PDA

View Full Version : cyclingtv.com, anyone?

Climb01742
05-06-2009, 05:56 AM
with the giro coming up, i'm thinking about signing up for cyclingtv. i just went to check out the site and within seconds, it crashed my browser. :crap:

are folks using it and liking it? i know in the past it was pretty iffy. has it gotten any better? is it mac-friendly? does it work better with particular browsers?

thanks for any tips.

Alan
05-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Ck http://www.cyclingfans.com/ as I have always been able to find other free feeds. They are very good about posting links that will work. I have watched a lot of cycling this yr from their links. I watch one feed and have the live Cyclingnews ticker up so I know what is going on. If you want english audio the Eurosport audio is very good.

Should be a good Giro especially w Levi as a favorite. It will be interesting to see how he does against Basso. We should see some younger talent step up.

Alan

Elefantino
05-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Have they secured the rights yet? I hear it has yet to be confirmed.

RAI plus the Eurosport English audio feed has always worked well for me. Last year, cyclingfans.com put together combos of the two.

For free.

cxsf
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
for a couple of months now. I was very hesitant to sign up given all of the bad reviews, but I wanted to be able to watch the races on my schedule and with English commentary, so the free links on cyclingfans were not really working out. I have been very pleasantly suprised. It works fine for me on the mac (safari) and pc (firefox). Once every hour or two it might lag for a few seconds, but it's usually not a problem. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth just watching the classics.

jimp1234
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Cycling.tv hasn't secured the rights to broadcast the Giro, and like Versus, is trying to negotiate a last minute deal this week. The "buzz" on cycling.tv recently is that it has gotten better and I might join if they secure the Giro rights, but I hate watching TV on my 'puter. The fall back might be the steephill.tv site below. For my fellow geek-cyclists I've been following the development of media server software (for folks who like hulu or have a netflix account I've included a link below you might want to check out -- no affiliation btw, just like their software but be warned its not too far out of beta) which allows you to broadcast web content to your PS3 or Xbox so you watch on your big screen. No unfortunately it doesn't work with cycling.tv yet.....

http://www.themediamall.com/playon

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/#tv-schedule

1centaur
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Brendan at CC commented recently that cycling.tv had improved tremendously lately, but the Giro rights are not done yet. I'll pay for a site that gives me an hour's highlights later in the day - perfect for watching while on the trainer each evening.

GuyGadois
05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Brendan at CC commented recently that cycling.tv had improved tremendously lately, but the Giro rights are not done yet. I'll pay for a site that gives me an hour's highlights later in the day - perfect for watching while on the trainer each evening.

+1

I'll watch it live on the puter if neded but I would rather watch a 1 hour highlight reel watch night on the old TV.

-GG-

Marcusaurelius
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I've used it in the past and it worked well. There's not a lot of choices if you want to watch live video with english commentary.

dave thompson
05-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I'll be watching the Giro on TV, over there.

Climb01742
05-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I'll be watching the Giro on TV, over there.

darn you!! :beer:

enjoy!!

dave thompson
05-07-2009, 08:12 AM
darn you!! :beer:

enjoy!!
Oh ya. Cycling down from Germany to Budapest, watching the Giro recaps every night. Hardest part will be deciding on which beer to enjoy.

allezdude
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
After signing up several times over the years, I will never try cycling.tv again. customer service is horrible, their media player stinks, and the feeds mysteriously crash- usually in the last 10K! instead use one of the italian feeds from cycylingfans (but muted) and play the eurosport audio in a separate browser window.