PDA

View Full Version : Did a bad bad thing....

chuckroast
05-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I bought a 2002 Airborne Zeppelin with full DA and Cane Creek wheels off Craigslist yesterday for a very fair price.

I haven't told my wife yet and she hasn't noticed (just another bike in the garage).

I don't need it and it doesn't have a mission in my household. I already have a titanium Serotta.

My original idea was to take the DA and Cane Creeks off and swap them onto the Serotta. Put the Ultegra on the Airborne and flip it for some amount less than I paid. Cheap upgrade to DA.

I put pedals on it tonight and rode it around the neighborhood.

It rode pretty nice. I might have to keep it around for awhile.

So, coming this summer.....look for a 58cm Airborne with Ultegra for a very attractive price.

Unless my wife notices sooner.

BillyBear
05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
...and twenty hail marys my son....then you are good to go!

Dekonick
05-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Flowers and a nice bauble are in order...

KeithS
05-01-2009, 09:09 PM
If it was a 56 I'd help you out too.

ti_boi
05-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Yes...I do completely understand....you are among friends. :beer:

dd74
05-02-2009, 01:56 AM
A couple spa treatments should even things out. Okay, maybe a couple dozen.

thinpin
05-02-2009, 04:55 AM
...and twenty hail marys my son....then you are good to go!
Ah... the joys of being Catholic

TimD
05-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Someone with reason to know once described cheating on your wife as like robbing a bank. Don't mess around with the local S&L, go after the Fed.

So, sell that thing and go for a Meivici as the 2nd bike you don't need :)

Elefantino
05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Ah... the joys of being Catholic
You forgot about the guilt ... :crap:

thinpin
05-02-2009, 05:52 PM
You forgot about the guilt ... :crap:
Good point :beer:

jimcav
05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
or just flip it now. pretty nice does not sound like it rides nicer than your others.

WayneJ
05-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Yup - I've had this same dilemma a few times and never got through it. That is how I ended up with more bikes than most shops. They become part of the family and I hate to give 'em up.

Be careful ... put two together in a closed space and before you know it, there are three. They're like rabbits I tell you !

fixednwinter
05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Sigh...my wife is a wonderful woman AND she is obsessed in following pro-level road racing. The whole Lance/cancer phenomenon has been inspirational to her (she's beaten back cancer twice) since 2001. She reads Velonews and Cyclingnews daily, and often calls me at work to inform me of the latest pro gossip. We've taken three vacations over the past four years which included following a pro-level stage race. She's renewed my Rouleur subscription as my birthday gift for the past two years.

That's the upside.

The downside - she knows bikes, she knows gear. I can't even upgrade a stem without her noticing.
"Hey, where did these new clipless Ti-spindled road pedals come from?"
"Is that a new Rapha long sleeve jersey?"
"How much did you spend on those Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheels and why didn't you tell me before you bought it?" :crap:

pdmtong
05-03-2009, 12:48 PM
recently i had to sell my 1979 econoline 250 van, the one with the 460 V8, which I used for windsurfing and more recently "storage". Out here in california we don't have basements or attics. instead we have small garages. so out from the van sprang forth 3 bikes and two frames - which were certainly going to be revealed in time...just not all at once. BUSTED! If only I could have passed smog ...

rpm
05-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Back in the 1970's, I had a yellow Schwinn Sports Tour, and I decided to trade it in on a new yellow Bottechia, assuming my wife wouldn't notice. And she wouldn't have, except that one day I stopped for gas before a trip, and I took my credit card out and left my wallet on the seat. The wallet had the sales slip for the new bike. I was busted, and kept the Schwinn for awhile longer. (Ironically, the Schwinn might actually have been a better, if heavier, bike. Those old filet brazed Schwinns were well made).

Now, 35 years later we have an accomodation, one of many that married people make along the way. She knows that I'll always be spending some money on new bike stuff, but I'm not going to go nutty and spend thousands of dollars. I pushed the limits last summer when I bought a CDA out of the garage, but the discount was large, and I built it up inexpensively.

By the way, is Jack Brunk married?

pdmtong
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
actually, there is an understanding oin our house too. we both spend what we want, knowing that no one goes crazy. I have money in the bank and no debt so it seems to work...