PDA

View Full Version : Will Jeannie Longo EVER slow down?

BumbleBeeDave
05-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Oldsters like me, take heart . . . see the VN story below. Note the 2nd-4th place finishers . . . Assuming my Google research is accurate . . .

2nd place Edwige Pitel is 42.

3rd place Karine Gautard is 25.

4th place Aude Biannic is 18.

5th place Pascale Jeuland is 22.

Longo is 50.

BBD

Longo wins Trophée des Grimpeurs ...again
By VeloNews.com
Posted May. 3, 2009

French champion Jeannie Longo, won France’s Trophée des Grimpeurs (the Climbers' Trophy) in Argenteuil for the fifth time in her career on Sunday.

The 50-year-old from Grenoble finished alone, 53 seconds ahead of teammate Edwige Pitel.

Longo won the event 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2008, a record made all the more impressive given that the Trophée des Grimpeurs, part of the Coupe de France, didn’t include a womens event until 2000.

The seemingly unstoppable Longo, who finished second in Friday’s Souvenir Magali-Pache, an individual time trial in Switzerland, is expected to defend her French national road and time trial titles in Saint-Brieuc in late June.

Longo, who has more than 1100 wins to her credit, will turn 51 in October.

Top-5, Trophée des Grimpeurs
1. Jeannie Longo (ASPSA), 60km in 1:37:42
2. Edwige Pitel (ASPSA), at 0:53
3. Karine Gautard (Futuroscope), at 1:05
4. Aude Biannic (Bretagne), at 2:08
5. Pascale Jeuland (Futuroscope), at 2:08

blschaefer1
05-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Amazing. I had no idea, seems almost superhuman.

Reminds me of Ned Overend a little...., or Dave Wiens, the 44 year old stay at home dad that has beaten Landis and Lance respectively for the past two years at the Leadville 100.

There are some amazing athletes out there - stories like this are very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

So what's my excuse for being so slow at 46?

sloji
05-03-2009, 10:14 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/8484705

fixednwinter
05-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Longo is a beast - incredible rider. I still remember her on the Tour podium, the last year Hinault won - in '85!

And is it true that she's won more races than even Eddy?

BumbleBeeDave
05-03-2009, 12:06 PM
And is it true that she's won more races than even Eddy?

She's won more races than anyone, male or female.

It's lucky for Lance she isn't racing against him. She'd probably beat him. ;)

BBD

merckx
05-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I did the Mount Washington hill climb the year Longo was there. After the race, I had the opportunity to sit with her in the lodge at the summit for a chat. She sat all alone at a table while the stragglers finish their effort to the summit. Everyone in the lodge was in awe of her and kept a distance so she continued to sit by herself. I walked over to her table and asked her if I could sit down. She pulled a chair out and told me to have a rest. I had a nice chat with her. She said how much she enjoyed coming to the states because no one knew her and she could enjoy her peace. She specifically said how much she enjoyed going to Colorado to race and train. Our conversation was a nice conclusion to my day.

cadence90
05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Amazing. I had no idea, seems almost superhuman.

Reminds me of Ned Overend a little...., or Dave Wiens, the 44 year old stay at home dad that has beaten Landis and Lance respectively for the past two years at the Leadville 100.

There are some amazing athletes out there - stories like this are very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

So what's my excuse for being so slow at 46?
Longo really is incredible. I hope she goes on forever.

I just read that ex-UTenn sprinter and Bears/Raiders receiver Willie Gault ran a 10.80 in the 100m at the Mt. SAC Relays (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoPSIgYw0n94IgWDXaGjb9NDubYF?slug=li-gault050109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) a couple of weeks ago...in his first race of the season...at the ripe young age of...48!
Just 0.70 seconds slower than his personal best, set 30 years ago.
He also holds the 45-49 age group world records of 10.72 in the 100m and 21.80 in the 200m. Wow.