PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Wheel Storage Needed-Need Your Help

weatherman
05-10-2009, 09:46 PM
So I could use some ideas--built a new bike rack in the garage and need some ideas for front wheel storage. My initial thought was to store the bikes with the front wheels on, but turns out I have a bit less space than I anticipated not to mention I hadn't figured just how much horizontal space 29" wheeled mountain bikes (large frames) would take up when hung like this!

Anyway, I like the rack setup and it gets 7 bikes into a nice convenient location in the garage, but as you can see from my photo I now have lots of front wheels (and a couple extra wheelsets) floating around. I would like to solicit this group for ideas/suggestions on how to manage all these wheels. I will be storing 2 29" wheeled mtb wheels, 1 26" wheeled mtb wheel, 2 700 c road wheels, 1 full set 700c cross wheels, 1 700c track front wheel. (Perhaps an occasional extra wheelset here/there--guess I have a wheel "problem".)

Photo below shows my current setup--thanks for any suggestions/advice you folks have to offer.

dogdriver
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Send me the Mooto-x 29er and build a wheel rack in the open space. In fact, I'll come to your house and build it for you.

Seriously, how about those 12" rack supports available at your local Home Depot that screw into wall studs? They'll take 3 wheels each no problem.

Or, have you considered raising the entire structure high enough that you don't have a problem? A pain, to be sure, but then you'd be done.

Cheers, Chris

konstantkarma
05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
It looks like you should have enough room between each rear wheel on the hanging bikes to install another hook. That would allow you to hang wheels parallel to the bikes, and take care of 1-2 wheels per additional hook.

You could also hang 1 wheel per bike on the lower pedal. I do this in my garage.

gman
05-11-2009, 06:44 AM
I have a system I have used in my past three homes over the last 15 years - hanging from the ceiling by hooks without screwing dozens of hooks all over the ceiling of the garage.

I get two 2x4 pieces of lumber and the big vinyl coated bike hooks. I lay them flat on the ground, drill pilot holes every 12 inches and put a hook in each one of the holes.

I drill one 3/8 inch hole through the board in the center of the span.

I find a ceiling joist that would be in the center of the span of the 2x4 and drill a 3/16 inch hole.

Holding the board to the ceiling I use a 3/8" x 4" lag screw and bolt in in the center hole to hold it there while drill the same sets of holes in each end of the board to ensure I hit a joist and put lag screws in both ends.

I then put a half dozen long drywall screws through the board at each of the other joists across the span.

Repeat steps above for the other wheel hook.

This configuration allows for one bike on every other hook hung upsided down by it's wheels with a hook in between each bike to store another set of wheels. See photo below:

Birddog
05-11-2009, 07:59 AM
These work for me
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=267962-46880-079325777607
4 wheels per device.
Birddog

weatherman
05-11-2009, 08:54 AM
These work for me
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=267962-46880-079325777607
4 wheels per device.
Birddog

Great suggestions so far folks (that is beyond giving away my MootoX--if you look hard, there is a MootoX-YBB hanging back there as well, with gears (the hardtail is a singlespeed).

Anyway, keep'em coming. This Lowes hook idea is nice and simple, I am liking that lots. Have thought about more hooks on the rack for front wheels per comment above--only fear there is stuff gets so tight you can't remove bikes very easily. My week typically involves at least one road bike outing, one mtb outing and perhaps a cross ride out on the dirt/gravel south of my place so I am trying to keep the rack as functional as possible.

Thanks again folks, please keep the comments coming!

:beer:

znfdl
05-11-2009, 09:01 AM
If you send me your address, I can make plenty of room for your front wheels.

weatherman
05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
If you send me your address, I can make plenty of room for your front wheels.

Once you draw my entry for the new frameset raffle!! :)

EddieBirdsell
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Throw a cinder block under each side for some added height, and keep the wheels on. I think they go for a little more than a buck each.

I believe standard size is 8"x8"x20", but your local hardware store should also carry the 8"x12"x20" variety.

Provided a cheap and easy way to loft beds back in college.

znfdl
05-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Once you draw my entry for the new frameset raffle!! :)

I am hoping that all tickets will be gone by memorial day and then someone can really celebrate over the three day weekend.

Szazbo
01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I recently came across a shop that was going out of business and they had the coolest wheel rack machined out of aluminum. I purchased the rack that was made for 9 pairs of wheels. Each arm has 2 slots machined in it with the inner slot the diameter of a front wheel axle and outer slot the width of the rear axle. Spacing of the arms alternates between 100mm for the front and 130mm for the rear. Keeps it nice and compact. I cut it in half for 4 pairs and mounted to a shelving system to add more storage. Very cool. Also there is a new company on the market http://wheelzrack.com/ that makes a commercial version. I am selling the other half of my rack for $130 + shipping.