PDA

View Full Version : Campy Cassette question

BCS
05-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Other than slight weight differences (not a concern for me), are there any performance/durability differences among the 10 speed cassettes?
The price of the Mirage or Veloce cassettes are SO much lower than Chorus.

thwart
05-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I think the Mirage cassettes are plated steel. From Veloce on up, the differences are primarily some degree of weight savings. There are also (in the higher end models) some theoretical rigidity/stiffness benefits by using alloy carriers attached to the lower gear cogs. Durability seems to be unaffected, at least in my use. The highest end titanium cogs used in the Record and Super Record model line are less durable than steel, but significantly lighter.

Blue Jays
05-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I would have to double-check my info at their website, as I believe Record & Chorus are now 11-speed only while Centaur & Veloce are both 10-speed.

BCS
05-12-2009, 09:15 AM
I would have to double-check my info at their website, as I believe Record & Chorus are now 11-speed only while Centaur & Veloce are both 10-speed.

You are correct. The Campy website only has Centaur and Veloce in 10sp. There are NOS Chorus 10sp cassettes available on ebay.

MilanoTom
05-12-2009, 10:49 AM
The specifications for Campagnolo's 10-speed cassettes changed for 2009. Centaur is now the same as last year's Veloce (all loose cogs, nickel finish). Veloce is now the same as last year's Mirage (all loose cogs, galvanized finish).

Last year's Chorus and Centaur had the same finish on the cogs (nickel), but varied in how many cogs were in carriers (I think, but am not positive, that Centaur only had the two largest cogs in a carrier).

I personally don't like the galvanized finish and would question its durability. That opinion isn't based on any sort of scientific knowledge, however.

Regards,
Tom