PDA

View Full Version : Can you say "dumba$$"?

gman
05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Boonen tests positive for cocaine, AGAIN!

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23000&ATCLID=3735903

rockdude
05-09-2009, 08:41 AM
He loves taking a ride on the Cocaine highway...

sjbraun
05-09-2009, 08:43 AM
It is sad. Here's what I don't understand when celebs go bad. These guys makes tons of money for themselves and their handlers, agents, PR firms, and sponsors. Why don't the handlers watch their golden geese more closely?
I'd think they would have a pretty strong economic incentive to make sure TB (and Michael Jackson for that matter,) stay clean.

gearguywb
05-09-2009, 08:59 AM
What a shame from such a good rider. I am waiting for the first article comparing Boonen to Pantani.

William
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM
It is sad. Here's what I don't understand when celebs go bad. These guys makes tons of money for themselves and their handlers, agents, PR firms, and sponsors. Why don't the handlers watch their golden geese more closely?
I'd think they would have a pretty strong economic incentive to make sure TB (and Michael Jackson for that matter,) stay clean.

Too many "yes" men surrounding them?

William

pdbrye
05-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Sad, really.

MilanoTom
05-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Too many "yes" men surrounding them?

William

I think you're right on target. From government leaders on down (or up, depending on one's perspective), the "bigger" they are, the more they begin to, and eventually totally, believe the hype. It gets to be a circular logic for them.... if it was wrong, I wouldn't do it, because I never do anything that's wrong.

Regards,
Tom

ahumblecycler
05-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Truly sad, a great cyclist and a joy to watch.

Addictions are terrible, and it takes a lot of motivation to quit. It is even harder for celebs/pro athletes for two main reasons IMO. First, people quit because it ruins there success. However, Boonen has continued to perform at a high level and his ban last year did not hurt his ability to compete. Second, people quit due to economic reasons and he does not suffer from that problem. If neither area is threatened by his latest ban, he will continue to use cocaine until another reason emerges. I just hope the reason emerges before everything falls down around him.

Climb01742
05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
a strong body doesn't always go with a strong heart/spirit. maybe there's some inner weight he can't carry or some expectations he can't meet. being the most famous athlete in a country can't be easy.

or he could just be a dumb@ss.

i've always liked him, so in an odd way, i hope he did this out of a torment he can get help for, and not an arrogance there's no cure or excuse for.

Ray
05-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I always read comments like in this thread with real mixed feelings. Coke is bad ****e and I'd never recommend that anyone use it.

BUT...

Someone who does a bit of blow at a party every now and then is not necessarily an addict or tormented or tortured. Given the line of work he's in and the near certainty of getting caught, its none too bright, but that might be the extent of it. I know a lot of people who used Coke recreationally back in the late '70s and early '80s (at about the age Boonen is now) and they're all doing just fine and were doing ok then too. I knew a couple of guys who got into really serious trouble with it too, but they were the sad exception. I tried it a few times and might have done it more except for underlying sinus problems that made snorting ANYthing a really really bad idea.

Boonen may have huge problems, he may be weak, he may be struggling with addiction, he may be tortured and tormented. And if so, I wish him the best in coping. But none of those things may be true also. He may just be a really talented guy who has both the fortune and misfortune to be growing up in public. I hope this doesn't ruin his career if that's all it is.

-Ray

Climb01742
05-09-2009, 12:08 PM
ray,

i admit that any "analysis" from afar is little more than guess work, but given what's at stake for tom, and given that this is his second incident, and given that he took the coke in season when he knew he's almost surely be tested, and given that he's often talked about the pressure he feels to live up to expectations...

it seems psychology may be more at play here than recreation. but who knows? but regardless of the cause, i think we'd both agree that for such a talented rider to put himself in this position is, at the very least, sad.

years ago, a girl friend of mine had two things warring her: a big talent for painting and a even bigger taste for heroin. sad.

sjbraun
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Wasn't he on probation from his last offence?
Could this mean jail time for TB?

dekindy
05-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't know anything about cocaine or drug tests. I am told that cocaine is only detectable if you have used recently, like within a day or two at most prior to the test. So to test positive implies that it is highly unlikely that you are a casual user. Is this correct?

Smiley
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Len Bias, probably the greatest player to come from The University of Maryland and gets drafted #2 overall and that freaking night dies of a drug over dose. The Celtics were never the same since that death and appear to be recovered by now, what 20 plus years later.

William
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Boonen told a Belgian television station: "For 364 days it goes perfectly, but the one day I drink too much I change.

"I will seek help. Someone must teach me to understand what happens when I drink too much."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/8041462.stm

William

majorpat
05-09-2009, 03:09 PM
What a donkey! Guess winning P-R a couple times in a row isn't enough of a high.

As for me? I just administered a beat down to my buddy on our 20 mile after work loop...where's the blow!!

Elefantino
05-09-2009, 05:57 PM
If he's not an addict, he's an idiot.

Duh. You already got popped once. You're one of the highest profile athletes in the world.

Dude.

OnceFast
05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
There are so many guys/girls Boonen's age doing the right thing and training hard for the sheer love of their sport, including sports that will never get the recognition of cycling, that it's very hard to feel any symapathy for this schmuck.

Ray
05-10-2009, 05:42 AM
If he's not an addict, he's an idiot.

Duh. You already got popped once. You're one of the highest profile athletes in the world.

Dude.
I think that's right. He's either got a real problem or he made a REALLY stupid mistake.

The only thing I was objecting to earlier is the dismissive attitude people take when a guy frucks up. Being hugely talented and being human are not mutually exclusive. All of us do some really stupid things in our youth (although Boonen is, what, 28 now, so maybe the 'youth' thing is running out of steam), but the vast majority of us do them in relative anonymity and are able to move past them without the whole world judging us on them. And go on to lead very fine, productive lives.

Boonen, by all accounts, is a really good guy. He's obviously overwhelmingly talented. He may have a really serious problem, in which case he needs help and I hope he gets it. Or he may have just really screwed up. No excuses - really bad and stupid mistake. But the judgments about his overall character based on this incident (and the one before) just seem harsh to me. He'll obviously have plenty of consequences to deal with. If William's quote is right, his lack of judgment after he's had a few isn't all that uncommon. He may have more of a problem with booze than with coke. It may be that after trading the typical youth for one of intensely devoted and regimented training, diet, and racing, that he just blows out every now and then and goes too far. Happened to me a few times when young and I didn't have anything LIKE the pressures in my life that he does. But nobody noticed with me - I got up the next day, went back to work, assessed the situation and vowed not to make the same mistake again. But occasionally I did and it took a few times before I stopped making that particular mistake.

He blew it. I just don't get the lack of compassion on the part of us mere mortals. We really expect our gods to be gods, no?

-Ray

ahumblecycler
05-10-2009, 09:44 AM
The only thing I was objecting to earlier is the dismissive attitude people take when a guy frucks up.

I always take a neutral attitude to people's correct and incorrect decisions. Why? Simply put, I cannot change the past, and I can only work to make my future (and those I love/cherish) better. Please do not mistake my attitude for "forgiveness" or a "free pass"; believe me, I do not feel that way.

flickwet
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
heard about it and told me "what an dumba$$". Don't think for a moment that its just human nature for some. When I was that age I did some of that and agree with Ray, however I didn't carry the mantle Boonen does, I hate to quote a comic strip movie but "with great power comes great responsibility" Our hometown hero sure has demonstrated it, Go LeBron! go Cavs! Boonen has had every advantage blessed with enormous natural talent and ...I am really disappointed that's all