PDA

View Full Version : Which powertap to get?

mtb_frk
05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I am thinking about getting a powertap to train for the upcoming cross season. Is the SL+ worth the extra cash over the pro+? About the only difference I see is the weight and the axle is bigger on the SL. I am not going to build up with some bling carbon rims or anything, and will probably just use it for training, not for racing.
Can you get just the hub? I want to use it with a edge 705 and dont need the powertap head unit.

thanks.

jbrainin
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
According to my LBS, you save $200 buying the hub by itself.

djg
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Not sure -- all these models are fairly new and I don't really know what practical difference the larger axle makes. I got the SL+ as a fee upgrade -- long story. But the Pro + looks like a relatively good value in that you get basically all the functionality of the SL+ at a pretty hefty savings and a pretty minor weight penalty (same functionality as the ceramic one too and that's way more expensive).

simple
05-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Give the Quarq some serious consideration, I moved from PowerTap to the Quarq and love it. Zero issues with dropouts, calibration, moisture, etc. Pairing with the Garmin 705 is silly easy.

jbrainin
05-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Quarq looks like a good option for me once they make a product compatible with current generation compact cranks. I suspect they'll have something I can use next year.

mtb_frk
05-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I guess one of the things I like with the PT is that I can change between my bikes.
If I end up getting one I think I will go for the PRO. Doesnt sound like there is much of a difference. Now I just need to decide if I really want one or not.