PDA

View Full Version : quan-dree: eastern woods or gall-zetty

norman neville
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
i have a bit of quandry and 2 grand to piss away. i'm not sure which one i'd rather have now, knowing that i wouldn't use either for its pure, intended purpose, though i would use and abuse either one: a new, disc-brake eastern woods reseach original woods frame or one of craig's road frames.

frame fork headset price is about the same, so that's not it. the ewr calls to me and i'd love to get a brand new fox fork to bash, but craig's frames are wicked silly in the best ways.

i'm a bit peckish with my broken wrist and all making everything a huge pain in the butt and my shoulder refusing quiet down for another decade during this hugely annoying time of year. it's going to be a short riding season for me this year now, and i'm not sure how i'd like to close it.

we'll see.

supposedly sachs is getting a craig; if weigle gets one, that decides it.

Smiley
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
supposedly sachs is getting a craig; if weigle gets one, that decides it.

If they pay anything towards these frames that should seal the deal for U right :)

old fat man
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
my old lbs owner still has his late 90's woods. i've made him promise to leave it to me in his will. those bikes are so fun especially with modern luxuries like disc brakes.

Matt-H
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I purchased a bike from Craig and found him to be professional, patient, and informative. I have no doubt he has put the same level of professionalism and knowledge into his new endeavour, and a Sachs endorsement certainly suggests the same. Doesn't hurt that the bikes look great, either.

I have known Jay since we were young, and he is a brilliant rider and incredible person. His bikes are Bilenky-built killers of tight and twisty singletrack and his frames are receiving some serious praise.

But you obviously know all of this. I wish I had your problem right about now...

Good luck - you can't lose!

Sandy
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I think you may be placing too much emphasis on who else might be purchasing one of these two bikes. Why is that so important? Isn't one bike an aggressively designed mountain bike, with a superb reputation, and the other a newly developed aggressively designed road bike, that has already received superlative comments from some? I would think the more logical/reasonable/rational choice would be to look at what bikes you own and ride, what disciplines you ride in, how often you think you might use either bike, and how either of these bikes would complement what you already have.

You are riding the bike, not someone else.

Fit/geometry- specifications must be considered too.

Snail Slow Serotta Sandy

norman neville
05-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I think you may be placing too much emphasis on who else might be purchasing one of these two bikes.

i meant that if weigle gets one, too, then i'll get the mountain bike.

see, sachses and weigles-es are somewhat common here, since they are both local cats. and i was only kidding. plus i missed my chance to add to the original thread BUT RICHARD SACHS IS GETTING ONE!! RICHARD SACHS IS GETTING ONE SO YOU MUST GET ONE TOO!!! HE'S BETTER THAN YOU!!!!

now that would not have been nice, but it sort of would have fit in with the 2 disparate tones of that original thread. :crap: :crap: :crap:

i kid richard. he seems like a good guy. he's living the dream, and that's cool.

anywho, it is a fun dilemma. they are both fine bikes i'm sure, and both could fit me pretty well. the new geo of the ewr works so much better for me than the old one, and disc brakes are a huge boon. either way it will be fun to have a new, neato toy. one thing that gets me about the gall-zetty, though is the bb30 shell. i get it from a fabrication standpoint; i'd love to weld those huge tubes onto a bigger cylinder, but as a bike owner, i'm not sure that it is the best choice right now. most of the bb's seem kinda suspect. also stops me from building a gall-zetty with a used nuovo record gruppo...

Sandy
05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Love your enthusiasm. No matter which one you choose, I think you will have a great deal of fun and satisfaction riding it.

Enjoy your choice, whichever it is.

Sandy

Auk
05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
You can use an insert to allow use of a standard type of BB with the Gaulzetti. Same type of insert available for Cannondale, Jamis, et al.