PDA

View Full Version : May is National Bike to Work Month!

thejen12
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I'd put out a friendly reminder that this month is National Bike to Work month! Here in the SF Bay Area, we have a little team challenge and corporate challenge going on. Check it out here, http://btwd.bayareabikes.org/ if anyone wants to sign up!

I found that people at work are very open to being asked to consider biking to work, I thought I'd have trouble forming one team, but now we have five and I'm working on a sixth! :banana:

Jenn

Satellite
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
thejen12,

Somebody tell Mother Nature, it has been rainy and over cast for the last two weeks. I just had Spectrum Powder Works do some work on my bike and I can't bring myself to get it dirty yet.

Satellite

mike p
05-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Bike Snob NYC has a different take on it-in may issue of Bicycling probably on his blog also.

Mike

jasond
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the reminders but is there any chance we can get this moved to a better month for the Northeast? This weeks forecast is overcast and rainy.

Jay

thejen12
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
thejen12,

Somebody tell Mother Nature, it has been rainy and over cast for the last two weeks. I just had Spectrum Powder Works do some work on my bike and I can't bring myself to get it dirty yet.

Satellite
One word... FENDERS! :D

Jenn

Satellite
05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
One word... FENDERS! :D

Jenn
On my VaMoots never!!! :no:

I'll get it dirty just NOT right now; she is still too pretty :banana: .

Volant
05-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately, around here, that means "National Get Killed Month." Roads are 20' across with NO shoulder (std. should be 24'). After the stripe, it's usually a 10' drop-off. New law states cars must give 3' to cyclists. But, nobody is obeying it. A cop buzzed a group the other day. My jaw just dropped! :eek: Mountain biking is the norm. Roadies are 'furnors to most.

Louis
05-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Unfortunately, around here, that means "National Get Killed Month."

Just out of curiosity, where is "here" ?

erector
05-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Just Saying,

We got a coalition of teachers and kids to ride their bikes to school in May. Posters up all around campus, and hopefully less congestion in the parking lot with our freshmen parents.

flydhest
05-04-2009, 07:01 AM
January through December is flydhest bike to work month.

ahumblecycler
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Unfortunately, around here, that means "National Get Killed Month." Roads are 20' across with NO shoulder (std. should be 24'). After the stripe, it's usually a 10' drop-off. New law states cars must give 3' to cyclists. But, nobody is obeying it. A cop buzzed a group the other day. My jaw just dropped! :eek: Mountain biking is the norm. Roadies are 'furnors to most.

Same here in KC, MO. My commute to Fort Leavenworth, KS, is bad regardless of the time. The area needs baby steps, maybe "commute to work month" before it could even consider giving up the hummers and SUVs.

znfdl
05-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Today's commute 53F, driving rain at 6am and a nice wind. Actually saw 8 other commuters, gotta love it.

sg8357
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
If we were serious about BTWM, we raise gas prices to $4.32.

That seemed to work last year.

Scott G.
Lives off a sprawl road, nobody rides a bike on it.