PDA

View Full Version : Have bike makers gone mad?

bzbvh5
05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I saw this on Cycling News and had to comment.

I have to admit that I am amazed at how quickly, almost absurdly quickly, that prices for bikes and components have gone through the roof of late. A case in point:

A 2009 Hyundai Accent lists (no discounts mind you) for $12,745.

A new Pinarello Prince, with Super Record group and set of Zipp 404 hoops in a package discout from a reputable dealer costs $11,420.61.

Like I tell my friends. The bikes we ride are high tech racing machines straight from the factory. You can go to the bike store and get a bike just like the pros ride without too much trouble. Try to buy a race car from your local Hyundai dealer. Try to win a car race in a Hyundai. Race car engine (engine only) for a superstock for the local dirt track Saturday night racer, $17,000.

ti_boi
05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
I saw this on Cycling News and had to comment.

I have to admit that I am amazed at how quickly, almost absurdly quickly, that prices for bikes and components have gone through the roof of late. A case in point:

A 2009 Hyundai Accent lists (no discounts mind you) for $12,745.

A new Pinarello Prince, with Super Record group and set of Zipp 404 hoops in a package discout from a reputable dealer costs $11,420.61.

Like I tell my friends. The bikes we ride are high tech racing machines straight from the factory. You can go to the bike store and get a bike just like the pros ride without too much trouble. Try to buy a race car from your local Hyundai dealer. Try to win a car race in a Hyundai. Race car engine (engine only) for a superstock for the local dirt track Saturday night racer, $17,000.

That Tiburon can kick some tail tho.

Blue Jays
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
So what are you essentially driving at? :confused:
A top-of-the-line worldclass racebike is therefore more within reach than is a top-of-the-line worldclass racecar.

Pete Serotta
05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
saw a gold hand made watch (mechanical) for 43K....Value in the eye of the beholder.....as is their budget.... I will stick with my HSG!!!! :cool:

toaster
05-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Couldn't you say that $12,745 is a lot of money for a Hyundai Accent?

If you had $25,490 to spend and you bought both the Hyundai and the Pinarello Prince with the Super Record and the Zipp 404's which would you be most proud of?

...just sayin'.

Flat Out
05-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Sorry, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. YOU are the engine on your bike. The car equivalent of a bike would be a frame, body, wheels, seat, brakes, and gearbox. That's it. The rest is up to you.

ahumblecycler
05-13-2009, 06:33 AM
I say law of economics. If cyclists will pay that much then more power to the companies. Personally, I go for yesterday's stuff (e.g., DA 7800, 2008 clothing and helmets).

And my three bikes is 2.5 times the value of my car :) I should add that I have only put 92 miles on my car over the last 3.5 weeks :bike:

Tom
05-13-2009, 07:28 AM
The bike's going to last way longer and be a lot cheaper to run.

flickwet
05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Would be proud of the bike, the Hyundai? not so much.

nahtnoj
05-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Considerable progress has been made in both areas.

The Accent (a friend has one) is well put together and beyond decent as a daily transportation appliance. Just like a $500 hybrid goes about its business with consistency, durability and little fanfare.

But comparing it to a Prince? A more apt car comparison might be a Gallardo LP560. Flashly, but will be old news in relatively short order.

Ahneida Ride
05-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Relax .... It's all fed reserve (non redeemable) notes anyway ...

Private corporation shopping coupons ... :bike:

Pete Serotta
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Just as I gave for the wrap....off to ride my Bedford with the great leather wrap.... :bike: :)

Relax .... It's all fed reserve (non redeemable) notes anyway ...

Private corporation shopping coupons ... :bike:

Climb01742
05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
there are million dollar cars (see bugatti). for me, the highest priced of anything gets me to look but not buy. crazy prices are just oddities, yes?

sg8357
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
A new Pinarello Prince, with Super Record group and set of Zipp 404 hoops in a package discout from a reputable dealer costs $11,420.61.[/I].

I'll take a Marcelo with SR and regular wheels for $6690.
In the real world I'd be happy with the Chorus version for $1k less.

Dario or Martek, tough choice. :)

Scott G.

caleb
05-13-2009, 12:13 PM
there are million dollar cars (see bugatti). for me, the highest priced of anything gets me to look but not buy. crazy prices are just oddities, yes?

The difference is, I think, that the top of the bicycle market is being sold as a consumer good for the general public while cars at the top of the heap are not.

So.. I think there are at least two questions at work:

1) Why have top end bikes increased in price at such a rapid rate (i.e. 100% in a few years)?

2) Why are bicycles being successfully sold for 10k+ in a recession environment, seemingly independent of the general financial climate? Granted, Cadence in NYC has gone under, which might be a sign that the market is weakening and that the success of such marketing is declining.

tylercheung
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
sadly, though - there's probably way more engineering (mechanical, electrical, computational, chemical) that goes into the hyundai than the pinarello. They also probably make a lot more of them too (which affects the price...).

Hyundai's are top notch nowadays, I think they regularly beat out Toyota and Honda for reliability. Korean engineering has improved by leaps and bounds...case in point being Samsung and LG.