PDA

View Full Version : Boonen and Specialized

LegendRider
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
What would you do if you were making marketing decisions for Specialized?

Climb01742
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
not do a white, powder coated model?

BumbleBeeDave
05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
. . . consult with company bigwigs--in other words, my bosses--and see what they want to do. I would personally recommend pulling all ads that can be pulled that involve Boonen and replace them--for the moment--with ads that feature someone a bit less, ah, controversial. Then wait a couple of weeks and see how the story plays out. What next depends on what both the team and Boonen do and say.

BBD

duke
05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I would send him packing. First time was a mistake. Second time is a f. up.
duke

Birddog
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Put him on a rebadged CCKMP and keep quiet.

Birddog

Climb01742
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Put him on a rebadged CCKMP and keep quiet.

:beer:

itsflantastic
05-11-2009, 05:15 PM

OK - that was good :D

jimp1234
05-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd rent some movies from the seventies from Netflix. How about "Superfly" and "Snow Job" ??? :D

wasfast
05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm predicting "leprosy" for Boonen and sponsors go the other way. Sad but likely true. At least he didn't claim the test was flawed.

Elefantino
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Depends on what he does. If he comes out with a massive mea culpa and vows to help fight drug abuse/use, embrace him.

If he grins and sneezes, dump him.

The best Quick Step could do is ... fine him?

What is that ... double-secret probation?

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/12/14/1134594035_4687.jpg

texbike
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
What would you do if you were making marketing decisions for Specialized?

I would create a limited-edition, PE model Tarmac (PE=Pablo Escobar) that would combine Columbia's national colors with white lines down the top tube.

OR

Sponsor a prison race series with Boonen as the lead. Sort of like cycling's version of a prison rodeo or "The Longest Yard". :)

Texbike

learlove
05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I would create a limited-edition, PE model Tarmac (PE=Pablo Escobar) that would combine Columbia's national colors with white lines down the top tube.

I think the euro boys get their nose candy from SE asia. Say Cambodia or Laos abouts. Thoes low visibility subs cant make it from Bogota around the tip of south america and across the atlantic anyway - atleast not yet.

Just name it the "Colonel Mao Vin Puc" model but keep the white lines on the top tube (I really like that idea). After they sand the frame after it comes out of the mold they can leave the dust on it and clear coat over it for effect. Maybe even engineer some compartments down near the oversize bb30 bottom bracket to carry a few small viles of cocaine. Better yet since its manufactured in asia anyway just send it by Laos and have them fill the frame with cocaine. Maybe it will give a nice vibration dampening quality over the cobbles.

learlove
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
guess this who deal brings new meaning to Boonen "leaving his competition in the dust".

Instead of a 2 km to go banner, Boonen sees a 2 kilo to go banner.

I know, don't quit my day job...

Walter
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
duke

Actually..the third time. They all sat on the news of a prior dirty coke test from '07 that they received in December of '08. His publicized positive was from the Spring of '08.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/may09/may11news2

I am surprised that the Team is keeping him in this tough, sponsorless economy and with the negative baggage and huge distraction this is. http://roadbikeaction.com/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=69&cid=1545

Z3c
05-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Post of the month..

Really- concise yet thorough.

Keith A
05-11-2009, 09:50 PM
dukeLooks like this is actually number three...from CyclingNews...

"Tom Boonen's positive doping control for cocaine announced last week was his third, one more than originally believed for the drug. The Belgian's first positive test for cocaine and ecstasy, only now made public, was in November 2007."

rdparadise
05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
It seems Boonen likes the snow almost as much as Ullrich. Too bad for him. I can't believe his explanation, what crap. "I think I have a drinking problem." Oh really, only now you admit it. God, these types of guys piss me off.

And yes, if I was Quick Step and Specialized, he would be fired for sure. I can't believe they are standing behind him.

Bob

fourflys
05-12-2009, 10:46 AM
And yes, if I was Quick Step and Specialized, he would be fired for sure. I can't believe they are standing behind him.

Bob

Not saying it's right, but what if Lance had a positive test ot two back in '04 or '05...do you think Discovery or Trek would have let him go? Boonen is the biggest superstar in Belgium right now, QuickStep is a Belgian company and Specialized is backing a multiple winner.... (plus I think Europe has a different take on social drug use then us...)

Agian, not saying it's right, but money talks LOUDLY...

CNY rider
05-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I can't believe his explanation, what crap. "I think I have a drinking problem."

Bob

He was thinking of blaming his unborn twin for taking the coke but that one was already used before.

93legendti
05-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I'd rent some movies from the seventies from Netflix. How about "Superfly" and "Snow Job" ??? :D
Scarface.

alancw3
05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
three strikes. i'd fire him and never look back if i were specialized. but hey do i think they will do that? probably not. like someone else stated it's all about the money.

BdaGhisallo
05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
They'll "discipline" him in some manner but it won't amount to anything really. Boonen is LeFevre's ticket. Sure he's got Devolder, but he's no superstar like Tom is.

I think someone mentioned it already, but this is not a sporting violation so the UCI should feck off about it and leave it to the civil authorities to deal with.

Climb01742
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
is it the doing of the blow that bugs you most, or is it what he puts at risk by doing blow, or his excuses/rationales for doing blow?

i'd guess that most of us have -- how shall i put this? -- strayed from the straight and narrow. but i never put a job at risk doing it. and i copped to it. i'm trying to sort out my reactions to all this. but i am having a kinda hard time feeling terribly outraged. i've been lucky that most of my mistakes have been private ones.

so in your eyes, what are you most bugged about?

cmg
05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
what are you most bugged about?

Boonen acts like a victim. he did admit that he has a weakness for the party and after a few too many he makes bad choices. can't fool a hair sample though. sad to see him self destruct with the talent that most would envy.

jhcakilmer
05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
He definitely should be fired, at the very least for being a dumbass. Seriously....cocaine + cycling = death
Chronic use increases the risk of...
- stroke
- MI
- host of lung complications
....to name a few....

I can't believe he's tested positive 3 times, so doesn't the UCI levy punishments for recreational drugs? About the only thing worse is heroin.