PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Jacket

mso
12-28-2004, 03:51 PM
I need help from some of you experienced cold weather riders. Moving to Prescott, AZ and plan on riding in temps as low as 35F plus the wind chill factor. I weigh a heafty 112lbs and get cold real easy. What jackets currently on the market would you recommend? Remember sizing is an issue in that I need them to run on the Small side.

Len J
12-28-2004, 04:01 PM
I need help from some of you experienced cold weather riders. Moving to Prescott, AZ and plan on riding in temps as low as 35F plus the wind chill factor. I weigh a heafty 112lbs and get cold real easy. What jackets currently on the market would you recommend? Remember sizing is an issue in that I need them to run on the Small side.

Especially their cold weather gear. They are expensive but they wear like iron and I figure that I'd spend way more thn that for a winter jacket that I'd rarely wear as long as I wear my winter riding gear.

I have an Airblock Jacket with the winstopper in the front but breathable in the back. I can wear it with a baselayer only and bib tights down to around 30.

Assos tend to run on the small side. I'd find a store with them, try a size and then go from there.

Len

mso
12-28-2004, 06:37 PM
I've seen the 2004 Airblock on sale, sounds like it might be a good option. Looks like they made some changes to the 2005 version, but along with the changes so goes the price, and it was "UP". When you're riding in the 30's what type of layering are you using? By that I mean a windstopper type or standard craft midweight.

Thanks

Len J
12-28-2004, 06:52 PM
I've seen the 2004 Airblock on sale, sounds like it might be a good option. Looks like they made some changes to the 2005 version, but along with the changes so goes the price, and it was "UP". When you're riding in the 30's what type of layering are you using? By that I mean a windstopper type or standard craft midweight.

Thanks

I posted this in a previous thread on winter riding.

You can get some good "Buy it now" prices on e-bay, but you need to be sure about your size. I've bought from these guys with good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36130&item=7123906874&rd=1

Rule of thumb is that you should be slightly cold for the first 15 minutes or so, or you will be overdressed when you start to work harder.

Experiment. Keep track of what works at different temperatures. Layer so you can take things off if you are too hot and/or open zippers.

Me:

1.) 50 to 70 light tights over bib shorts, base layer with long sleeve cycling jersey, skull cap, wool socks w/o shoe covers. very light weight gloves

2.) 40 to 50. slightly heavier tights over bib shorts, base layer with winter weight cycling jersey/jacket. Belaclava over ear band. wool socks with shoe covers. medium weight wind bloc gloves.

3.) 30 to 40 Heavy weight wind bloc tights over bib shorts. base layer, long sleeve cycling jersey, winter weight jersey/jacket. Belaclava over ear band, helmet cover. wool socks, winter shoes with shoe covers. Medium weight wind bloc gloves with liners.

4.) 15 to 30 Same as 3.) with silk underwear under tights and one more layer under jacket. Heavy weight lobster gloves.

5.) Below 15....stay home and use the trainer.

Temps I am quoteing are standing wind chills. remember, moving at 18 thru the wind will lower the wind chill for you.

Yesterday it was 28 with sustained 20+ mph winds. Gusts to 30. Standing wind chills in single digits. Too dangerous to ride IMO.

You have to figure out what works for you.

Len

PS, figuring it out sure beats the trainer.

93legendti
12-28-2004, 07:27 PM
My Pearl Izumi Barrier jacket with 2 winter jerseys keeps me warm on the rides I do, even those below 10 degrees.

jhurwitz
12-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Asso Gatorback is the top riding jacket (but they are expensive: $329.00).

mso
01-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the following jackets:

Santini Breezewall,Breezewall Extreme or Hibok

Castelli Mitro

De Marchi Contour

shaq-d
01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
in my opinion any wind and waterproof cycling jacket with pitzips is a good jacket. they are usually light and thin. all you need to do, then, is vary your inside layers with thicker or thinner layers, less or more, depending on the temperature.

sd

coylifut
01-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Make sure to take a look at the offering from Craft. Great quality, nicely priced.

Ozz
01-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Greg Jacket and Mito Jacket...I think the Greg is a warmer

The Mito looks like a good jacket down to about freezing - with layers underneath and has lots of reflective material on it.

The Descente Element jacket looks like a winner also for a little warmer weather (down to 40) and is nicely ventilated.

I have never been a fan of a heavy, warm jacket, and much prefer multiple layers and a wind blocking layer if really cold.

JackL
01-07-2005, 05:54 PM
In cold weather, my toes, hands, crotch, and ears get cold before my torso. For my feet, I use neoprene toe covers under windproof booties. My hands, lobster gloves. Crotch, I don't usually notice how cold it is until I get home, but I knew someone who would stuff a potholder down the front of his shorts. Ears, I have some triangular thingies that velcro to my helmet straps.

JackL