spent on...

Climb01742
05-13-2009, 10:42 AM
the thread about expensive bikes got me thinking...

we each have "ordinary" things in our lives that matter more to us than they do to most other folks. for me that "ordinary" object is levi's 501s. i wear 501s every day to work. they're my comfort clothes. i just dig them way out of proportion to their worth to most other folks. 501s just are me.

i once spent $175 for a pair of 501s (ok, i bought 5 pairs) made from the same kind of denim levi's used in the 1950s. and that was almost 10 years ago. i still have all five, wear 'em every week and they look great.

so what's "it" for you? what's the thing you've spent the most on that most folks would say, "dude, you're nuts!"

csm
05-13-2009, 10:44 AM
besides bikes?
shotguns, flyrods, tires, ski stuff immediately comes to mind.

Gothard
05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Bike-wise, The Weigles are a "price-be-damned" thing, because they are hard to get, and because they talk to me.
The dicontinued IWC Ocean 2000 would also be a spinal reflex buy.
Some years ago it was some obscure Porsche parts.

gman
05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Coffee
Beer
Wine
Shoes
Ties
Insurance

znfdl
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
as my name implies, dark red full bodied wines
& good food, especially cheese

Dranreb
05-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Just did something like that recently...

bought five handguns and 1000 rounds of ammo. Needless to say the guy at the gun shop was looking at me "funny" :D

Oh and I haven't shot a single round (yet).

Jeff N.
05-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Handguns. Many, many handguns. If it's worth owning, I probably have it.
Premium Tequila.
Custom made McDermott 20th Anniv. Pool Cue.
Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono in Ti and Rose Gold. Jeff N.

1centaur
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
As a nice book-end to 501s worn to work, my extravagance would be made-to-measure suits. Lots of guys think $1,000 for a suit is some kind of ceiling, but $1,800 for made-to-measure from Italian fabrics that I pick, with all the right details and perfect drape for my non-standard body type (read: cyclist), really makes a difference to me in certain kinds of business meetings. Close behind is made-to-measure shirts, though now I get those on the Net from Hong Kong so they don't cost TOO much more than some stock shirts. Ever since I read about the custom collar height for Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko I have really noticed the effect of collar height on business shirts and you can't get that height right for my pencil neck in stock shirts.

Finally, if I actually told anyone I spent >$40 for a cake a couple of times a year that I ate all myself they'd probably say I was nuts. They have not tasted this one, fresh from 18 seconds in the microwave after being in the refrigerator:

http://www.carolinescakes.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA

false_Aest
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
My two degrees in art and photography should cost close to $150k.

$2,400 for a 5x7" camera.
$1,000 for a lens.
$600 for a tripod.
$4,000+ scanner.
$5 for a sheet of film + $5 to have it processed.

Sister plays the violin. Her's was $24k. Her instructor's: $100k+.

We should've gone to business school.

Elefantino
05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Have always worn Levi's 505,s not 501s. Never did dig the button fly idea. Wish I could wear mine at work, even on Fridays. No dice. Too bad, because I'm in them the rest of the time. Recently paiid $27.50 a pair. Bargain.

Don't really splurge on what others splurge on. Coffee? Don Francisco's is $3.89 a can. Leased four BMWs, but that was in my 40s. Now I drive a 93,000-mile minivan.

The only real "dude, you're nuts" has yet to come. My daughter wants to go to George Washington.

Dude, I'm nuts.

Kevan
05-13-2009, 11:53 AM
kids.

Ozz
05-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Slight thread drift.....I wore 501's in college cuz they were cheap...but frankly, I couldn't wear them every day...too tight in legs / thighs and not comfy. I picked up some Calvin Kleins at Costco for $30 each about 15 years ago...they are faded and looking worn, but so much a better fit I rue the day I can no longer wear them....

Back on topic.....my siblings make fun of nearly everything I buy cuz the deem it too expensive....I figure I just do without until I can afford what I really want...that way I don't have to settle.

Besides bikes....

Kitchen knives (Henckels fourstar, Shun)
Cookware (All-Clad, Scanpan) (funny thing, I use a Lodge skillet mostly these days)
Food - Whole Foods loves our family....
Wine....life's too short
Suits - not to 1centaurs extent, but thank god I don't wear them everyday

I'm sure there's more if I think about it....

dd74
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Used to be my Porsche. But it's finished -- well, the new passenger-side race seat needs to go in - then it's finished.

Cycling, though, is much more fun than burning up $3-$400 a day at Willow Springs Raceway.

Sandy
05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
MY car.

Sandy

caleb
05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Coffee
Beer
Wine
Shoes
Ties

shotguns, flyrods, tires, ski stuff

That pretty much covers it for my non-bike stuff. I picked up a set of Alden full strap loafers last week, and I've been eyeing a Caesar Guerini Magnus Light for a few months. I'll probably hold out until mid-summer on the shotgun, but I'm sure I'll lose my resolve in August.

At least I don't need expensive watches. Yet...

LesMiner
05-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Woodworking tools especially the stationary ones:

- table saw
- radial arm saw
- miter saw
- drill press
- band saw
- thickness planer
- jointer
- dust collector
- air cleaner
- mortiser
- drum sander
- scroll saw

A lot of hand held power tools and other hand held tools. Winters are long here and making furniture gives me something to do.

Keith A
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Slight thread drift.....I wore 501's in college cuz they were cheap...but frankly, I couldn't wear them every day...too tight in legs / thighs and not comfy. My thoughts exactly...too tight in the legs/thighs...and I'm not even a big guy (155 lbs at 5'10"). I'd be happy to give them a try again if they loosed them up a little.

Charles M
05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
my list...

YES

znfdl
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
kids.

+1

Len J
05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
@ things like that.

Camera Equipment...Yikes. Computers, tripods, bags, lens's bodies, filters, cards, software, printers, etc etc etc etc.

The Boxster S I bought for my 50th.......I drive it everywhere and it still puts a smile on my face and most people don't get it.

Len

shinomaster
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I spent $500 on a little clay tea cup. :confused:

RudAwkning
05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Suits - not to 1centaurs extent, but thank god I don't wear them everyday

When I first read this I thought you said "sluts". That was funny for a moment... :P

RudAwkning
05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Stereo equipment.

I'm soooo glad I got out of that hobby. I had fun but it was a huge money sink of endless upgrades.

What's really sad is that both of my CJ amps are blown and my CEC TL1 transport doesn't track properly anymore. Will cost close to $2k just to repair them. And shipping 100lb. amps back to Virginia ain't cheap either.

DonH
05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
so what's "it" for you? what's the thing you've spent the most on that most folks would say, "dude, you're nuts!"

Currently bikes, but I spent a small fortune in the 80's and 90's on off-road motorcycling (motocross and hare scrambles). It was money well spent though - no regrets.

Lifelover
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
All the little things. I can't think of any one thing that I have bought that fits the mold. However, I plan to always spend pretty much every nickel I make on the little thinks in life.

d_douglas
05-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I spare little expense when it comes to jogging shoes, which is my preferred footwear.

I also blew major dough on two pairs of Zeha Berlins last Fall. Not nearly as comfortable as my Asics, but stylish as hell. They make me smile.

Flower for my lady too. It's always worth the smile, plus it's her birthday today!!!!

MRB
05-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Got a good deal on 80ft of Lake Frontage, but it was still $5K per foot.

texbike
05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Bikes are really it for me. I used to spend stupid money on rusty, classic European sports cars, guitars, and clunky old houses.

I've managed to kick most of the habits except the bike one. Unfortunately its hard to resist cool old Merckxs and Colnagos when a good deal pops up on one. :)

Texbike

Hardlyrob
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
The big one is money on restoring old houses - it's kind of what we do. So beyond contractors, custom mouldings and wide pine flooring its:

Musical instruments - (piano, trumpets, cornets) this is always money well spent - the right instrument is so much easier to play, which makes it more fun, which makes you want to practice more, which makes you better, which...

Ski stuff - been doing it forever, and wines - in both cases life is way too short.

Woodworking tools - stationary and hand tools - those Record and Lie Neilsen planes are works of art.

Cheers!

Rob

pdmtong
05-13-2009, 04:37 PM
ex-girlfriends

Ozz
05-13-2009, 04:45 PM
ex-girlfriends
"I'm always on the lookout for the future ex-Mrs. Malcolm." - Jurassic Park

:rolleyes:

C5 Snowboarder
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
if we are talking stuff that others say " You're Nuts"

3 Cars
10 snowboards
4 sets of golf clubs
30" high resolution Dell monitor ( I just had to have it!)
52" Plasma HDTV and home theater in my bedroom. :rolleyes:
My beloved Legend Ti

caleb
05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I plan to always spend pretty much every nickel I make on the little thinks in life.

The "little things" are what really make quality of life, at least from a material perspective (not to imply that material stuff is the most important thing, or even very important at all in the big picture).

I can do without fancy cars, boats, or vacations. Yet, I was hardly able to resist a Peal ($$$) business card holder yesterday. I have no idea why I tick the way I do. Glad to hear there are other people out there in the same boat.

sokyroadie
05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
My second passion is boats and no pansy SAILBOATS either. I live on a lake and have at least 2 boats at all times.

Jeff

Steve in SLO
05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Porsches, old and new(er)
Vintage watches.

Noonan
05-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Kubota RTV-900 to take out the garbage
Orvis Helios fly rods (3-8 wt.)
BMW R1200GS
Powermatic tools (66, 8" jointer, 15" planer, oscillating edge sander)
Brunswick Gold Crown IV billiard table

Wish list: http://www.montanaboatbuilders.com/driftboats_recurve.htm

Climb01742
05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
thanks. you folks are making me feel much less nuts. :beer:

DukeHorn
05-13-2009, 09:02 PM
4k on a kevlar sea kayak

My trip to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Law school tuition at Duke

My Steinway grand

Paying money to almost drown on whitewater rapids in Peru.

1centaur
05-13-2009, 09:25 PM
German or American Steinway? Year?

Way back when I was an analyst my insurance company owned 28% of Steinway and I was the guy who followed it. Then some guys I worked with bought the company a few years later. Always had a soft spot in my heart for the tone of those pianos - never got the same feeling for Bosendorfer or Yamaha. One of my last classes in college was piano tuning and technology - rebuilding pianos - great class to finish out my credits.

rphetteplace
05-13-2009, 09:37 PM
John Varvatos Converse. All Stars & Jack Purcells can't get enough of the freaking things.

dsteady
05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Besides Bikes:
Fly reels - benchmade, American salmon reels mostly. They're essentially jewelry, but I can't resist.
HiFi - it's really more about music, but you need those boxes to bring you that music.

DukeHorn
05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
"My" Steinway is actually a misnomer. My sister and I both chipped in to buy (if I remember correctly it's a 76) a used Model M American Steinway (a medium grand) for my parents for their 40 wedding anniversary. We thought it would be an interesting heirloom piece for the family--my parents had donated the Yamaha baby grand we grew up on to their church when they moved back to Connecticut. Of course, the kids both now reside in CA and our houses are too small to accommodate a baby grand.

It's scary to think that a piano costs more than the cars the "kids" drive (a Prius and a Mazda 3).

peanutgallery
05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Golf

Kids - Child care is pricey...52 weeks per year. Think brand new Ottrott or so every year. New cycling shoes, pedals and what not every year included.

PoppaWheelie
05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
A mortgage.

Living in the Bay Area, just about anyone looking-in from the rest of the country would consider its heft "nuts".

Between that, kids and a handful of bikes, I'm cleaned-out!

Jeff N.
05-13-2009, 10:16 PM
"My" Steinway is actually a misnomer. My sister and I both chipped in to buy (if I remember correctly it's a 76) a used Model M American Steinway (a medium grand) for my parents for their 40 wedding anniversary. We thought it would be an interesting heirloom piece for the family--my parents had donated the Yamaha baby grand we grew up on to their church when they moved back to Connecticut. Of course, the kids both now reside in CA and our houses are too small to accommodate a baby grand.

It's scary to think that a piano costs more than the cars the "kids" drive (a Prius and a Mazda 3).Worth every penny it cost...especially if you know how to actually play the thing. Jeff N.

JBone
05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
other than cars, bought my wife a Yamaha baby grand for our anniversary and I have 2 watches that are worth about 30k - yikes! :confused:

toaster
05-14-2009, 12:19 AM
New, short-term girlfriends. :D

caterham
05-14-2009, 12:48 AM
i'd say most folks would have a hard time with my audio gear-
for example, i've about $12K into the turntable(ie:record player+psu+tonearm & cartridge) another $4K+ for the phonostage alone & my main system loudspeakers currently retail at about $15K. i have no idea what i've got into the entire system if you figure in all the hardware, cabling ,supports, & accessories and not really sure i want to know -guessing around $50-60K but it wouldn't shock me if it were considerably more. don't even mention the music collection....

Ti-Boy
05-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Cigars.

keno
05-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Private safari to Kenya in the big change extravagance never to be outdone by my last 15 months in the stock market.

Caesar Guerini over/under, custom suits, Joss West pool cue, dinner for two at Per Se, in Manhattan, golf lessons with Hank Haney that turned out to be useless with the ones with lesser names.

keno

Smiley
05-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Care and Love for my Chinese Shar Pei.

-dustin
05-14-2009, 07:16 AM
I purchased a $40k sheet of paper that has my name on it. So far, ROI sucks. Would've rather purchased a Steinway or a larger house.

Also like to buy shoes.

Dekonick
05-14-2009, 07:27 AM
landscaping.

Everyone loves the yard. Everyone thinks I am nuts - 20k on a waterfall.

No regrets.

Probably ~75k in landscaping - but it makes the outside space enjoyable.

:banana:

Hardlyrob
05-14-2009, 07:34 AM
German or American Steinway? Year?

Way back when I was an analyst my insurance company owned 28% of Steinway and I was the guy who followed it. Then some guys I worked with bought the company a few years later. Always had a soft spot in my heart for the tone of those pianos - never got the same feeling for Bosendorfer or Yamaha. One of my last classes in college was piano tuning and technology - rebuilding pianos - great class to finish out my credits.

Since you asked - 1929 Hamburg A 6'2" - rebuilt in New York in 2001 by Piano Piano - the third best piano we played while shopping in NYC and Boston - the top two weren't for sale.

Cheers!

Rob

Ozz
05-14-2009, 07:44 AM
...Kids - Child care is pricey...52 weeks per year. Think brand new Ottrott or so every year. New cycling shoes, pedals and what not every year included.
+1....not really an extravagence though....more like paying the cable bill.

dnades
05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Some expensive things in my life:

Linn Stereo equipment
Nice dress clothes (no more...room...)
Camera equipment
Tea and all its accoutrements(sp?)
Hand made soap from Kauai
My wife :) in a good way of course

Tons of nice woodworking tools though. Both hand and stationary power. Lots of dough in those. A lot of the hand tools are awaiting the day of full time furniture making rather than the cabinetry/millwork we presently do.

The next big thing will be a house from scratch. And hopefully that first list won't disappear.....

flydhest
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
$500+ on a coffee grinder.

TimD
05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
993 targa.

gearguywb
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM
besides bikes....

Land Cruisers
Perazzi shotgun
cigars
Rolex sporting watches, currently do not have one :(
outdoor gear...including optics

gemship
05-14-2009, 10:46 AM
+1....not really an extravagence though....more like paying the cable bill.

oh I'm not so sure about that..... Seems like there are so many kids having kids these days for the sheer novelty of having a baby around the house. Some women actually justify their existence by having babies kind of like the octamom.

Where I live spending upwards of 5k for a motorcycle is pretty normal but spending that on a bicycle is crazy. I've been asked how much I spent on my Cervelo a few times and it's always a shock even to me sometimes.

RPS
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
so what's "it" for you? what's the thing you've spent the most on that most folks would say, "dude, you're nuts!"Rarely do threads make me think about my behavior compared to others.

Since I’m drawing a blank I must conclude that I'm not as materialistic as I thought. I like bikes but like riding more. I like cars but like road trips more. If not for concerns over the environment I’d spend most discretionary funds on road trips, combining them with cycling as much as possible.

If I had to put “it” into words it’d have to be “buying time”. I may have taken it a little too far by going from hardly ever having free time for myself to maybe having too much.

paulandmonster
05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
lets see 800.00 lunch in paris 600.00 pair of alden shoes,10000 a&k trip to egyypt. armani collectzionne suit.nikon d2h camera, audi tt roadster 225, but the joy of living with nice things priceless

vxpro
05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm going to say 25K a year for preschool and 2nd grade. That's why my garage has a VW Thing instead of a Lotus Exige.

Nathanrtaylor
05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
This
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/2945387573_5af6257bf6.jpg?v=0

and this
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2823425397_08fc1dac71.jpg?v=0

I avoided buying a road bike for a long time because I knew cycling would be the next addiction. It was/is.

DukeHorn
05-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Worth every penny it cost...especially if you know how to actually play the thing.

The sad thing is I can barely sight-read right now. Playing the Star Wars theme song or the songs of Les Mis on a Steinway is actually rather embarrassing (but the Star Spangled Banner sounds great on it). Thank goodness, my sister can hold up her end of all those piano lessons.

Sandy
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Ok- I will tell you some of the items I foolishly spent money on recently (within the last year) which I should not have:

1. A 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo in a dark deep blue color , because I really didn't like the black color of my 2008. Now my 2008 sits in the garage with a 2007 Lotus that I also never drive.

2. A Monster 696 Ducati motorcycle because I loved the red color. I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle at this time.

3. Four 52 inch plasma tvs to add to the three I already have (so that each bedroom will have a large tv).

4. A custom built 1050 square feet $14,500 dog house (with heat, light, and AC) for my American Pit Bull Terrier, King

5. Had over 11,000 square feet of wool (yes wool) carpet installed in my summer home, so that my dog would have a nice soft (and warm) spot to lie down any place in the house.

Please don't make fun of me...I know that you might think the above is a little excessive or possibly even a little over the top.....

None of the above is true, but I bet I had you going for a while, didn't I?? :)

Sandy

Charles M
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Sonofabitch!

I was going to ask you what you wanted for the Lotus if it were and Exi... Right up till the dog house. Once I saw it had no in-door toilet I know you were yankin my chain.

Tom Kellogg
05-14-2009, 01:38 PM
... no kidding. Back in the day, The Kellogg Switchboard and Equipment Company was giving Bell fits because they were so far ahead in technology. Bell stole the company out from under the founder when he was ill. It went all the way to the Supreme Court where Kellogg won, but it was too late as Bell had pretty much accomplished their monopoly by then. Kellogg continued to make phones until the late '50s. We got a pair of "Redbar" desk and wall phones made in '53. Beautiful, lovely ring. The hand pieces weigh a ton. Cloth cords. Bakelite. Dial, just like when I was a kid. Cost about what five phones cost now, but I could not be happier. Now I just need to figure out how to "press one to speak in English."

sspielman
05-14-2009, 01:43 PM
... no kidding. Back in the day, The Kellogg Switchboard and Equipment Company was giving Bell fits because they were so far ahead in technology. Bell stole the company out from under the founder when he was ill. It went all the way to the Supreme Court where Kellogg won, but it was too late as Bell had pretty much accomplished their monopoly by then. Kellogg continued to make phones until the late '50s. We got a pair of "Redbar" desk and wall phones made in '53. Beautiful, lovely ring. The hand pieces weigh a ton. Cloth cords. Bakelite. Dial, just like when I was a kid. Cost about what five phones cost now, but I could not be happier. Now I just need to figure out how to "press one to speak in English."

I have a Kellogg candlestick phone down in my basement shop....painted brass and bakelite. I feel like Barney Fife everytime I talk on it...."Sarah, get me Juanita down at the diner...."
...now I know where to send it in the unklikely event that it ever needs a repair!

Nautilus
05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I love these threads, they make me feel like so much less of a greedy consumer, but I also have my vices.

-fly fishing gear
-home audio, luckily I'm getting out of that habit (anyone want a minty headamp pico? or a hardly used set of Denon AH-D2000s?)
-BMW's
-wool clothing
-ski stuff...
-espresso machine/grinder
-tools
-dead animal flesh...

deechee
05-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I feel I spend too much on fresh pasta, fresh/wild seafood, and grainfed, free range chicken etc. Besides bikes, there isn't much space for material goods.

I probably should spend some $ on clothes so I don't continue being mistaken for a student.

Tom Kellogg
05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a Kellogg candlestick phone down in my basement shop....painted brass and bakelite. I feel like Barney Fife everytime I talk on it...."Sarah, get me Juanita down at the diner...."
...now I know where to send it in the unklikely event that it ever needs a repair!

want to get rid of your Kellogg. Let me know. They are a bit of a pain with the separate ringer and coil box, but they were the nuts back when my grandfather was a young man.

Ray
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
If I had to put “it” into words it’d have to be “buying time”. I may have taken it a little too far by going from hardly ever having free time for myself to maybe having too much.
This describes me to a T. I have pretty nice bikes and a pretty nice espresso maker, but all of my other stuff is pretty solidly middle class. I love gadgets, but I don't buy real expensive ones - I wait until they're mainstream and then buy at a discount (although I'm a little ahead of the curve on e-readers).

But I spend huge sums on time. In 1992 I took a $10,000 per year pay cut to go from working 45-50 hours a week with an hour+ round trip commute to work 35-40 hours a week with a 10 minute bike commute. Then in 2005, I basically took what's averaged out to about a $40,000 pay cut to work for myself and control my own schedule. Even in my best years, I've been able to go for a ride, go to a movie, take the dog for a long walk, read a book, whatever, just about any day I want to. Occasionally I have to work pretty hard for a few days, but for the most part, a half day is all it takes. And in this economy, I'm leaning toward "maybe having too much" time also. But I'm doing fine and don't mind too much time at all. Its all we ultimately have anyway, so I'll take all I can get.

-Ray

bmafg
05-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Time.. definitely time. Took a year off to travel with my son. Hosed my retirement plans but I wouldn't trade that time for anything.
jim

TC Johnson
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
For me it was the precision target guns I sold off to fund my bike purchases over the last couple of years. The most outrageous item was the Hammerli Free Pistol with the electronic trigger that let off the shot at the mere thought of firing (or so it seemed). That puppy was an amazing machine with true craftsmanship, down to the walnut grip that wrapped around your hand. It was a big ticket for a single shot pistol that was only good for perforating paper!

I am truly happy to say that the sale of my guns has given me entry into this wonderful pursuit at a level I couldn't have justified purely out of pocket. :D

TC

nm87710
05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
If I had to put “it” into words it’d have to be “buying time”.

+1 For my wife and I time to do what we enjoy is much more precious to us than having lots of things with little time to enjoy them.

merlinmurph
05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
My bike, a Merlin, is probably the one thing that the man-on-the-street would call over the top even though it's fairly mundane for this crowd. Other than, I guess I'm a cheap prick. :rolleyes: My TV is 13 years old and I really don't care, yet I'll think nothing of booking a week at Alta.

My latest money sinkhole is R/C sailplanes, but relatively speaking, it's small change.

If I wanted to, I could very easily get sucked into photo equipment, wood working tools, sailboats, etc., so I avoid going too far down those paths. I know some people would look at my income and cash on hand and say "Man, get out and live! Spend that wad", but I can't.

Like others, future extravagances will probably be travel with my wife. We're both 50+, have only been married for 3+ years, but have built up a pretty good library of travel stories. Not high-end stuff, just cool trips like kayak trips, ski trips, anything outdoor-related. You really do get your money's worth with a great trip.

Murph

PaMtbRider
05-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Beer and motorcycles

Beer = Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA
Motorcycles = 04 BMW R1150RS, 07 Suzuki GSXR750, 08 Honda CBR1000RR

EddieBirdsell
05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Beer and motorcycles

Beer = Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA

+ um, probably several hundred by now...

djg
05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll tell ya after we find out where the kids are going to college. I just checked the web site of my alma mater (which may or may not be the place for any of my three kids) and tuition, room, and board seems to be 49,974 per year (at least you get change back from your 50k).

I took the family to Utah for the kids' spring break. 4 days in Park City and 3 in Springdale. Stayed in nicer places than I do with the guys. Dropped cash on lessons, etc., whatever seemed to make things easy and nice (first time on skis for my 7 year-old twins). I dunno. Seemed like a splurge at times, but well worth it.