PDA

View Full Version : 11v front Ergo function

merckx
05-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Are the detents on the 11v front Ergo lever larger so that the FD cage moves a bit further than the previous 10v lever? I ask because I can't seem to get the FD cage to trim properly. I've wrenched for years, and this is frustrating me. The cage height and angle are fine, and the cable tension is good (it works better with a bit less tension than the 10v lever). However, I'm getting a bit of rub when the chain is on the 2nd largest cog and big ring. (I can't trim it out.) If I get this adjustment sorted out, then I get some rub on the outer cage of the FD when in the small cog and large ring. I'm close to stripping the guts of the lever and throwing on a down tube shifter for the FD. Any hints out there? Any good diagrams of the 11v lever overhaul? Thanks!

Dave
05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
You have the shift cable routed incorrectly. The cable goes over the left side of the metal tab, then over the clamp bolt. If it's routed between the tab and the clamp bolt, like you would an '08 FD, the function will be all fouled up. Instead of a trim click with the first click of the thumb button, the FD will shift to the little ring.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=171968

merckx
05-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the reply. I wish that I could say that I did have the cable routed incorrectly, but that is not the case. It is clamped as you describe and like the second picture in the link that you attached. As I said before, it seems like the clicks move the cage a little further than the previous Ergo iterations, and the result is the inability to fine-tune the cage position. I have not measured the cage width yet, but I assume that it is narrower than the 10v cage and that may also be the cause of the rub. Who knows.

fierte_poser
05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I installed 10spd 2009 Centaur levers on my otherwise 2006 Centaur drivetrain.

I thought it was all in my head, but the FD seems to take bigger jumps per click with the 2009 levers compared with the 2006 levers.

So...I might have noticed the same thing as you.

FWIW,
Kent

Dave
05-13-2009, 03:50 PM
After reading your post again, I checked the function of my FD and here's what I get. It takes 4 clicks to cover the full range of travel. I can use the big ring (50 in my case) with the next to largest cog and get no chain rub without trimming. If I click the thumb button once, it does move further than needed and seems to create rub on the right side of the cage. Since I don't seem to need the trim, it's not an issue for me. I also rarely spend much time in the big ring and 10th cog. I do use trim clicks in the little ring and smaller cogs.

I would suggest a little less tension on the cable and perhaps backing the big ring limit screw out just a little. There's not a whole lot of room for error. Too much and the cage will either hit the crankarm or perhaps toss the chain off to the right. The goal is to produce a smaller movement from one click of the thumb button. If this doesn't work, I can't think of any other solution, other than carefully checking the angle of the FD cage. I have the right side of the cage parallel to the teeth on the big ring.

Be sure you have pushed the thumb button all the way down before attaching the shift cable, so you're using the correct clicks. There has been a change to the total number of clicks. It's now only 6 instead of 12. No more than 7 were ever needed, for a triple crank. The shifters will still pull enough cable to operate a triple, but obviously this would be done with 6 clicks instead of 7.

My frames don't even have cable tension adjustment so I have to set the cable tension by trial and error. I usually tighten the low limit screw in about 1/2 turn more than it should be, attach the cable, then back it out to the normal low limit position. This usually provides adequate tension.

The new cage is a bit narrower, but so is the chain. I've also used an '08 10 speed FD with no problem. That might be an option.

FWIW, really short chainstays make the problem worse, but mine are only 406mm.

merckx
05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Dave,

I had already done as you suggested to take some tension out of the cable and back the big ring limit screw out a tad. These adjustments have provided the best shifting results to date. However, the 11v, in my opinion, is a half step back in front shift performance from the previous Campy product. I may yet strip the guts of the left lever and install my full-proof left down tube shifter.

Dave
05-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I'd buy a 10 speed FD and try it first. The cable attaches differently though. It goes between the metal tab and clamp bolt.

I just checked out another of my bikes with the '08 FD and ultrashift levers. I think it will work just as you desire. An '08 FD should still be easy to find.

I find the '09 FD to work just fine, since I get no chain rub in the big ring, up to the 10th cog.