PDA

View Full Version : OT: Raccoon

rwsaunders
05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
So I set out to trap a groundhog and a raccoon decided to take his place. He's a nasty bugger and he wants a piece of me. Any tips on how to let him loose (down the road of course) without getting bitten by this rabid beast? :confused:

Ozz
05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
'round these parts....raccoons are considered pests and when you call a company to trap them....they don't turn them loose. You might check with your local pest control companies and see what they can do for you.

Sounds like you have a raccoon in a trap? Bad luck for you. I wouldn't want to get near it while it is pissed off.

Do you have a .22? Sorry...they are nasty buggers up close.

slowgoing
05-11-2009, 06:08 PM
call animal control, they'll relocate it somewhere else.

maunahaole
05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Ring up William. He's good with rodents and other vermin.

mike p
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Submerge trap in 4 foot of water for a couple hours first, you'll find him in a much more docile mood and you'll have no problems releasing him.

Mike

texbike
05-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Submerge trap in 4 foot of water for a couple hours first, you'll find him in a much more docile mood and you'll have no problems releasing him.

Mike

LOL!!! POTD! :)

Texbike

Lifelover
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Raccoons are territorial. Relocating a rabies/distemper free animal is not always a great idea.

Learn to live with nature!

GBD
05-11-2009, 07:16 PM
It is no big deal.
I trap them all the time in my back yard and relocate them. As soon as you open the trap, they run away.
Wear leather gloves and have a stick with you just in case.
If you are relocating them and transporting in a vehicle, make sure that they cannot get out of trap, also they are pretty smelly. Pickup truck will be a good choice.

Spinner
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
... to relo the racoon because of the possible rabies issue.

just say'in.

dsteady
05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
In some cities the law is that a trapped raccoon is a dead raccoon. You might have ti check with the local animal control to see.

William
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Ring up William. He's good with rodents and other vermin.

WILLIAM!!! NO, NOT WILLIAM!!! I'm otta here!!!!

http://butikofer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/raccoon.jpg

William ;)

BryanE
05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Shoot em in the head and be done with em.
If you aren't willing to do this just maybe you shouldn't have trapped him.
They are not friendly little fuzzy animals.
Bry

rwsaunders
05-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the tip, folks...he's in a better place..... :cool:

Sandy
05-11-2009, 11:16 PM
It is true that in some locations, a raccoon that is caught would not be relocated but would be euthanized by the local animal control, probably because of potential rabies.

The raccoon was probably remarkably scared and was reacting to being caged. Probably was not rabid. The only way of telling would have been to kill it and then test it for rabies.

No way would I have killed the raccoon. It was a living, feeling animal that had the misfortune of being trapped. Now it is dead. Very sad to me.

Sandy

maunahaole
05-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Come to Hawaii, William. We have a few thousand of these waiting for you.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Yellow_mongoose_1.jpg

William
05-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Come to Hawaii, William. We have a few thousand of these waiting for you.

Ummmm, looks like chicken. :D

William

rwsaunders
05-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Fear not Sandy....the groundhog confessed and the Raccoon was put on the witness relocation program. He was told that we don't want to see his kind in these parts anymore.

Dekonick
05-12-2009, 12:17 PM
It is true that in some locations, a raccoon that is caught would not be relocated but would be euthanized by the local animal control, probably because of potential rabies.

The raccoon was probably remarkably scared and was reacting to being caged. Probably was not rabid. The only way of telling would have been to kill it and then test it for rabies.

No way would I have killed the raccoon. It was a living, feeling animal that had the misfortune of being trapped. Now it is dead. Very sad to me.

Sandy

Bro - I feel ya, but...

A racoon is a pest (living, but a pest) and vector of disease. Humane answer is to euthanize the bugger. The human (and wrong) answer is to re-locate it.

Sucks for the coon...

Lifelover
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Bro - I feel ya, but...

A racoon is a pest (living, but a pest) and vector of disease. Humane answer is to euthanize the bugger. The human (and wrong) answer is to re-locate it.

Sucks for the coon...

What is it about coons that make them a pest. I have had them living in my back yard along with my cats and dogs for years and never have had a problem.

That said, my coon trap caught one just last night.

Bad Girl!

shiftyfixedgear
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
What the hell is that critter ?

Mongoose ?

maunahaole
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
yup. mongoose.

beungood
05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
What is that?

beungood
05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Ive had to deal with them at work nasty is an understatement! It takes a couple of 9mm or 40's to put them down. A 12 guage works quite nicely in a pinch.

steelrider
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM

Sandy
+ 1

thejen12
05-13-2009, 10:35 AM
What I did in a similar situation was to go to the gate in my fence, and put the trap with the opening facing outside the gate and I'm on the inside of the gate and the gate is open just wide enough to accommodate the trap. On my side of the gate is my house and yard, on the outside of the gate is a lovely creek with lots of trees and bushes, etc. Open the trap, and the 'coon disappears into the creek area without a trace in about one second.

Jenn

csm
05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
yup. mongoose.

when I was stationed in HI, we used to catch the mongoose. they have some sharp teeth. I should say we caught one and discovered the teeth.
they like to eat mre peanut butter.