PDA

View Full Version : Tires for Eurus rims?

mikemets
12-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Hello all, and Happy Holidays!

I've been using Michelin Pro Race tires for the last couple of years and am very happy with them, BUT they are a bear to mount on my Eurus wheels, no problem on my Velocity rims by the way.

Can anyone recommend a real nice tire that will mount much easier on my Eurus rims?

Thanks,
Mike

Bill Bove
12-27-2004, 08:10 AM
For racing only, Vittoria Diamente Pro Lights, theya are the 2005 replacement for the Ultra Speed. A very light, THIN tire that mounts with out tools on my Eurus'. For daily riding try the Bontrager Race X Light, you do need to use levers but they're not that tight and they ride superbly and are very puncture resistant,

mikemets
12-27-2004, 08:30 AM
For racing only, Vittoria Diamente Pro Lights, theya are the 2005 replacement for the Ultra Speed. A very light, THIN tire that mounts with out tools on my Eurus'. For daily riding try the Bontrager Race X Light, you do need to use levers but they're not that tight and they ride superbly and are very puncture resistant,

Thanks Bill!

I'll give the Bontragers a try. I had made a note from a few months ago that the Vittoria Open Corsa CX would mount OK, but that they aren't very puncture resistant. Have you ever tried these?

dave thompson
12-27-2004, 08:38 AM
mikemets: The Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX that came out late last year are much better at resisting punctures than the old CX. I've been running them for a year now with no flats.

Ozz
12-28-2004, 09:11 AM
I've had no problems with Conti GP 3000's for the past two years....

va rider
12-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I run the Veloflex Pave's on my Eurus, no problem.

But, let me pass on a little helper. The first time I mount new tires, I just put them on initially without the tubes. Then, I take the tires completely off and re-mount with the tubes. That seems to make pretty much any tire mount easily.

Ray
12-28-2004, 09:27 AM
You might try Vredestiens. I've never tried Euros, but I ride the same tires as you and have ridden Fortezzas in the past. The Fortezzas mounted much more easily than the Michelins. On an open pro wheelset, I'd pretty much always get the Vreds on and off without needing tire levers.

-Ray

Todd Owen
12-28-2004, 09:42 AM
One of my friends at excel sports recommends you replace the rim strip with a thinner rim strip. the extra bulk in the original campy strip is what causes the problem. I use veloflex pace tires with my neutron rims still a bit tough on the first tire mounting. my vredstein tires always mount a bit easier.

RichMc
12-28-2004, 10:53 AM
I run these wheels with the Michelin Pro's. Tough to mount most times, yes, but I just deal with it. Some Michelin's needed a tire lever to get them on. The last one I mounted I just barely got on by hand. Let me assure you that with some pre-arthritic fingers my hand strength isn't what it used to be. The Vredesteins I mounted seemed OK. The Veloflex Pave was another super tough mount (even after being stretched on a front rim for over a month). A friend of mine that runs the carbon hub Eurus switched from the Michelins to the Open Corsas and says they're much easier to get on. Most of the time I'm just real careful and have to use the tire lever.

djg
12-28-2004, 03:19 PM
I've run open corsa CX tires on my Eurus wheels without trouble. No special installation problems that I can recall. When the last one finally gave up I stuck on a Vredestein Tricomp (happened to have it around) and that seemed to go on fine.