PDA

View Full Version : Lynskey – Serotta Legend

ljdan
05-04-2009, 09:27 PM
HI,

In October of 2008 I became the proud owner of a Serotta Ottrott - SE; it took me about 12 months to decide to take the plunge, and it is beyond how good I thought it would be. In my quest for the perfect ride, I test rode a Serotta Legend. I did not expect it to be as smooth a ride as it was. In the end, I chose the Ottrott because of the overall, outstanding performance for touring, on the flat and in hilly terrain. Now I think I may want the Legend as well…which brings me to my quandary. If a Ti bike is in the cards for me, shouldn’t I also check out other ti bicycles?

The other manufacturer that has a storied and independent history is Lynskey. Does anyone have any experience with Lynskey, especially as compared to Serotta Legend – SE with Ti stay?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

rdparadise
05-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I have an earlier edition Litespeed Blue Ridge touring/cross frame. No ST rear and no carbon fiber fork. The workmanship on the Litespeed is considerably less then the Legend. The ride is nice, comfortable and much different then the Serotta because of design, wheelbase, etc. I haven't seen the new Lynsky's however, I've heard good things.

I would go with the Legend. Yes, I'm partial, however, the workmanship is superb, the ride fantastic, and very quick and comfortable.

Good luck.

Bob

Ken Robb
05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
how will you "check out" other ti bikes? I had a stock Legend all ti. and it was wonderful in every way.; I had an older lower level Litespeed and it was pretty good. I let the Legend go because my Hampsten Strada Bianca by Moots with YBB rear end and an AlphaQ cross fork provides more versatility for fatter tires and off road performance with a slight weight penalty.
There may be other ti bikes as good as a Legend but I don't think there can be any that are better. This is the Serotta Forum. You already know your Serotta dealer. Why take a chance elsewhere? :)

Ahneida Ride
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I love my Legend ...

and my great God children will love it too ...

caleb
05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Merlin really got ti going, and they produced some of today's best builders. For example, check out Tom Kellogg at Spectrum. There are several other one man shops out there that do good work in ti - search around and their names will pop up.

Similar "guild" setups to Serotta are Moots, Litespeed, Independent Fabrications, and Seven. Each has its own flavor, and it'd be both fun and worth your while to match yourself with the best builder. All of them do outstanding work. If you know what you want and can articulate it, you'll end up happy.

alancw3
05-05-2009, 06:25 AM
you can't go wrong with a legend ti and i have heard good things about lynsky. others worth considering imho are moots, seven and independant fabrication.

Ray
05-05-2009, 06:54 AM
There are plenty of great ti frames out there. If you love your Ottrott and know you want the SAME basic characteristics, get a Legend built to the same geo. If you know exactly what geometry you like, look around and see if there's a stock frame that works for you. If you want another custom but you don't want the same ride/handling characteristics of the Ottrott, try another custom builder. Spectrum is as good as it gets (I'm biased - I have two), Seven can be great if you find the right fitter, Strong does ti, there are others. I wouldn't necessarily get a Legend unless you want something very very similar to the Ottrott. But if you do, you can't go wrong with the Legend.

-Ray

csm
05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I have an all-ti legend... I really like it but I've been coveting others....
what size are you looking for?

Tim Porter
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi there: I'm mostly a lurker here, but this query is so close to my experience that I have to jump in. I've been drinking a lot of Serotta Kool-Aid in the last few years, including having gone through exactly the analysis you're going through. In March 2008 I got a great Ottrott through Signature Cycles, with a great fit from Lori Hoefer. I think I probably like it as much as you like yours! I retired a few years ago when I was 52, so I've got some time to travel, mostly to Italy.

I needed a bike that would be a back up to the Ottrott and perhaps a little more rugged and easy to travel with. If you're in love with the idea of a Ti version of your Ottrott, and you have any notion of traveling at all, may I modestly suggest you do what I did, which is to order a Legend TR sized identically to your Ottrott. Last winter, when Serotta had a sale ($1,500 off, IIRC) on its frames, I jumped on it and ordered the Legend TR SE with a very bare-bones look: brushed ti with no decals (though it has the Serotta logos in a polished finish that contrasts with the brushed ti). The S&S couplings add a tiny bit of weight, but you're not looking for a race bike, as far as I can tell. It packs into a suitcase that's 26 x 26 x 10. The ride is fantastic, and given that its size is identical to the Ottrott, if you close your eyes while riding (figuratively please, not literally), you can barely tell the difference. I've already had it in Mallorca for a week of riding this spring with the Signature Cycles group, and it was absolutely stellar--descends like a witch with my Clydesdalian weight and mad skills from 30+ years of doing this stuff. :)

HTH, Tim

caleb
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Revisiting this thread today two more guys come to mind - Steve Potts (http://www.stevepottsbicycles.com/) and Mike DeSalvo (http://www.desalvocycles.com/). They both get seemingly universal praise.

Pete Serotta
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Just as Tim said. You can get the same geo and overall feel with a LEGEND or a classique. If I were going ti......my choice is SEROTTA :D But KELLOGG, MOOTS, ERICKSEN are also wonderful bikes. If you are happy with SEROTTA keep it in the family...and get a bottle of red from me!!! :beer:

I have a Legend ti and an ottrott---The Ti has been with me to the west coast, Italy, France, and VT. It is not painted and so nothing ever chips. Wonderful ride and same goe/spec as my Ottrott.

Yes this from a very biased buy...Altough Tim can verify that from when we met at Signature for the wonderful event PAUL held. :D

Hi there: I'm mostly a lurker here, but this query is so close to my experience that I have to jump in. I've been drinking a lot of Serotta Kool-Aid in the last few years, including having gone through exactly the analysis you're going through. In March 2008 I got a great Ottrott through Signature Cycles, with a great fit from Lori Hoefer. I think I probably like it as much as you like yours! I retired a few years ago when I was 52, so I've got some time to travel, mostly to Italy.

I needed a bike that would be a back up to the Ottrott and perhaps a little more rugged and easy to travel with. If you're in love with the idea of a Ti version of your Ottrott, and you have any notion of traveling at all, may I modestly suggest you do what I did, which is to order a Legend TR sized identically to your Ottrott. Last winter, when Serotta had a sale ($1,500 off, IIRC) on its frames, I jumped on it and ordered the Legend TR SE with a very bare-bones look: brushed ti with no decals (though it has the Serotta logos in a polished finish that contrasts with the brushed ti). The S&S couplings add a tiny bit of weight, but you're not looking for a race bike, as far as I can tell. It packs into a suitcase that's 26 x 26 x 10. The ride is fantastic, and given that its size is identical to the Ottrott, if you close your eyes while riding (figuratively please, not literally), you can barely tell the difference. I've already had it in Mallorca for a week of riding this spring with the Signature Cycles group, and it was absolutely stellar--descends like a witch with my Clydesdalian weight and mad skills from 30+ years of doing this stuff. :)

HTH, Tim

Tim Porter
05-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Sure, Pete, you're biased, if by "biased" you mean having a strong preference for a product after vast experience with the alternatives, such as one might be biased toward RED. :p Tim

jblande
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I have been riding my new Classique Ti with couplers for about three weeks now and could not be happier.

jbb
04-20-2012, 01:14 PM
stay with what you know. some may be as good but i doubt you will find better.

jpw
04-20-2012, 01:21 PM
stay with what you know. some may be as good but i doubt you will find better.

This thread is three years old.

djg21
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
HI,

In October of 2008 I became the proud owner of a Serotta Ottrott - SE; it took me about 12 months to decide to take the plunge, and it is beyond how good I thought it would be. In my quest for the perfect ride, I test rode a Serotta Legend. I did not expect it to be as smooth a ride as it was. In the end, I chose the Ottrott because of the overall, outstanding performance for touring, on the flat and in hilly terrain. Now I think I may want the Legend as well…which brings me to my quandary. If a Ti bike is in the cards for me, shouldn’t I also check out other ti bicycles?

The other manufacturer that has a storied and independent history is Lynskey. Does anyone have any experience with Lynskey, especially as compared to Serotta Legend – SE with Ti stay?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I ride a Lynskey 420 which is one of the best bikes I've ridden. I've previously own Merlins and Litespeeds (both pre-ABG). The Lynskey is far stiffer in the BB than the Litespeed Vortex I used to own, by virtue of the bi-axial downtube. The welds are great. Others here undoubtedly will tell you to look at Moots, Erickson, Kent, etc. They all make good bikes!

One thing you might consider is the issue of warranty. I wouldn't buy a high-end bicycle frame from any manufacturer that might not be around for long to offer warranty service.

old_fat_and_slow
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM

SamIAm
04-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Gee, considering this thread is three years old, combined with the fact that the OP has a grand total of three-whole posts. What do you consider the odds are that your sage advice is going to reach him?

Would somebody happen to be tryin' tah build up their post count? Just sayin'. YMMV

Well he also dragged up another ancient thread on a Serotta, so maybe we have some guerilla marketing at work.:)

jpw
04-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Gee, considering this thread is three years old, combined with the fact that the OP has a grand total of three-whole posts. What do you consider the odds are that your sage advice is going to reach him?

Would somebody happen to be tryin' tah build up their post count? Just sayin'. YMMV

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=52907

How cynical;)

djg21
04-20-2012, 02:01 PM
How cynical;)

I admit that I didn't even look at the date of the thread, and presumed it was current due to the fact that is showed up just below the stickies.

MattTuck
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
I admit that I didn't even look at the date of the thread, and presumed it was current due to the fact that is showed up just below the stickies.

I once read an entire 8 page thread, only to realize it was 5+ years old. I ALWAYS check the date when a multiple page thread I haven't seen before pops up all of a sudden..

Black Dog
04-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Someone may be getting ready to sell some stuff in the classifieds...;)

ding ding ding...we have a winner.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108257

old_fat_and_slow
04-20-2012, 02:24 PM

eippo1
04-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Someone may be getting ready to sell some stuff in the classifieds...;)

ding ding ding...we have a winner.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108257

effing ridiculous. I guess this is a lot more creative than posting "nice bike" over and over in the galleries like I've seen done.