PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Tubular Rims

saab2000
12-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know the hierarchy of the old Campagnolo tubular rims? There are some for bid on e-bay and I have heard that some of them were truly superb rims.

Has anyone got an opinion on the Victory Strada rims? Any info would be welcome. I am looking for a good set of tubular rims to build up for next season. I still have my eyes on some Mavic SSC Paris-Roubaix rims I know of, but I am also looking at other options.

Thanks

ShockTreatment
12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I have a set. They are from the mid-eighties, and well made rims that built up nicely. They were at the lower end of the Campy rim line, below Record. If I remember correctly, they were advertised at about 340 grams, and are certainly more lightweight (and not as strong) as the Mavic SSCs. A decent sized pothole hit can easily trash one.
-ST

saab2000
12-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I am looking primarily for strength and stiffness. Lightweight is secondary. The SSCs will do just fine, but the drilling of the ones I have available is not what I am looking for. Nevertheless, I may get them and simply work with that. But I am holding out for the drilling of my choice, 28 front and 32 rear.

ShockTreatment
12-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Saab,

I use the same drilling. I've had excellent experience with the older GP4 rims. Never dented one in over 20 years of use. Currently, I'm running an Araya Aero 1 in the front.

oracle
12-27-2004, 10:52 AM
victory strada A-#1! nice light rim.

shinomaster
12-27-2004, 08:24 PM
what about these?http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=113&subcategory=1128&brand=&sku=12747&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

oracle
12-27-2004, 10:22 PM
i have never ridden on the record stradas to my knowledge, but campy rims are generally a safe bet. at that price, they're a good bet.

Ozz
12-29-2004, 08:55 AM
I was looking for some cheap (inexpensive) tubular rims and posed the same sort of question...I believe "the jerk" told me that there were some problems with campy rims from the early 90's or so....

After watching ebay and seeing most of these rims go for around $50 a pair, I just bit the bullet and bought some new Mavic Reflex rims...