PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Open House

hooverone
12-27-2004, 09:05 PM
What is the date/dates this year of Serotta's open house?

Jim

BumbleBeeDave
12-27-2004, 09:34 PM
. . . but I doubt we will find out for several more months. But the quicker they set a date the better. With child custody, summer academic camp, and vacation issues, every summer for me has become a planning ballet akin to organizing D-Day! . . . Or maybe I should say “BBD-Day!”

BBDave

shinomaster
12-27-2004, 09:48 PM
what is more fun the TDFL or open house?

hooverone
12-27-2004, 10:11 PM
What was the date of the Serotta open house last year?

Jim

BumbleBeeDave
12-28-2004, 06:23 AM
. . . June 10-11. The previous year the date was changed a couple of times within September, but ended up, as I remember, I believe the weekend after Labor Day. (But don’t quote me!) The original grand opening was in Early October 2002.

There were several threads here about this past summer’s event. Early June seemed to work well for me, but a common problem seemed to be that many people plan their summers way ahead, with vacations and kid stuff. The earlier they set the date this year, the better for all, I think.

Of course, that’s assuming they’re gonna have one this next year . . .

BBDave

Climb01742
12-28-2004, 06:50 AM
and the weather in june was great. this year, if possible, i might come a few days early...the roads were great for riding and it might be nice to explore a bit...plus, of course, get a look at the race route for the clash of titans :rolleyes: the sandy-climb duel in the sun! :beer:

Bill Bove
12-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Watch out Climb!!! I've heard Sandy has offered Kevan some free doggie sitting time in exchange for him striking your knee with a club.

BumbleBeeDave
12-28-2004, 10:17 AM
. . . we will be treated to the sight of Climb writhing on the ground in front of Serotta Alyson screaming, Why me! Why me!" . . . :eek:

BBDave

Bruce K
12-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Does that mean Serotta Alyson will then begin to cry in front of everyone when her shoelace breaks? :confused:

Will she make a subsequent appearance on Celebrity Boxing? :no:

BBDave once again your sense of humor is getting you in trouble! :D

BK

dbrk
12-29-2004, 11:54 AM
The TdFL has been mentioned in this thread and my comments may well warrant another, new thread. But because there has been a "comparison" suggested, I think I would like simply to think aloud with my friends. I have been thinking alot about gathering here in the Finger Lakes again for a ride, what we have affectionately termed the Tour de Finger Lakes. You will permit me a little history first?

This idea of a group Forum ignited ride was initiated by our pal Mavic1010 who suggested that we all come to my house to check out the bikes and ride these fantastic hills, valleys, and largely empty, spacious roads. Okay, I have been very happy to host and very, very happy to meet so many of the good people who frequent this Forum. Tom Byrnes and Dennis Cotcamp, Keith A. and dirtdigger, Davep and Russ and Rafael the FlaRider, Dave Kirk and spinner and Maryann, these and all who came (please, take no offense!) are wonderful people who I consider real friends and who have come great distances just for a weekend of riding and smoozing. I am most grateful for that, feeling honored to do what I can to host and to lead or rather just guide the direction of the rides. We have done this now two seasons.

But I have also wanted to retain a great deal of the informality and casualness of this "event." The good people at Serotta organize a wonderful Open House and there is no comparison between their event and our casual weekend of riding. Serotta does a great job, accepts a fee, has a registration, I am sure has some sort of insurance, etc., and so hosts and fetes the wonderful people who ride their bikes. From all accounts this is a swell time and I regret that I have not yet been able to attend. (I have a schedule that rarely relents and rarer still on weekends ---more than 20 of which in 2005 will be spent on the road giving yoga seminars, just as an fyi, no big deal, it's my choice, etc.) The Highlander Tour takes you for a whole day on one of the very best organized and supported events in these beautiful lakes. Again, a fee, registration, rules, and an organized event. I choose not to ride the Highlander as a formal event. Personally, I am not keen on such formalities or organized jaunts and while there is the "good cause" thing, I am more inclined to ride with friends. The TdFL has been as rule-free as possible: it's a come as you like, make your own arrangements, this is the schedule we've merely suggested, come on over for dinner sort of thing.

If there is to be another TdFL that I host then this largely rule-free, only structurally organized situation must persist. Rides must be casual so that we are not zooming, really stretching out of sight of each other, and generally riding within a pass-the-word distance (you know, where you can still communicate with the front by passing the word up the line, even a very long line). I understand that some people are faster or came all this way and find it a shame not to hammer. I will create some routes and rides for those folks but will not participate. The rides I lead will generally keep everyone together. I know this sounds like rules (and I've already mentioned my general disdain in this respect) but I personally don't want to host an event, such as it is, that can't include everyone who shows up. What people decide to do by themselves is not my business. But if we do this again and if folks ride off or ride hard (we had a Sunday ride, SUNDAY! that averaged 20mph...too fast and again we were well out of pass-the-word distance), well, that will be my last time out. I'm not insisting that people like what I like only that I am unwilling to "lead" rides that are not together, casual, and at a moderate speaking-pace. I am happy to suggest some routes in the neighborhood if you come to visit.

I will try to nail down a date as soon as possible. I have a commitment to my children and I teach yoga seminars during the summer. Not for anything but many of you know that I have some small role with several bicycle companies, all in a non-paying, consulting role. I have no financial stake in this or any other aspect of bicycling that turns a profit to me. I know others have serious commitments too that require planning. It is not lack of planning that I am suggesting, it is a more easy going agenda of rides and comraderie. As it was last time, I will suggest local inns, places to eat, and give directions to get around Canandaigua, Bloomfield, Bristol, and Honeyoe Lake. It sure is beautiful here in the summer and, while I am partial, there is no better place to ride in America in the summer season than here. I turned down another trip to Italy this May because the riding is better in the Finger Lakes, imo, and I'd rather stay home.

I don't mean to sound reluctant or in any way ungrateful. I also don't think that my participation is required to make this event even happen! I will open our house, let folks enjoy my bicycles and ride them, and invite people over for dinner, even continue to guide the rides. But it will remain, as far as I am concerned, a come as you are, casual event with no fees and as few collectively agreed upon rules as possible. I write here merely to express my considered opinions and to extend again the possibility of a SerottaForum inspired TdFL.

dbrk

Ken Robb
12-29-2004, 12:06 PM
sounds like a great plan Douglas. I've never done any of the organized rides. They always sound to me like I would be taking my own traffic jam with me.

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Make up a couple of maps for faster paced rides, hand 'em out, and turn 'em loose! I'm sure one of your local friends would be willing to serve as unofficial ride leader. Gives everybody a choice and still leaves things fairly well unorganized!

BBDave