PDA

View Full Version : Value of Colorado AL, F/F/HS

tkbike
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I know I don't have very many post here, so I am just looking for a value. I am beginning to look for a Steel or Ti frame that is more my size, 59 or 60 and will need to strip the components from this bike to build a new one. As the title says it is a Colorado Aluminum 62 x 62, Kinesis fork and CK headset. I am the second owner and the bike has not had much use. Thanks for your help

Head Tube - 215
Steerer Tube - 290
Serial # KU7B0342, not sure how to decipher the serial numbers on the AL's

TimD
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
What is the length of the headtube and the fork steerer tube?

Could you post the serial number?

Thanks
Tim

Ken Robb
04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
if you ride a 62cm bike with the saddle that far above the bars are you sure you can be comfy on a 60cm. frame?

TimD
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
But who am I to say what fits & what doesn't? Since you brought it up, however... :)

It might be the camera angle, but that ST looks awfully slack to me, and the TT looks awfully long. Plus the saddle is way forward on a straight post. Again, may be the camera angle, but there may not be a lot of BB drop (I have recently learned there's a nontrivial difference bt. 7 and 8cm of BB drop :)). My theory is thus "too much reach".

Possible ways to correct:

. Flip the stem
. Use a shorter stem with less angle (say, 100x6 degrees, or 100x0 degrees)
. Go to a 'short reach' bar - such as an FSA Compact

Tim

alancw3
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
if you fit a 59 or 60 frame don't buy a 62X62 at any price. i would rather have a $400 bike that fits me well than a $4000 bike that does not fit me. it is just that simple.

tkbike
04-30-2009, 01:06 PM
This bike got me back into riding just over a year ago after an illness. I am in the 6'2.5" to 6'3" height range, for it's purpose(50 mile rides) it worked and I got a very good deal on it. Now that I am getting more into the sport I am looking for something a little shorter, you are correct.

rwsaunders
04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
It seems like CSI and Atlanta frames/forks seem to range anywhere from $400 to $750, older Legends up to $1,000. I'm sure that others will chime in.

Fwiw, I've seen a couple of the AL Serotta's on the roads around here.

giordana93
04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
it's worth whatever someone might be willing to pay for it. just like a house. sorry for the flip answer but it's true. aluminum, for better or worse, is not the cool material of the day today, so it's not likely to draw much attention, and the used market today is softer than I've ever seen it. much newer ti frames (maybe not serottas, but close) are going on the bay for $600, so adjust your expectations accordingly. what other people are trying to tell you regarding fit is that you might try to make this frame work by playing around with a few parameters. that way, if you do buy another frame, you'll be better equipped at figuring out the right size. there's more to it than "I need a 59 instead of a 62"
If you can pedal the one you've got, it might be better to keep it as a beater/rain bike because it's worth less than its true value (see my first sentence).

TimD
04-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks, TK, I thought I might be interested but that HT & steerer length aren't going to work for me. Good luck with the sale. Suggest $600 OBO BTW; the headset and fork are quality items but the material and geometry are going to be a bit of a challenge in the market ATMO.

John M
04-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Used aluminum frames only seem get maybe 300-500 depending on the brand, age, condition, etc... Maybe this one gets more for the Serotta name and the condition, which looks to be excellent for its age. Price may be downgraded though for the Kinesis fork. Nothing wrong with those functionally, but they can be bought used for less than $25. Also it is not a common size, so demand will be less.

I'd start at $500 for frame/fork/HS and go from there. Good luck!

djg
05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Honestly, I think that the parts are likely worth more than the frame (and maybe more than the bike).

I'm a Serotta fan -- I have three of them (a GP Suisse Ti for cross, an HSG Ti for road, and an older CSi converted to a road fixie). I bet the design is really fine. I bet it was built well. But I think that a used AL frame that's more than a decade old (and offers none of the advantages of contemporary AL tubing options), coupled with a less-than-wonderful fork, is not very likely to be a hot item. I could be wrong -- it's always possible that, for any given bike, somebody will really love it (maybe somebody loved that same model once, in that same size, and has been on the prowl ever since). A little more liberally, somebody looking for that size bike may find little to choose from locally, might like the ride pretty well, and might be happy to pay more than some imagined "market price." People sometimes get hammered selling three year old legends or 4 year old CIIIs or CIVs. An old AL model . . . ? Maybe 300 for the frameset (frame, fork, headset) and willing to entertain offers?

Dekonick
05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Being that is is AL (I have one BTW - sitting gathering dust) it is not going to be easy to sell. It would make a nice trainer bike (sweat) or rain bike. I am keeping mine as the $100 I can get for it isn't enough to make me want to sell.

Good luck!