PDA

View Full Version : Introduction:

Ken R
05-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello, I'm Ken from Dallas. Cat-3 license holder, still ride a lot but haven't raced in several years. Bought my first Serotta 10 years ago. Getting my second (Legebd Ti) next week (scheduled delivery). Been anxiously awaiting its arrival for about 9 weeks.

In the interim, I've been riding my daughter's 1986 Bradley. It's 4cm too short for me, my knees hit the handlebars, my shoes hit the front wheel. It's a heavy (24.5 pounds) 7-speed (I'm used to 10) with down-tube shifters and BioPace crankset.

Oh boy, I'll be glad to be back on my own bicycle. Been training extensively for the past 3 months; up to 220 miles a week, all hard miles and hill repeats.

The original Serotta had a quill-type front fork. But I've upgraded to a new carbon fork and threadless stem for the new one. Even bought a new Carbon Fiber handlebar that has the fatter center section. It'd be cool if the bike would weigh-out at less than 20 pounds.

Found this forum last week; didn't know it existed before. So, I've been catching up. Thanks for the information.

RATS! Submitted this post and discovered the "Who are you" sticky. In other forums, it's a "Introduction" forum all of its own.
Sorry. Moderator, please move my post to the Who are you thread if you see it.

Keith A
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Welcome aboard :)

BumbleBeeDave
05-09-2009, 08:00 PM
You're just fine here. Welcome to the forum, and take everything Keith A says with a grain of salt. He's quite old, suffering a bit of dementia, and has a very active fantasy life. At times you may see him posting photos here and claiming he's a surfer of some renown . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

chuckroast
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Ken, welcome back to the sport. You'll find it's just like riding a.....wait a minute.

Ahneida Ride
05-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Welcome ...

Here you will find nice young men in their clean white coats ...

and they are coming to take me away !!! he he ha ha ho ho.. :banana:

rwsaunders
05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the lunatic fringe, Ken. We need pics of the Serottas too..... :cool:

Keith A
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
You're just fine here. Welcome to the forum, and take everything Keith A says with a grain of salt. He's quite old, suffering a bit of dementia, and has a very active fantasy life. At times you may see him posting photos here and claiming he's a surfer of some renown . . . :rolleyes: Ken -- Just remember who has the full zebra kit and bike :D It ain't me...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=56063&stc=1

Lifelover
05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
You will love the Legend. Please post pics when you get it.

Ken R
05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Anxiously waiting the arrival of the new Serotta. Meanwhile, I have memories of my original. It was an off the shelf, not custom fitted like the new one will be. But I adapted to it (and it to me) very well.

So here is a picture of the old Serotta Legend Ti.

Click (http://www.kenandjudy.us/Bicycling/kencycling.jpg)

Maybe by Friday, I'll have a picture of the new one.

Ray
05-11-2009, 03:10 AM
So here is a picture of the old Serotta Legend Ti.

Click (http://www.kenandjudy.us/Bicycling/kencycling.jpg)

Maybe by Friday, I'll have a picture of the new one.
Wow - red rim to match the red front of the bike and silver to match the bare ti in back. NICE TOUCH!

What happened to the old one? How come you're not riding that while you wait for the new one?

-Ray

jlwdm
05-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Ken:

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few riders on the forum from the DFW area. One of these days we are going to have to organize a Serotta ride in the area.

I know there are a bunch of riders around the general Grapevine area - I am a little west of Grapevine.

Enjoy the Legend Ti it is really revered on this forum. I have never ridden one myself.

Jeff

dogdriver
05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
It'd be cool if the bike would weigh-out at less than 20 pounds.

[/B]

Betcha it will be sub-17 lbs.

I just finished a Moots Ti road bike that replaced a Legend SE which, alas, never fit quite right. Built the Vamoots with good stuff, but all bits chosen for reliability and durability rather than weight. The whole thing, including pedals, is 16lb 8oz, and I think that the Legend frame is lighter.

BumbleBeeDave
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Just keep in mind that Keith has done a few, uh, not so wise things out there, too! :D

BBD

Ken R
05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow - red rim to match the red front of the bike and silver to match the bare ti in back. NICE TOUCH!

What happened to the old one? How come you're not riding that while you wait for the new one?

-Ray

My original Legend Ti broke tubes at the bottom bracket. I guess it's o.k. to mention that on their forum. I was devastated to discover the crack(s). A new bicycle was not in the budget at all.

They're replacing it under their Lifetime Warranty! They also insisted that I get a custom fit . . . . something I've never had before. I'm truly excited about the new bike. It'll have threadless fork, my original had regular quill type. It'll have Carbon Fiber seat stays, too.

I AM riding. 3,000 miles so far this year with 2,200 of the miles on my daughter's old bicycle. It's a 1986 53cm "Bradley Criterium" with Shimano 105, Bio-pace cranks, 38cm handlebars, and 7-speed downtube shifters. I have to be careful or my knees hit the handlebars when I get out of the saddle. Also have to be careful to have the front wheel turned the right way in a track-stand or a very slow-speed turn; or my shoes hit the front wheel. :rolleyes:

It weighs 24.5 pounds! It's really hard to get up the hills . . . .especially when I get caught in the wrong gear compared to everyone else.

I'd forgotten what cycling was like 23 years ago. Oh, I'll be so glad to get on my own bike again.

Ken R
05-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Ken:

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few riders on the forum from the DFW area. One of these days we are going to have to organize a Serotta ride in the area.

I know there are a bunch of riders around the general Grapevine area - I am a little west of Grapevine.

Enjoy the Legend Ti it is really revered on this forum. I have never ridden one myself.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff.

I started out on a Tomassini (or Tomaso, I forget which) in 1985. Then I got the second Merlin to hit Dallas. Raced it for eleven years before seeing a Serotta at the Hotter than Hell event in Wichita Falls. I just had to have one. Bought it in 1998, but my wife wouldn't let me even see it when it arrived until Christmas Day. People scoffed at me for paying $5K for a bicycle back then. I'm getting the last laugh. :p :D :D :D

onekgguy
05-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Ken,

Welcome to the forum. You're going to enjoy your new ride even more since you've been logging so many miles on your daughter's tank. Enjoy.

Kevin g