PDA

View Full Version : DA downtube levers work in barcon pods?

eddief
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I am thinking the answer is yes, but wanted to make sure before I began the experiment. So happens one set of bar con levers went to a Paul Thumbie install....so have bar con pods and and downtube levers hanging around.

eddief
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
and think this won't work due to the little part that connects the the lever to either the downtube or the pod. That little part for downtube levers is curved to match the tube and that part that goes into the pods has a straight face.

Ray
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
and think this won't work due to the little part that connects the the lever to either the downtube or the pod. That little part for downtube levers is curved to match the tube and that part that goes into the pods has a straight face.
I'm not 100% sure I'm following, but I really don't think you NEED (or even could use if you wanted to) that piece on the DT set that's curved to match the frame. That part, IIRC is built into the barcon pod - or comes as part of the assembly). Or did you have to use that part of the barcon assembly with the Pauls? I honestly don't recall if I've done this with Shimano downtube levers, but I think I have. I KNOW for dead certain that I've done it with the Suntour Sprint levers (which Riv's current 'silver' shifters are an exact copy of). I have a set of the Suntours in a set of Paul Thumbies on my town bike right now. Most combinations work - take another look.

-Ray

eddief
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
so all i have is the curved plate that comes with the downtube shifters. to make the downtube shifters work with the barcon pods, i would need another pair of the flat faced backing plates. god knows where you could get an extra set of those. now if he would just call me to let me know.

eddief
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
cause maybe he has just the ticket. he sells the little flat faced washer/spacers for $2 each.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/shifters_and_derailers#product=17-068

Ray
05-04-2009, 03:37 PM
cause maybe he has just the ticket. he sells the little flat faced washer/spacers for $2 each.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/shifters_and_derailers#product=17-068
Cool. Problem solved?

-Ray

JD Smith
05-05-2009, 12:45 AM
so all i have is the curved plate that comes with the downtube shifters. to make the downtube shifters work with the barcon pods, i would need another pair of the flat faced backing plates. god knows where you could get an extra set of those. now if he would just call me to let me know.

Any reason why you can't grind the curves down flat?

Tom Matchak
05-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Those little backing/indexing pieces are pretty easy to modify into the flat shape necessary to mate with barcon pods. Easiest is to press it against an 80-grit sanding belt, but you can do the job by swiping it against a file. The tricky part is hanging onto those little buggers, but I've done this a number of times, and my finger tips survived.

eddief
05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
at $2 each. Then if I ever want them for downtubes, I still have the non-ground-down originals.