PDA

View Full Version : Polar HRM battery replacement

BumbleBeeDave
05-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I see from Polar's web site that they have a NY service center where I can send my watch/receiver for battery replacement. Anyone have experience with how long this takes and what their general level of service is?

I'm also wondering about their chest sensor trap. I have the coded one and I've been having problems with the receiver picking up the signal. I noticed when I have the "pod" portion centered right over my sternum it doesn't always have good contact with my skin because of the natural indentation between the pecs. A buddy told me to rotate the strap around so the pod is on the left just under the nipple because that's more where your heart is anyway. Now I've read that the actual sensors for the strap are not in the pod--it's just the transmitter. They are actually in the strap itself on either side of the pod. Does anyone know for sure exactly which part of the whole strap package I really need next to my skin to get the best signal?

The whole thing has just been working a bit inconsistently and I'm trying to figure out if it's the battery in the watch, the sensor strap, the pod, the placement of it, etc.

BBD

Skrawny
05-04-2009, 03:43 PM
That grey, metallic like, fabric on either side of the snap on pod is the sensor. If you dampen it prior to exercising that will help with contact.
-s

regularguy412
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I do not have an 'Own-Code' strap, but I use one of the older styles (battery not replaceable). The 'sensors' are on either side of the center bulge. Good contact with the skin is necessary for the sensors to pick up. Some people use electrode gel to get a good connection. However, I usually just moisten the sensors when I first put on the strap. By the time I've been riding a few minutes, I'm sweating enough to maintain a good connections.

As far as the receiver module battery replacement, I have done my own MANY times. I've owned three different Polar units. All have slightly different battery mountings. Unless the unit is still under warranty, I'd not worry about sending the unit in for service. The caveats presented in the literature note that , among other things, 'the unit may not be as water resistant as originally received unless the service center does the battery replacement' (or words to that effect). I have not noted this in my experience. If you have replaced watch batteries before, it's really not a lot different. You usually just need a set of pin vise screw drivers, because the screw heads are so tiny.

Mike in AR:beer:

simple
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I changed the battery on a 725 I had a while back, next time I showered with the watch it died. :crap: Unless it's an el-cheapo version or one you don't mind replacing then I'd suggest sending it in for service, just expect to be without it for ~3 weeks.

CaptStash
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
As far as the receiver module battery replacement, I have done my own MANY times. I've owned three different Polar units. All have slightly different battery mountings. Unless the unit is still under warranty, I'd not worry about sending the unit in for service. The caveats presented in the literature note that , among other things, 'the unit may not be as water resistant as originally received unless the service center does the battery replacement' (or words to that effect). I have not noted this in my experience. If you have replaced watch batteries before, it's really not a lot different. You usually just need a set of pin vise screw drivers, because the screw heads are so tiny.

Mike in AR:beer:

+1. I just replaced my wife's battery in her watch and it was embarrassingly easy. The only caveat is that you do have to have a good set of teensy weensy screwdrivers. But seems to me that the drivers will still cost less than sending it in.

CaptStash....

Ozz
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
+1. I just replaced my wife's battery in her watch and it was embarrassingly easy. The only caveat is that you do have to have a good set of teensy weensy screwdrivers. But seems to me that the drivers will still cost less than sending it in.

CaptStash....
CaptStash.....was your wife's watch a Polar? There is Polar service center over in Bellevue (Crossroads) inside the Fred Meyer.....stupid convenient for me. A real nice guy runs the shop.

BBD - get the strap sensors wet before you ride and you will get a better signal. The pod is not the sensors...it is just the transmitter.

keno
05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
you can get the teensy screwdriver at the checkout counter at many drugstores as part of an eyeglasses repair kit for about a buck. You can buy the batteries on eBay for cheap. I have changed the batteries in all of my watches needing a new battery, and have never had a problem. Having played with all of those 'spensive cameras etc., this should be an inexpensive walk in the park done with little delay. Just go slow and make sure you get the rubber gromet seated well.

keno

BumbleBeeDave
05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
The pod is not the sensors...it is just the transmitter.

I've been putting gel on the wrong part for the whole time I've owned it! Ack!

Also, on the receiver, I took it to the guy at the mall who always replaces my watch batteries--and despite being "the guy at the mall" he does know what he's doing. :rolleyes: He opened it up and the battery is between two layers of circuit boards. There's two little clasps that hold the two boards together and unless you unhook them you can't get the old battery out. He told me he could tackle it if I wanted, but that it might be best if I sent it in to the manufacturer. I actually appreciate him being that honest about it. It takes a pro to know everything. It takes a real pro to admit he doesn't know everything.

Guess I'll send it into Polar.

BBD

Ozz
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
...There's two little clasps that hold the two boards together and unless you unhook them you can't get the old battery out. ...
BBD
Those little boards also have circuit contacts on them, and if they don't line up right, the display gets all screwy.....my "pro" had to take another look at mine after he replaced the battery cuz the display was not all it should be.

Good luck!

PaulE
05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I had a watchmaker replace the battery in my S210 this past winter. After that, the buttons were very recalcitrant, but it did work. A few months later the screen completely froze so I called Polar on their 800 #. They had me try the master reset button which would not unfreeze it. So I sent it back to Polar and they fixed it. Right now their backlog is much longer than the 7-10 working days they quote on their website. I sent it to them by US Priority mail on 4/3. They sent me an e-mail acknowledging receipt on 4/13, and another that it was fixed and on its way back on 4/29. I received it back on 5/1. Total cost of repair including a new T-31 coded transmitter and shipping was $51.90.

The Polar rep told me that my problem was not unique with batteries replaced by jewelers. I'm sure lots of people have changed their batteries successfully, but that was my experience. So I'll probably stick with shipping back to Polar again in the future.

BumbleBeeDave
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
. . . and I sure don't want to do without it for a whole month. So I guess I'll see what I can do myself to sort things out until the end of the season.

BBD

MattTuck
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.sarkproducts.com/

I've had good experiences with Jamie. He's a good guy and has a ton of Polar gear. Turns your stuff around quick too!

rockdude
05-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I have had great response from polars Service center. I sent my watch unit in for a battery replacement and got a new unit. My old unit had a slight bleed in the LCD from dropping it. Sent my wife unit in with a botton missing, they sent her back a new watch unit.