PDA

View Full Version : Another wheel question....

gearguywb
05-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Thinking of going to a handbuilt wheel. One recommendation was a Kinlin XR270, White Industries hubs, Sapim spokes (20 radial front, 24 2X rear). Me: 205 lbs, ride pretty hard...a lot of rides turn into sprints (life is training:)), but I am careful not to run over potholes, etc. Currently riding Mavic Ksyrium ES's. So...what say you?

csm
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd go 24 front/28 rear.

jlwdm
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I would have the wheels built by one of the top wheel builders often mentioned on the forum (Joe Young, Ergott, Dave Thomas-Speed Dreams, etc) and have the builder build them as they see fit.

Jeff

csm
05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
are you thinking of building them yourself or using a builder?
If you are using a builder I'd approach it like I would a custom frame. I'd expect to consult with him/her and be able to offer my input as well as hear some recommendations. however, wheel building is not some mythic ability that only certain folks can do. it really is approachable by everyone. it does get better with experience but there is no reason to think that you couldn't do it yourself.
I've built up many sets and the must important thing is patience.

Gothard
05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Sapim spokes (20 radial front, 24 2X rear). Me: 205 lbs, ride pretty hard... So...what say you?

I'd say very nice, but I'd also be afraid of them not being strong enough. I'd go 24/28 or even 28/32. If you have other wheels, go for it! If they are to be your only wheels/only good wheels, then no.

gearguywb
05-04-2009, 02:55 PM
are you thinking of building them yourself or using a builder?
If you are using a builder I'd approach it like I would a custom frame. I'd expect to consult with him/her and be able to offer my input as well as hear some recommendations. however, wheel building is not some mythic ability that only certain folks can do. it really is approachable by everyone. it does get better with experience but there is no reason to think that you couldn't do it yourself.
I've built up many sets and the must important thing is patience.

Thanks for the input. No way I would build them, as much as I would love to, I do not have the knowledge, expierence, or tools. This one falls into the category of letting the masters do what they do best.

jbrainin
05-04-2009, 03:08 PM
No way you should be riding 20/24 at your weight unless you are really fond of roadside repairs. Given the use of normal sized spokes (vs. the oversized ones used on Ksyriums) I would not go any lower than 28/32. Since you are not building the wheels yourself, I'd go with the wheel-builder's suggestion, unless the wheel-builder suggests something less than 28/32 in which case I'd probably look for a different wheelbuilder.

dookie
05-04-2009, 03:20 PM
at 180-185 with similar riding habits, i've been on a set of the 30mm kinlins built 20/24 for ~5k with zero issues. my 6'2 200+lb wheelbuilder also rides them in 20/24 without issue. yes, i realize you're talking about the 27mm, but those rims are extremely strong and will take lots of spoke tension.

$0.02.

[oh...and i happen to have a set currently listed in the classifieds]

djg21
05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Do a 32 hole 3x with 14/15 double-butted spokes and brass nipples (at least on the rear). If you want zoot, do a set of King hubs and some Open 4 CD Sup Ceramic rims (I think the harder braking service is good for big guys who are tough on equipment), or better yet, spend your money on a Powertap rear hub. At your weight (which is also my weight), wheels with a low spoke-count will not be reliable, and will provide only a de minimis return in terms of weight savings or aerodynamics.